• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday dinner with kids

Trishiad

I'll be in Sonoma on Saturday for a demo class taught by Michael Recchuiti (he has just published his first book). I've been too busy to celebrate my birthday this week and thought Saturday would be a good time for the whole family. I'd like something nice but not too expensive and doable with my 3 year old son and my 9 year old brother (I've a crazy mother!). Any ideas?

Marys pizza shack on the plaza or the red grape pizza on 1st street west. Even better would be to go to Pizzera Capri on Broadway and then to Train town next door. http://www.traintown.com/, http://www.theredgrape.com/

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Not at all, however this weekend IS the Sonoma Harvest Fair so the area is going to be very, very busy. Call ahead for reservations wherever you want to go, just to make sure.

Feeling like a broken record, I'm sure Winesonoma will agree that THE place to eat in Sonoma these days is The General's Daughter. He, Wolfert, and I are big on Chef Dishman's creations, the beautiful atmosphere, and the perfect service.

Other hot spots include:

La Salette

Cafe La Haye

Glen Ellen Oyster Grill and Martini Bar

• 2 weeks later...

I had a disappointing meal at GD in Sept. I was annoyed that we use one of our well-planned dinner reservations used there. Service was not good, wine served in warm glasses, special request to leave mignonette sauce off oysters was not paid attention to and it took too much time to get the server to come back and see what was wrong. Salmon dish I had was boring. Other patrons there in shorts and flip-flops. I would not splurge there.

I had a disappointing meal at GD in Sept.  I was annoyed that we use one of our well-planned dinner reservations used there.  Service was not good, wine served in warm glasses, special request to leave mignonette sauce off oysters was not paid attention to and it took too much time to get the server to come back and see what was wrong.  Salmon dish I had was boring.  Other patrons there in shorts and flip-flops.  I would not splurge there.

Cat ,

Very sorry to hear about your lack luster meal, I will personally apologize for that, please come by and give us a chance to share a great experience , we dont miss the mark many times, sorry again for not meeting your expectations.

preston dishman

chef - generals daughter