• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teochew Steamed Fish

Tepee

hrzt, try to speak without your HK accent... :laugh:  What is choy poh?

To me, this sounds like an elderly Chinese woman with the surname of CHOY. I take exception to being minced! :blink:

Choy poh, as subtitled in an earlier post, is preserved turnip.

Please don't be too sensative. In this forum, all we talk about is choy - different Chinese dishes. :raz::laugh:

Ok, so choy poh = ham choy

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Choy poh/chai poh/chaibuoyan is preserved daikon, usually comes chopped coarsely and light brown in colour. There are two versions, one that's very salty, and another that's slightly sweet and not as salty. Never knew that the Teochew laid a claim to it.

It needs to be reconstituted in some water before use. A classic dish is chai poh omelette.

I remember encountering lots of it in Singapore. An essential ingredient in Chai Tow Kway and Chwee Kway.

Choy poh/chai poh/chaibuoyan is preserved daikon, usually comes chopped coarsely and light brown in colour.  There are two versions, one that's very salty, and another that's slightly sweet and not as salty.  Never knew that the Teochew laid a claim to it.

It needs to be reconstituted in some water before use.  A classic dish is chai poh omelette.

I remember encountering lots of it in Singapore.  An essential ingredient in Chai Tow Kway and Chwee Kway.

Choy Poh omelette is a staple in Teochew restaurant in Hong Kong, where people would order it to go with the plain congee(the choy poh that I get don't have to be reconstitued with water). I think in different region of Asia, people get different Teochew dishes. I never knew that cilantro is a Teochew thing since I don't really see it in Hong Kong's teochew restaurant.

...I think in different region of Asia, people get different Teochew dishes. I never knew that cilantro is a Teochew thing since I don't really see it in Hong Kong's teochew restaurant.

Probably....the cilantro thing was from my MIL, a very proud Teochew *sigh*

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

You sound like the teachers in my daughter's previous school...no dialects allowed, only pinyin please.

Yeah, no dialects. Maybe we just post in "standard" Chinese - written ones, the sqaures. :wink: Solve the dialect issue. (And scare Dejah away...)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

You sound like the teachers in my daughter's previous school...no dialects allowed, only pinyin please.

Yeah, no dialects. Maybe we just post in "standard" Chinese - written ones, the sqaures. :wink: Solve the dialect issue. (And scare Dejah away...)

:angry: Careful!

I have "friends" in Sacramento! :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yeah! Chinese Characters -- then I'll be all set! Mei wenti!

没问题

Dejah -- are those friends in Sacamento, like what we have here in NJ?

Or maybe I should just write them down from Toisanese/Cantonese, when they come up? ham choy is preserved mustard and choy poh is preserved turnip?

hzrt -- I meant to ask you. I was looking for salted mackeral in my Asian market yesterday. I finally found and bought it, but when I couldn't find it at first, I wondered if preserved turnip -- which I have, give the same salted taste for your Mustard Green dish?

hzrt -- I meant to ask you. I was looking for salted mackeral in my Asian market yesterday. I finally found and bought it, but when I couldn't find it at first, I wondered if preserved turnip -- which I have, give the same salted taste for your Mustard Green dish?

I think they will taste very different, but you can try it and see if you like it.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"