• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need to find Butter Tart recipe

ksaw29

Ok guys, I'm looking for the best, super easy, yet ultra delish recipe for "Canada's own" Butter Tarts. One I could probably make in my muffin tins. If this topic was already discussed, please feel free to point me to the thread :smile:

Thanks a mill'.

The recipe Ling posted was basically fine, but I will suggest (after many happy years eating my mother's superb Butter Tarts, that raisins are a no-no. Currants are the thing, and also a teaspoon of vinegar. Believe it or not, the vinegar makes a huge difference. Make, eat, and swoon...

They sound great. I'd make them right now if it weren't 90F outside.

Sound doesn't begin to describe Marlene's Butter Tarts! They are wonderfully buttery and sweet and I can still taste them ... I went all the way to Raleigh to see if they matched their "advanced press." They did!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

They sound great. I'd make them right now if it weren't 90F outside.

Sound doesn't begin to describe Marlene's Butter Tarts! They are wonderfully buttery and sweet and I can still taste them ... I went all the way to Raleigh to see if they matched their "advanced press." They did!

When I saw this thread title I immediately thought, "Ask Marlene!"

The lady herself beat me to the punch. And Gifted Gourmet is quite right - they're wonderful and live up to all the hype.

Mmmmmm...Butter tarts. :wub::wub::wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Finally, an opportunity to thank Marlene for her tasty Butter Tart Squares recipe.

For many years we went to Winnipeg every April to buy books. Everyone used to joke that I was much more interested in the butter tarts than the books & I must admit that there was a certain amount of truth to that. We always ate butter tarts all the way home & stashed the rest in the freezer for later.

When, due to circumstances beyond our control, we had to abandon our April trip, I became a victim of SBTDS. (Severe butter tart deprivation syndrome)

Then Marlene posted her wonderful recipe, which I now make regularly. I still miss Winnipeg, but by golly, we can at least get our butter tart fix.

:wub: Thank you Marlene. :wub:

pat w

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

The recipe Ling posted was basically fine, but I will suggest (after many happy years eating my mother's superb Butter Tarts, that raisins are a no-no.  Currants are the thing, and also a teaspoon of vinegar.  Believe it or not, the vinegar makes a huge difference.  Make, eat, and swoon...

I agree. Vinegar is a key ingredient. Though I would ditch the raisins and the currents, and do some kind of nut instead. I find that butter tarts tend to be overly sweet as they are, and raisins only add to the sweetness, while nuts balance it a bit.

You can certainly use currants, although raisins are the traditional dried fruit. In either case, soaking them for 10 minutes or so is a good idea to "plump them up". Vinegar is good, although I sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

Pecans and walnut bits are popluar in many butter tart recipes as well. I just don't use them because my husband won't eat stuff with nuts in it.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I just had to add my 2 cents to this.........

Here is the family favourite butter tart receipe. It has been used for years by my mother and grandmother and now myself. I think it is the best I have ever tasted. I make these in huge quantities at Christmas for friends and family who insist that the holidays would not be the same without my butter tarts.

1 cup raisins,

3/4 - 1 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp butter

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

Pour boiling water over raisins and let stand and plump for a few minutes. Drain raisins and while still hot add butter, stir, add brown sugar, stir and add remaining ingredients.

Let mixture sit while you are preparing the tart crusts. It will get nice and runny.

Fill unbaked tart shells about 3/4 full.

Bake at 400 degrees until bubbly. Do not overcook, or they will be dry. They should have a slightly runny consistency when you bite into them.

Nuts in butter tarts - this is a hottly debated issue in our family. Generally thought by the majority (myself included) to be a horrible sin, digressing from the true nature of butter tarts.

Vinegar - personally I have never used it in a butter tart, but to each his own.

Life is short, eat dessert first

I like raisins in my butter tarts. I love butter tarts but I don't remember ever making them at home. What does the vinegar do? Does the acidity just cut through some of the sweetness to make the filling less cloying?

Butter tarts are one of the easiest things to make. If you don't do pastry (like me) you can always use tart shells (shhhhh). The vinegar is intended to cut some of the sweetness. Some people like them really sweet, some don't. And I agree with forever_young_ca, they gotta be runny when you bite into them!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks everyone and to Marlene for your wonderful suggestions :smile: I am happy to know I posted something that was very warm to a lot of us. In the words of Homer Simpson "Mmmmm Buuuuuttteeerrr Taarrts".

I'll try making them and let you know how they turned out.

Thanks again.