• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for unusual ingredients in Seattle

Just got a newsletter today stating that Fero's is open, maybe they have them? I'm really surprised that Don and Joes doesn't.

"Fero's Meat Market Now Open

For those who have missed having a meat market in the former Crystal Meats space in the Pike Place Market's Corner Market, here is good news! Fero's Meat Market is now open. Owner Semsi Fero and his son Gani promise 100% customer satisfaction, great prices, and a wide variety of meats.

Semsi has 35 years' experience in the meatcutting business. Originally from Turkey, Semsi has managed the meat department at Larry's in Bellevue for the last 10 years. Among the meats you'll find at Fero's are Fero's Famous Blue Cheese Burger and Butcher Burger, beef patties mixed with green pepper, onion, spices and other "secret ingredients," says Gani. They also grind their own beef.

Open 8am to 6pm daily, the Feros serve the highest quality USDA Prime and Choice beef. Prime cuts include Top Sirloin and New York steaks. Choice cuts of beef include Flank and T-Bone steaks and stew beef. There are also beef soup bones. The emphasis is on all-natural, grass-fed beef that haven't been given hormones or antibiotics.

Right now, you'll find special savings on Fero's chicken: $1.99/lb. for ground chicken, $2.49/lb. for Southern-grown chicken breasts, and $1.69/lb. for Washington-grown drumsticks. Also look for 100% certified-organic, free-range, Rosie-brand chickens.

A wide array of pork and lamb cuts can satisfy your cravings for wonderful entrees like tenderloin or roast, or leg of lamb. More exotic meats can be found, too, such as duck, rabbit and Halal meats such as goat. Marinated meats are ready to cook if you're dashing home from the office. Special orders are always welcome at Fero's. Call 206.262.0772."

Fero's Meat Market Now Open

Being run by a Turkish guy, this would be an unlikely source for odd pork cuts.

At one time Salumi would sell you raw pork cheeks, but you had to ask

I asked earlier this year and Armandino neither offered any of his nor provided a good suggestion for where to get pork cheeks. Hmm, on second though it was jowls I was asking for but I suspect the answer would be the same for cheeks. I'll try again next time I visit, though.

Eventually I ordered a 10# box from Niman Ranch. Don't remember the price but I'm sure it was expensive.

I asked earlier this year and Armandino neither offered any of his nor provided a good suggestion for where to get pork cheeks. Hmm, on second though it was jowls I was asking for but I suspect the answer would be the same for cheeks. I'll try again next time I visit, though.

I had to think about it but it was Nov. 02, when I bought some from Armandino.

He told me his supplier was a farm in or near Spanaway I think. But also he didn't always have extra's to sell.

When we were there for a sitdown lunch earlier this summer, Armandino served us braised pork cheeks. When we asked, he told us where to find them... but damned if I can remember what he said. I'm thinking that the ID was probably the target zone: Armandino likes to shop close to the store. He's never recommended anything to me further away than PFI or Delaurenti. :biggrin:

I've found many odd 'pig parts' at Uwajimaya, especially the Eastside location. yesterday they had skin-on pork bellies (I bought a couple of pounds for homemade bacon!) plus things I hadn't seen since I lived in L.A. (pork uterus, anyone?), all wrapped in stryofoam and cellophane and ready to carry out, just like they were 'normal' cuts like chops or stew meat. :biggrin:

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I've found many odd 'pig parts' at Uwajimaya, especially the Eastside location. yesterday they had skin-on pork bellies (I bought a couple of pounds for homemade bacon!) plus things I hadn't seen since I lived in L.A. (pork uterus, anyone?), all wrapped in stryofoam and cellophane and ready to carry out, just like they were 'normal' cuts like chops or stew meat.  :biggrin:

~A

They are 'normal' cuts, just not to you. Aren't cultural biases fun?

Many Asian grocery stores, even small ones, that sell meat will do their own butchering because the 'right' way to cut up the animal (beef and pork mostly) differs from American butchery. It's where I would buy jowls if I had trouble finding them. If you don't see them, be prepared to ask, with lots of smiles and gestures. You can find all kinds of good stuff at these shops, even if you are only prepared to use them in a more western based cuisine (all parts of the pig, tiny pencil thin eels, caul fat, beef shank, quails or duck legs around $1 each, etc).

regards,

trillium

They are 'normal' cuts, just not to you.  Aren't cultural biases fun?

I apologize if I inadvertantly offended anyone; I meant to highlight that my specific White Girl cultural biases were on display by using quotes around 'normal'; sorry if that was too subtle...

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know where to find black mustard seeds in the Seattle area? And a tougher one--I've been trying to find a source for soy granules--the kind that are in protein bars and add the crispiness. I'd like to experiment with making my own breakfast bars and this stuff would help.

Either in Seattle or online, if anyone knows a source for these things, thanks.

Does anyone know where to find black mustard seeds in the Seattle area?  And a tougher one--I've been trying to find a source for soy granules--the kind that are in protein bars and add the crispiness.  I'd like to experiment with making my own breakfast bars and this stuff would help.

Either in Seattle or online, if anyone knows a source for these things, thanks.

I used to by black mustard seeds at Whole Foods, although I haven't tried in a while. They were in the bulk section.

I'm thinking I may have seen soy granules at Trader Joe's. But I couldn't say for certain. It's a fair bet you'll find them at PCC, but of course I'm always looking for a reason to go to Central Market.

if you're looking for the soy protein isolate crisps that are found in, say, Balance bars, I've never seen them available in consumer quantities. The manufacturer that makes the most palatable ones I've found is Nuvex (their Soy Crisps aren't awful at the moderate protein levels) and you might have someone try to order them for you. Their Proti-Oats oat analouges aren't totally offensive either.

Eric

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. I've searched online and haven't found any retail outlets, which is why I think they'll be hard to come by. Thanks for the information.

Oh, and I looked up the markets and locations. Google is my friend. :-)

Another thing that SHOULD be easy to find in Seattle--Pilot bread. I've gotten it before at Safeway there. It's more of an Alaska thing, I guess. But it's been years since I've seen it. Any ideas?

Sorry about all the questions, but I have to make my one or two trips a year to the city count!

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.  I've searched online and haven't found any retail outlets, which is why I think they'll be hard to come by.  Thanks for the information.

Oh, and I looked up the markets and locations.  Google is my friend.  :-)

Another thing that SHOULD be easy to find in Seattle--Pilot bread.  I've gotten it before at Safeway there.  It's more of an Alaska thing, I guess.  But it's been years since I've seen it.  Any ideas?

Sorry about all the questions, but I have to make my one or two trips a year to the city count!

You can get Pilot bread at Uwajimaya. I'm sure I've seen it around other places as well.

• 1 month later...

Here in Portland you can find them in the freezer section of our local Asian grocery store. I would guess the same would be true in Seattle. They're usually not labelled well, and sometimes are just in a ziploc bag. I know them as "see hum", I think that's Cantonese (or is it Hokkien), you can always ask someone if you don't recognize them by site.

Have you had them before? The red blood shocked me the first time, I wasn't used to it in a bivalve.

regards,

trillium

What's the dish?

They're hard to describe... kind of like a really bad-ass, chewyish-in-a-good-way clam with red blood. But small...and can be sandy.

Super tasty fresh, I wasn't that impressed with the frozen ones, and leave them out of char kway teow now, since there is plenty of other stuff going on in it.

regards,

trillium