• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(SEA) Birthday Dinner At Lola

Tomorrow is my birthday and we've been dying to go to Lola so this is as good a reason as any.

Who's been there and what are the "don't miss this!" items?

THANKS

I agree, the goat tangine is a winner. The rabbit tangine is also a good choice, and I love the Lola sampler. You could get a sampler for the table to share. Happy Birthday!

Lola is drop dead my favorite restaurant! The goat tangine is to die for. The dates make it soooo sweet. I can almost taste it now.

Also, get the smashed potatoes. Best side dish ever. I could eat them all night. Last year in December they had a sweet acorn squash side that was wonderful.

Also any of the kebabs are marvelous. I especially love the mushroom one.

Eat hearty but leave me some. We have reservations for Saturday!

I actually worked at the restaurant the first two months it was open. My favorite was the goat, the fresh whole fish, and the skewers especially the lamb and the salmon. The mushroom one was good but it was too darn salty. Also anything with icecream as it is made fresh, I think one was with wine infused in it. Oh, and although salty the fried chick peas they have as bar snacks were killer. What else? Um, the greek salad is great and the goat cheese dessert donut thingys are fabu! Have a great dinner. Oh, check for specials. The seafood tangine is also good if they have it, they are incredibly generous with the meat. And ask for bread, they do not offer it but it is there to be sure, I had to go pick it up at dahlia bakery every day fresh.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

I actually worked at the restaurant the first two months it was open. My favorite was the goat, the fresh whole fish, and the skewers especially the lamb and the salmon. The mushroom one was good but it was too darn salty. Also anything with icecream as it is made fresh, I think one was with wine infused in it. Oh, and although salty the fried chick peas they have as bar snacks were killer. What else? Um, the greek salad is great and the goat cheese dessert donut thingys are fabu! Have a great dinner. Oh, check for specials. The seafood tangine is also good if they have it, they are incredibly generous with the meat. And ask for bread, they do not offer it but it is there to be sure, I had to go pick it up at dahlia bakery every day fresh.

***More good suggestions..THANKS Kate. I am having a VERY light breakfast (this was a last-minute idea and could only get a 5PM reservation) in anticipation of a feast tonight.

Isn't that what birthdays are all about?.... :raz:

Happy to report back that we had a great dinner !

Started with the Lola Sampler which included the Salty Chick Peas...yummy!

Garlic-Scented Skordalia: Our waitperson explained what Skordalia is (I admitted to being clueless) and the variations in preparations...It was also tasty

Octopus and Pork Belly: This was the only disappointment. The octopus was very tender but rather "flat". I've had Pork Belly prepared several ways and this presentation was more or less a few strips of "bacon" across the bowl.

Goat Tangine: Well everyone who told me to order this was right on the mark. The meat was so flavorful and the accompanying "sticks" of sliced apple and currents were a perfect balance. The sauce...wow, what a sauce. I wanted a vat to take home.

We did ask a few times for some "house bread" but that seemed to be a problem for reasons I can't figure out. We did get extra servings of grilled bread when I asked for bread to sop of the sauce...but grilled bread isn't really appropriate for this job. I would have preferred something soft and more likely to absorb.

This is a very small thing to even complain about given how much we enjoyed the entire meal.

For desserts we shared a Goat's Milk Pie with Huckleberrys and a bowl of Turkish Coffee Ice Cream with Cocoa Crisps. PERFECT desserts...

It was a great birthday dinner and, again, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on what to order.

Octopus and Pork Belly: This was the only disappointment. The octopus was very tender but rather "flat". I've had Pork Belly prepared several ways and this presentation was more or less a few strips of "bacon" across the bowl.

For desserts we shared a Goat's Milk Pie with Huckleberrys and a bowl of Turkish Coffee Ice Cream with Cocoa Crisps. PERFECT desserts...

Sorry about the octopus - as a breakfast with eggs and toast it was great - and the pork belly was completely different - looked like a couple of slabs of fried potato - only to bite in and realize they were toasty pork belly.

Love that pie.

Happy B.

Sorry about the octopus - as a breakfast with eggs and toast it was great - and the pork belly was completely different - looked like a couple of slabs of fried potato - only to bite in and realize they were toasty pork belly.

Love that pie.

Happy B.

***Apparently pork belly can be prepared many different ways with equally varied tastes/textures.

I had "Spinach-Stuffed Pork Belly" in an L.A. restaurant last week and it was the most tender pork you could imagine surrounded by the fat....sort of a spiral-effect. YUM YUM

Seems what I had at Lola was more the pork-fat than pork-meat. It was definitely a "bacon" rather than "meat" in my view.