• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Rye Whiskey (Part 1)

Joe Blowe

Anyone have any experience with this? I tried it last night...

attachicon.gifDickel Rye.JPG

Pretty good - if a little on the sweet side.

Magruder's in Chevy Chase is selling it for a song, I'm curious too.

Magruder's in Chevy Chase is selling it for a song, I'm curious too.

It's MGP distillate (f.k.a LDI, same stuff as Bulleit, Templeton, Willett), but it's run through charcoal prior to bottling. I haven't tasted it, but based on some circumstantial evidence (who I've seen mixing it, where I've seen it on drink lists), it seems like it's probably a decent product if the price is right.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Seems to be split between those who think it is little different from other LDI/MGP ryes and those that think the filtering changes it, generally for the better. Several local bartenders I have spoken with seem to prefer it for cocktails over the standard unfiltered LDI/MGP ryes.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...

In my never ending quest to buy stuff I've never heard of, has anyone tried this...

Pow-Wow_2.jpg

Pow-Wow Botanical Rye.

Straight Rye Whiskey Infused with Botanicals. 90 Proof. Georgetown Trading Co., LLC, Los Angeles, CA

I picked it up at Ace Beverage in DC at the recommend of Joe Riley - (note the Georgetown connection).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

After a very long day and only one pour of this stuff I'm not about to scroll through this thread to see what anyone has to say. We are in North Carolina and stopped at a pub in Highlands. The bartender recommended the Thomas Handy Sazerac 120 or 128 proof, can'ty remember. It was delicious and very strong. One drink neat was relatively inexpensive--at least according to the bartender-- compared to some of the other ryes they had: about $10 or $11. I never drink 120 proof anything, I don't think.

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from Rittenhouse BIB, what are people's other favourite rye bottlings these days? I'm going to be visiting the US soon, so I thought I'd pick up something different to try.

The Sazerac 18 and Handy ryes are both terrific.

The Saz 6 is pretty good too if you can't find these, but the 18 is worth splurging on.

I hear interesting things about the new Angel's Envy rye. It's an LDI rye with their standard mashbill (95% rye/5% malt) but it's aged in Caribbean rum casks, which according to multiple reviews give it a uniquely rich and dessert-y flavor. Might be worth a try if you're looking for something different.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

By the way, MGP (formerly LDI) has added two new rye mash bills to its slate, along with some other very interesting sounding whiskeys:

The additions include the following products: two new rye whiskeys, one made from 51% rye and 49% barley malt, and the other made with 51% rye, 45% corn and 4% barley malt; a 95% wheat whiskey; a 100% barley malt whiskey; and two bourbons, one produced with 45% wheat, and the other produced with 49% barley malt.

The 51/45/4 mash bill is MGP's take on a standard Kentucky rye, along the lines of Rittenhouse, Sazerac, Beam, and others; the 49% barley rye is as far as I know unique and very exciting. All of these went into production in April. It'll be years before we can try even the youngest expressions of these whiskeys, but they should greatly diversify the market. It seems that 9 out of every 10 new ryes is an MGP product, so the addition of new mash bills should allow bottlers more choice in what they sell, especially if they get creative with blending different mashes and aging.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

By the way, MGP (formerly LDI) has added two new rye mash bills to its slate, along with some other very interesting sounding whiskeys:.[snipetty snip].. It'll be years before we can try even the youngest expressions of these whiskeys...[snip]

You should keep this kind of info to yourself! Picture eGulleteers descending on stocks like piranhas devouring an ill-fated adventuring botanist :biggrin:

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Apart from Rittenhouse BIB, what are people's other favourite rye bottlings these days? I'm going to be visiting the US soon, so I thought I'd pick up something different to try.

>The Sazerac 18 and Handy ryes are both terrific.

The Saz 6 is pretty good too if you can't find these, but the 18 is worth splurging on.

I hear interesting things about the new Angel's Envy rye. It's an LDI rye with their standard mashbill (95% rye/5% malt) but it's aged in Caribbean rum casks, which according to multiple reviews give it a uniquely rich and dessert-y flavor. Might be worth a try if you're looking for something different.

I have been fortunate enough to try the new AE rum cask rye and think it well worth the somewhat high price. But it costs the same as Whitstlepig or Mastersons and is definitely not a traditional rye. And it was a fairly limited initial release that is available only in some states so it may be tricky to find. I managed to track down two bottles with the help of a friend but it is not even available in my state yet.

Another to consider is Jefferson 10yo rye which is similar to Whistlepig (not quite as good but substantially cheaper in price!). Another you may see floating around is the Col E.H. Taylor rye. Also a bit overpriced but pretty interesting and seems to be more commonly available.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

>The Sazerac 18 and Handy ryes are both ter

rific.

I have been fortunate enough to try the new AE rum cask rye and think it well worth the somewhat high price. But it costs the same as Whitstlepig or Mastersons and is definitely not a traditional rye. And it was a fairly limited initial release that is available only in some states so it may be tricky to find. I managed to track down two bottles with the help of a friend but it is not even available in my state yet.

Another to consider is Jefferson 10yo rye which is similar to Whistlepig (not quite as good but substantially cheaper in price!). Another you may see floating around is the Col E.H. Taylor rye. Also a bit overpriced but pretty interesting and seems to be more commonly available.

Another option that just occured to me is the Dickel Rye. It is another MGPI rye that has been subjected to a Tennessee whiskey style filtering through a maple charcoal filter before bottling. I, and many people I talk to, think it adds an interesting dimension to the standard MGP rye such as what you find in Bulleit rye. And generally quite affordable at around $20 depending on your location.

~tanstaafl2

By the way, MGP (formerly LDI) has added two new rye mash bills to its slate, along with some other very interesting sounding whiskeys:.[snipetty snip].. It'll be years before we can try even the youngest expressions of these whiskeys...[snip]

You should keep this kind of info to yourself! Picture eGulleteers descending on stocks like piranhas devouring an ill-fated adventuring botanist :biggrin:

Hard to keep it much of a secret! MGPI publishes their various mashbills, unlike most distilleries, since they don't produce anything under their own label at present, instead selling all they make to other bottlers and non distiller producers. And it has already been the subject of considerable discussion on more whiskey-centric boards and blogs.

But as noted it will be at least several years before any of it is likely to be worth trying.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

~tanstaafl2

Rittenhouse BIB would be my first choice of the non-spendy stuff, with Dickel being a close second. Most of the rest of the low- to mid-price ryes seem really "one note" to me, including Bulliet, Redemption, etc. The standard LDI 95% rye just doesn't move me unless you do something special to it - the Dickel being a complete surprise, because it's from the same stock, and yet somehow.....

I used to love WT, until they lowered the proof (I'm still pissed about that). Sazerac 6 would be third, I guess.

As an upgrade, the Old Scout 6 yr Rye was quite good at ~$40 a bottle, and the EH Taylor BIB Rye was the next best thing to the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection at around ~$70. At this point the Antique collection was virtually ungettable, and what little there was ended up being priced around $130. Boo.

That said, not as good as the Old Scout, but something I've always particularly enjoyed was WT's Russel's Reserve Rye. It used to be in the $25-30 range, but is now in $40 range. At $40, I'd buy the Scout, but I still enjoy the WTRRR when I end up buying a bottle.

The Willet stuff was great since it was high proof, but it has also jumped by about $10 from the $25-30 range to the $40 range. Also, the various batches and ages it been released at have varied quite a bit.

Rye is till not common, or cheap in England. With its rise in popularity and demand, prices have gone up.

Rittenhouse BIB is still my go to rye for mixing as it is still well priced for its proof. Otherwise, echoing what others have said, I like Sazerac 6 and Wild Turkey 101, although that's impossible to find now.

Recently I had a very well priced Manhattan with Pappy 13 Rye that was exceptional and I have also come to really like the High West Double Rye.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Wild Turkey 101, although that's impossible to find now.

Do you mean from trade suppliers? I don't have any trouble finding it. I bought some in Majestic the other day, and they're hardly known for spirits. It's easily available online too.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Sold out on both the Whisky Exchange and Master of Malt.

I can't get it through Speciality, the Former's trade distributor.

Thanks for the Majestic tip, but I don't plan on buying six bottles of anything, unless they don't do that any more.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Sold out on both the Whisky Exchange and Master of Malt.

I can't get it through Speciality, the Former's trade distributor.

Thanks for the Majestic tip, but I don't plan on buying six bottles of anything, unless they don't do that any more.

You don't have to get six bottles of one thing, just six total. Anyway, if I spot some going begging I'll pick you some up.

I've liked the new Knob Creek rye for Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. But not at the NYC prices ($45 for 750 ml). When I visit down in Houston, I pick up a few bottles at $30 and take them back in my checked baggage.

Price differences are always interesting. Can't see any reason Knob Creek should cost 50% more in NYC than Houston. I also get Booker's down there for a similar discount against the NYC prices. But the strange thing is that the price differences sometimes work the other way.

--

• 5 months later...

Wild Turkey 101 Rye is coming back.

The catches: it will only be available in liter bottles, and only in limited markets (read: high profile/volume bars and maybe select retailers in major metropolises). It will also probably be more expensive.

Still! Loves of WT rye can rejoice, and those of us who never got a chance to experience it the first time around can see what all the fuss is about.

The regular, often-dismissed 81 proofer will remain available everywhere.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com