• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

magic cake strips

phlawless

do these things really work?

My problem is not only do my layers dome at the top, but they also don't come to the top of the pan. Will they correct this?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Yes they do. Be sure you get them soaked well. Lightly dampened doesn't get it. They soak up better in hot water. Like even get a bowl full & immerse them to saturate--squeeze out the excess though. And wet towel also works. I take brand new terry cloth towels and cut them & fold over to wrap two layers thick around the pan secured with t-pins. Works great also increases baking time a bit and increases moistness in the cake.

Plus I use a piece of aluminum foil, like index card size & folded like 3/4inch by five inches & tear one end to make 'feet', each foot folded a different direction so you could actually stand the little thing on the counter y'know? And then stick it into the middle of the cake batter as a conductor of heat so the middle has a chance to heat up as fast as the edges and that also helps it bake less domed. And it's a breeze to remove--just slide a knife down each leg & wiggle out the fold. Very little damage to the cake--I spray it with pam too and remove it as soon as I take it out of the oven and the hot steamy cake just comes back together.

In fact, both of these ideas are pictured here, just scroll down to post 18. Like halfway down page one.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Because I am cheap, I bought a yard of cotton non-woven fabric at JoAnn Fabrics for about $2.50, cut it into strips, and used it the same way as K8memphis described ... wet the strip thoroughly, squeeze dry, wrap around pan, fasten with paper clip, stapler, or pin. The fabric tends to stretch when wet, but you just pull it as tight as needed. After about 15 minutes in the oven, the fabric slips off the pan, but by then it's done its job. Works like a charm.

Ilene

FYI, Magi-Cake Baking Strips now come in a version with Velcro fasteners instead of the usual pins -- I'm going to invest in some of those as I seem intent on sticking myself everytime I use them.

:hmmm:

They really do work wonderfully.

The standard size is for 8 & 9-inch cake pans but they also come in larger sizes, and also you can buy by the foot as well.

Edited by Steven Blaski (log)

Plus I use a piece of aluminum foil, like index card size & folded like 3/4inch by five inches & tear one end to make 'feet', each foot folded a different direction so you could actually stand the little thing on the counter y'know? And then stick it into the middle of the cake batter as a conductor of heat so the middle has a chance to heat up as fast as the edges and that also helps it bake less domed. And it's a breeze to remove--just slide a knife down each leg & wiggle out the fold. Very little damage to the cake--I spray it with pam too and remove it as soon as I take it out of the oven and the hot steamy cake just comes back together.

Great tip! Thanks!

Another "trick" is to take the bottom of a round ladle, spray it with one of the non-flavored sprays and use it to swirl the batter from the center out so that the level of batter in the center of the pan is about 1/2 inch lower than the outer edges, just prior to placing the pan in the oven. Most batter is just thick enough to hold this configuration long enough for the heat to set it.

I learned this from a baker who simply dipped the ladle in water but spraying the bottom of the ladle with oil is easier for me since I am not as quick as he was.

It may take a little practice to get the technique down right, but once you get the batter in that very shallow cone shape, you will find it easier to do.

I do the same for cakes in loaf pans that I want to be level on top. I use a smaller ladle and simple drag it down the center of the batter so there is a sort of trough in the center.

It will gradually fill in from the sides if it sits too long, so you have to do this just before you put it into the oven and place the pans gently so you disturb the batter as little as possible.

It works with cupcakes too!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Another "trick" is to take the bottom of a round ladle, spray it with one of the non-flavored sprays and use it to swirl the batter from the center out so that the level of batter in the center of the pan is about 1/2 inch lower than the outer edges, just prior to placing the pan in the oven.  Most batter is just thick enough  to hold this configuration long enough for the heat to set it. 

This is what I do too! It's one of my baking secrets that I came up with. Damn, I thought I was SO SMART...haha! :rolleyes::wink:

Thanks everyone for the tea towel trick. I'm going to have to try it out.

phlawless,

I used to use them all the time, but I found if I just lowered my oven temp, that I didn't have such a problem with the dome. Also, you mentioned that the cakes don't come to the tops of the pans, so I have to ask, are you getting enough batter in them? I fill my cake pans 3/4 full, so they always come to the top and don't run over.

HTH