• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

failed buttercream

amccomb

I finally had my first successful batch of IMB!  I changed two things.  I poured the sugar syrup into a Pyrex cup to stop the cooking and I made sure the butter was still pretty cold.  I used RLB's Mousseline Buttercream with the cream of tarter.  I don't know how much that contributed to the success.  BTW what is the difference between IMBC and Mousseline?  Is it the cream of tarter?  Thanks for everyones help!

Yay Fred!! I'm sorry I didn't/haven't gotten around to doing a demo -- I got sick a few weeks ago and got behind on everything.

Once you get really familiar with how the temperatures and textures interact, you'll gain in confidence and be less ruled by the particulars of a recipe and more trusting of what "looks right".

I finally had my first successful batch of IMB!   I changed two things.  I poured the sugar syrup into a Pyrex cup to stop the cooking and I made sure the butter was still pretty cold.  I used RLB's Mousseline Buttercream with the cream of tarter.  I don't know how much that contributed to the success.  BTW what is the difference between IMBC and Mousseline?  Is it the cream of tarter?  Thanks for everyones help!

Yay Fred!! I'm sorry I didn't/haven't gotten around to doing a demo -- I got sick a few weeks ago and got behind on everything.

Once you get really familiar with how the temperatures and textures interact, you'll gain in confidence and be less ruled by the particulars of a recipe and more trusting of what "looks right".

No worries! With all the great advice posted here, I was able to make a successful batch. I feel like I've concurred Mt. Everest! Yippee!

I am SO grateful for the professional advice here because I've been having trouble with buttercreams as well.

When I was taught Italian buttercream in a pastry course, we learned to tell if the syrup was ready when it reached soft ball stage and we didn't use a thermometer -- just a cup of ice. Although my buttercream was perfect in class, I have never been able to duplicate it. I always thought the problem was most likely in the temperature of my syrup because achieving the perfect soft ball stage of the syrup AND getting it into the meringue is tricky. I either undershot it and the syrup had not reached the correct temp or I overshot it and the syrup had gone past the correct stage. Either way, I ended up with meringue soup.

Then I took a cake decorating/finishing course in which we made and used Swiss meringue. When I asked the instructor why we used Swiss meringue rather than Italian or French, he told me that Swiss meringue is easier to make and the focus of the class was on the decorating and finishing and he didn't want it to turn into a class on buttercream. This made sense, and I have been successful with Swiss BC, but I find it does not have the firmness or the stamina of Italian or French.

So, here I go again. This time armed with a thermometer and the indispensable

advice here. I'm very excited. I'm thinking Halloween cupcakes for my office!

THANK YOU!!!!!

This is a fab thread! I have bookmarked it for future reference! The combined knowledge, wisdom and experience on eGullet is worth more than all of the cooking/baking books out there...

Real time experience and feedback. I love this site!!!

Cheers!

Paula Jonvik

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

This is a fab thread! I have bookmarked it for future reference! The combined knowledge, wisdom and experience on eGullet is worth more than all of the cooking/baking books out there...

Real time experience and feedback. I love this site!!!

Cheers!

Paula Jonvik

I second that!