• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Faster than you can say -

Tepee

I mix my Cantonese and Toisanese in the same sentence if I speak staight Cantonese.  If I speak straight Toisanese, I'm pretty good.  I'll have to really focus when I go to the herbal shop!

Gastro Girl I realize that sometimes we Toysanese can't really transliterate the sounds of our speech. The wolfberry plant in Toysanese is gow ghee (hard "G"), the berries are gow doo. Gow=dog, same tone. Doo same tone as "left", gee is same tone as "Gee do goi?" How many?

Don't listen to Ben Sook. He speaks Toisanese with an accent! :raz::laugh:

Gow (same as dog) is Cantonese, ghee is Toisanese with an accent. :wacko:

In true Toisanese: it's gi (hard G, long I) gai dee!

The pronunciation really depends on the district your village is located in.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Zhi is more like it. Say it like you say 'paper' in cantonese. Same tone. Gou qi zi in pinyin. 枸杞子

Thanks for the characters! I keep looking for wolfberries in the Chinese supermarket, and now I have something to follow.

Gustatorily, I am a leg man, but in certain other interests, I am a teat man. :raz:  :raz:

OMG ROFL :biggrin:

I hope you read all the posts that led up to Ben's comment. :laugh:

Whoa!! I do sound like a dirty old man, don't I?? The Devil made me do it!! What thread was that from?

Gustatorily, I am a leg man, but in certain other interests, I am a teat man. :raz:  :raz:

OMG ROFL :biggrin:

I hope you read all the posts that led up to Ben's comment. :laugh:

Whoa!! I do sound like a dirty old man, don't I?? The Devil made me do it!! What thread was that from?

Check back up on page one of this thread, Ben! :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com