• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Faster than you can say -

Tepee

The dish looks really great! How has the pork belly been prepared? Is it some kind of barbecue pork?

The roast pork used by TP was stored-bought. She used it to make her dish.

It is pretty difficult to make roast pork at home. Unless you have a fork big enough to hold the whole pig and a BBQ big enough for roasting. And it takes about 3 hours of constant rotating the pig on the fork. (If you need to make your own roast pork, it won't be faster than you can say "siu yoke"... :wink: )

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

what sorts of dishes are those cured pork bellies used for?  anyone have any recipes?  i always think of buying a piece, but i'm not sure what i'd do with them (not that that's ever stopped me before).

You can steam them or lay on top of rice during cooking. Eat them as is. Or cut them up, use them to stir-fry vegetables.

Like they said: you need some healthy jaws to handle these rubber meat!

I am not too crazy about lap yoke or lap cheung since I was a kid. For one thing, I don't like eating fats. Neither fresh ones or cured ones. With lap yoke, I can only find tiny piece of lean meat on each piece. With lap cheung, I always needed to spew out the fatty cubes. The only thing that I like is lap ngap (duck). Again, separate the skin and fat, I chew on the lean meat. That tastes great! But... that's just me... :smile:

The one pork fat that I do like is mui choy kou yoke (sorry muichoi)... The pork belly is simmered in the sauce for hours and the fat doesn't taste like fat at all! But even so... I can only have it every now and then...

QUOTE(hzrt8w @

[/quote)

Shouldn't that be an even number?  Pigs have 2 rows of nipples, right?  "lok fah naum"?

pigs are split down the middle along the backbone and then through the sternum, and belly longitudinally. You get half the nipples on each side. Counting from the rear, five would get you just into the ribs.

Yeah, I brought home about three pounds of lap yuk too. The fattier the better, not as tough and stringy as the lean meat. The fat of lap yoke has that mouth feel that we call "tui how".

pigs are split down the middle along the backbone and then through the sternum, and belly longitudinally. You get half the nipples on each side. Counting from the rear, five would get you just into the ribs.

I've wanted to know but I'm almost afraid to ask... just how many nipples does a pig have?

Based on my mammary..er...ahh...hmm..memory of biology taken 40 years ago, pigs can have a productive mammary outlets (nipples, or teats) numbering anywhere from 8 to 18 and are not always in even numbers. The most prevalent number is 12, but as anyone with any experience in farm animals can tell you, there are very often broods of 16-20 piglets.

Gustatorily, I am a leg man, but in certain other interests, I am a teat man. :raz::raz:

The roast pork used by TP was stored-bought.  She used it to make her dish.

It is pretty difficult to make roast pork at home.  Unless you have a fork big enough to hold the whole pig and a BBQ big enough for roasting.  And it takes about 3 hours of constant rotating the pig on the fork.  (If you need to make your own roast pork, it won't be faster than you can say "siu yoke"...  :wink: )

I'm afraid that I won't be able to get any store-bought roast pork were I live. Wouldn't the recipe that TP linked to and some pork belly too provide an adequate home cooked substitute?

Christofer Kanljung

I haven't made it personally before....hmm...my mother might have. I think she has done a small piece in a turbo broiler before...will check with her tomorrow. It's a bit late now.

Well, Ben-sook...what do you think of this recipe? Ya think it'll work? Don't you start them on another 5-blossom whatever... :laugh: !!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

In a thread on roast crispy pork about 5 months ago, I posted my own recipe that was used successfully by a couple of people. Any real good computer nerds here to find it?

I have cured my own lap yuk a few times. The best were almost equal to the store bought stuff, the worst (at first) was tossed. Basically the process is nothing more than : slice the rind-on pork belly into 1 inch thick slices, salt, and let stand for a while, then add sugar, a shot of whisky or other alcohol, and dark soy sauce. If there are flies present, sprinkle with black pepper. After marinating overnight, string each piece and hang in a cool airy place for about a week, until stiffly dry, but not completely dessicated. The lean meat will have a semi hard feel.

A variation that I like is to add 5-spice powder to the marinade, just enough that you can barely smell it.

Sorry I can't give measurements, as I really don't write down anything when doing things like this. Trust your taste buds ,your nose and eyes to emulate your favourite lap yoke.

In a thread on roast crispy pork about 5 months ago, I posted my own recipe that was used successfully by a couple of people. Any real good computer nerds here to find it?

Did somebody call me? Yes Sir!

Here is the post discussing about making siu yuk (roast pork) and suckling pigs:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=49705

Not quite 5 months old, just about 2 months. Ben Sir!

Here is the post discussing about pork belly:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=20297

I've got a pretty good method for easy siu yok-it's really reduced to its most basic components but if you have really first class pork belly it's extremely good. Simply take a piece of whatever size you like, remove the whole rib layer for another use, then cut from the underside almost all the way to the skin at 1 1/2 inch intervals. Mix salt , a tiny bit of msg and freshly ground five-spice (always grind freshly ,it's spoilt after 3 days) and apply all over the flesh side and into the cuts.You need plenty of salt and not much spice. Hang for a few hours, then put the pork skinside up under the grill. When the skin starts to change colour a bit, remove it and make a million holes with a big fork. Put it back until the whole skin crackles-if some of it burns, just scrape off the burnt bits. Then roast in the oven for another 30-40 minutes. Very nice. Hang again after cooking.

... remove it and make a million holes with a big fork...

Checked with mom and she said she roasted it in the oven. Instead of a fork, she used something which looked like a torture instrument...a thingy with lots of spikes embedded in it....a mini bed of nails.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 1 month later...

Tepee: Thanks for your recipe. I had made it last night. I did it only slightly differently: I dashed in 1.5 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine when sauteeing the garlic, and I mixed in a little bit of chicken broth to dilute the thick soy sauce a bit. The taste was wonderful!

gallery_19795_163_10896.jpg

• 1 year later...
Really??? 

You bet! I've told this tale before but I'll tell it again. My 9 yo niece's classmate was wearing thick glasses, and her mom started to let her snack on gei chee everyday. In just 3 months, she didn't have to wear them anymore.

Er...just don't go overboard....it also has a 'loosening' effect.

My dear Hz...admit it...it's time to get them bifocals. :laugh:

In the specialty foods market now they're selling wolfberries as some superfood or whatnot. They just snack on them as is by the handful. Can you really do that?

Oh, I have bad vision, too. I wonder if I should start snacking on them. They're called "gei chee" in Cantonese? Is the first work like the "gee" in "gee mah" (sesame)?

In the specialty foods market now they're selling wolfberries as some superfood or whatnot.  They just snack on them as is by the handful.  Can you really do that? 

Oh, I have bad vision, too.  I wonder if I should start snacking on them.  They're called "gei chee" in Cantonese?  Is the first work like the "gee" in "gee mah" (sesame)?

My eldest is doing just that. A handful is fine. Don't overdo it; unless you need it for its regulating properties.

First word is not like the gee in gee mah. It's more gay.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

No, no, no...gay zhi as in remember, separated, sounds like 'send' and 'word'. Ya think we'll be zapped for going linguistics? Very different. This sounds more questioning. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Laser eye surgery? Eek. I read a local blog started by a laser surgery victim. If the risk is there, I wouldn't go for it.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Gastro Girl I realize that sometimes we Toysanese can't really transliterate the sounds of our speech. The wolfberry plant in Toysanese is gow ghee (hard "G"), the berries are gow doo. Gow=dog, same tone. Doo same tone as "left", gee is same tone as "Gee do goi?" How many?

Your Mom would understand perfectly. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ben Hong (log)