• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin Cake

Sugarella

I looked in the recipes and way back on this forum and didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been brought up before.

I need to make a pumpkin cake, which of course I've never made before, and I'm looking for a good one if anybody's got one. I've found several online from other sites and based on experience I know that just because 800 people gave it 5 stars doesn't mean it's any good. :rolleyes: hehhehe So it looks like I'll be doing a bit of experimenting here, unless anybody's got a fabulous recipe already. I was thinking of adding either a layer of marzipan inside, or possibly just covering the outside with marzipan. (This is to be decorated like an actual pumpkin.) Thanksgiving's only a week and a half away so I don't have tooooo much time for experimenting, and making it look like a pumpkin will probably take me a whole lot longer than making it taste like a pumpkin. :huh: But I don't mind getting creative with the ingredients though. If I didn't go the marzipan route I was thinking of maybe replacing some of the flour with walnut flour. Then again, maybe just keep it simple and use both almond flour and marzipan? I don't want toooo many flavours going on here.

I've also never had pumpkin cake, which I guess is the biggest hurdle in figuring out whether I've actually made a good one.. I've had storebought pumpkin pie, and I've tasted both plain pureed pumpkin and canned pumpkin pie filling. That's about it for my experience with pumpkin. Never even eaten the stuff steamed or baked or anything. But I'm thinking canned stuff always tastes canned and maybe I should shred real pumpkin for this cake, same as I do for carrot or apple, or would it make much of a difference using canned pumpkin in a cake? What do you think? And what, if anyone can describe it, should it really taste like?

I also need suggestions for my IMBC for this cake (White Russian? Saffron Orange?) and something for a filling also. I like the idea of something with mascarpone but I'm worried that might be overkill.

Any & all thoughts appreciated. :smile:

Edited by Sugarella (log)

As far as fresh or canned pumpkin..seeing as how you said you don't have alot of time just go with the canned. It's just as good. Libby's is a good brand.

I just posted an idea for a pumpkin cake & filling in the fig cake thread ..but is this cake going to be sitting out at room temp for awhile as part of the ambience? If so I wouldn't use a mascarpone filling.

For the actual pumpkin shape you could do the bundt cake thing but then you'ld have mostly cake & no filling. What I would do is this..

Make a pumpkin chiffon cake in sheet pans. Get 2 small stainless steel bowls, line them with plastic wrap & make a sort of bomb shaped cake. LIne the bowl with your chiffon, maybe an armagnac syrup to brush on the cake, if serving right away then use a mascarpone filling..maple or honey flavored. Put a layer of filling,cake,syrup,fig jam,filing..repeat.

Make a batch of Brandy buttercream..color it with orange coloring..sandwich the 2 cakes together with the buttercream. chill a few hours. crumbcoat your cake. chill.

Put on a thick layer of buttercream..smooth it out..chill it. Once it's completley chilled you can carve your ridges to get that pumpkin shape.

Marzipan for the leaves & stem.

For extra stability you can always use cake rods to hold the layers together ..just use some marzipan leaves to cover them & remove when ready to serve.

Again I have no idea how big you want this cake to be so keep in mind that bomb type cakes are really heavy. If you don't want to use mascarpone I guess you could use a cream cheese filling..that would be one really heavy cake though.

Anyone care to improve on this idea or any other suggestions on how to make it better?

ok..so I just realized you said you don't too many flavors going on so you could always omit the figs & just have cake & a brandy mascarpone filling with a brandy buttercream.

Edited by sugarbuzz (log)

I guess you could use a cream cheese filling..that would be one really heavy cake though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do cakes all the time and I've had 2 tier wedding cakes I can't even lift by myself. I say, the more stuff in there, the better! Weight is no issue. By too many flavours going on I meant my original idea of using marzipan plus walnut flour. I think that'd be too much.

I should have mentioned that I do cakes often (trying to carve a living out of it here) so I don't need too much help with the decorating aspect. I think I can carve a large square of cake just fine. It'll need to serve 8-10 which means knowing me it'll probably end up serving 30. Haha!

Although I wouldn't usually use mascarpone in a wedding cake, this one is for family so it'll just be on display a bit before dinner, but refridgerated most of the time. Plus there are ways to stretch the room temp shelf life of dairy so I'm not too worried. I was thinking covering it in marzipan only because my family hates fondant, and I personally don't do too well decorating a carved cake with buttercream. I could make a marzipan from walnuts I suppose if that'd be more appropriate, flavour-wise.

Seeing as how Fall is here how about a pumpkin cake with a thin layer of fig jam & another layer of some flavored mascarpone..maybe orange or Armanagac(possibly reduce some armagnac with some simple syrup to get it nice & thick & add to mascarpone)..and for a frosting..a nice light buttercream..a good quality honey or maple.

Now this combo I am liking!!! I don't have too much experience wth figs though.....it's not possible to make a curd with them is it? Jam I know I don't have time to make so could I just do a cooked fig reduction or do you think it'd be better to just puree them fresh and thicken for a filling?

I have a couple opposing ideas to throw into the pot. Just brainstorming.

One is if you do go the bundt cake route, you could torte it to add the fillings and have room for a candle inside too--course you could carve out a spot for a candle in any other cake too.

My other idea comes from BKeith where you bake & stack like for a big pumpkin, maybe like from the bottom up a 13, 14, 14 12 or a smaller one like maybe a 7, 8, 8, 7. Y'know, maybe some one-layer some two-layer to get the right sizes. Off set them too for a more real look. Whatever dimensions but that way you have minimal carving and you can hang onto more of the crusty carmelized sides of the cake, fill in with icing and have a bit more strength. Just some pumpkin thoughts for yah.

Hmm, what about petal pans?? There's only eight petals per pan I think but you could fake it. In fact, I think I would fill in each indent to make the extra pumpkin stripeys yknow?

Ok ok I'll be quiet :biggrin:

edited to say: Oh oops I was rambling on while you posted that you didn't need deco help--oops oh well, sorry! :)

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I've used figs for a cake filling before by using either dried mission figs & then cooking them in some Armagnac or Port with some simple syrup..reducing the syrup & pureeing the figs with the syrup.

Or just puree the figs with some Port & then thickening it with some cornstarch or tapioca.

Or..instead of figs you could use dates..not as much moisture as the figs and just as good.

Edited by sugarbuzz (log)

I've used figs for a cake filling before by using either dried mission figs & then cooking them in some Armagnac or Port with some simple syrup..reducing the syrup & pureeing the figs with the syrup.

Or just puree the figs with some Port & then thickening it with some cornstarch or tapioca. Or..instead of figs you could use dates..not as much moisture as the figs and just as good.

Thanks for the suggestions.... I think I'll try the fig/Armagnac combo. Big help you've been. :smile:

edited to say: Oh oops I was rambling on while you posted that you didn't need deco help--oops oh well, sorry! :)

No problem.... I appreciate the input.

Now.....for the cake batter!? :biggrin:

Here's a pumpkin chiffon cake I found in my notes. I've never tried it so maybe do a test batch.

2-1/4 cups Sifted cake flour

1-1/2 cups Granulated sugar

2 tsp Baking powder

1/2 tsp Each salt and cinnamon

1/4 tsp Each nutmeg and allspice

1/2 cup Vegetable oil

5 Egg yolks

3/4 cup Canned pumpkin

1 tbsp Grated orange rind

1/3 cup Orange juice

7 Egg whites

1/2 tsp Cream of tartar

In bowl, combine flour, 3/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder, salt,

cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; make well in center. Pour in oil, egg

yolks, pumpkin, orange rind and juice; beat well. In separate bowl, beat

egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form; gradually beat in

remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into

ungreased 10-inch tube pan.

Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until top springs back

when touched. Invert pan and let cake hang in pan until cool.

Kraft Foods just had a recipe for a pumpkin cake on its website. It's basically cake mix baked in a Bundt pan and frosted to look like a pumpkin. The "stem" is an upturned flat-bottomed ice cream cone. Click for picture.

I don't have a from-scratch pumpkin cake recipe, but do have one that's tried-and-true for a dense pumpkin quick bread. Let me know if you're interested.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Williams-Sonoma currently has a two- part cake pan on their website, that makes a pumpkin-shaped cake. I'm not posting a link, because once the season is over, it likely won't work anymore. But if you go to their main page, www. williamssonoma.com, as of today you can see it there; if not, try searching for "pumpkin cake."

Regarding using fresh vs. canned pumpkin:

Definitely go with the canned. It's easier and not really all that different from fresh. In fact, if you use fresh pumpkin, make sure you drain the mash overnight.....otherwise you end up with watery pumpkin stuff. The flavor isn't as concentrated and you end up with less pumpkin taste.

for frosting, I'd go with a molases cream cheese frosting that I saw @ epicurious today... just do a google on 'pumpkin cake' it will be one of the 1st ones you see..

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Doesnt' get any easier or better than this:

Pumpkin Cake

• 2 C all purpose flour

• 2 tsp baking soda

• 2 tsp cinnamon

• 1/2 tsp clove

• 1/2 tsp nutmeg

• 1/4 tsp salt

• 4 eggs or 3/4 C egg substitute

• 2 C sugar

• 3/4 C canola, safflower, or rapeseed oil

• 2 tsp vanilla

• 2 C packed pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil and flour a bundt pan or spray with floured veg oil spray (like "Baker's Joy").

Mix together dry ingredients. Beat eggs, sugar, and oil at medium speed until thick and pale yellow. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla. Pour into prepared bundt pan and level. Bake 35-40 minutes until it passes the toothpick test. Invert immediately onto rack and let cool.

Drizzle with maple or lemon or vanilla glaze.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

• 2 years later...

I made pumpkin puree this fall (found some nice sugar pumpkins and cheese pumpkins at a farmer's stand) and really overachieved ... there's a gallon of the stuff in my freezer. I've been making pumpkin pancakes, but each batch uses half a cup A cake sounds like a fine idea.

I've found a handful of recipes, and they all use vegetable or seed oils. Is there any reason not to use butter? Butter plus Pumpkin sounds like a more delicious combination to me.

Notes from the underbelly

would like to use it for cupcakes actually.

Anyone?

Tried and True.

Not wanting a bread, but more of a moist cake consistency.

The one I have is made with oil. I think mine is good, BUT, is there a better one.

I really like the one in the Cake Bible - moist, firm but not too dense; I like it better without the nuts, personal preference. It calls for safflower and walnut oil; but I've used all veg oil. It's more flavorful with the the safflower/walnut oils but fine with the veg oil.

And, the banana cake from there is pretty good too. Even better with a ganache topping :biggrin: