• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking shows not on Food Network

ghost

I've been watching the lineup of cooking shows that Discovery Home channel has been airing. Chef at Home & Cooking in Brooklyn seem like a breath of fresh air when compared to tired format of many shows in Food Network's "In the Kitchen" lineup. Sure Good Eats, and dare I say it, Emeril Live, are unique, but they aren't part of the "In the Kitchen" block. The shows in that block are so cookie cutter in their format it's rediculous. I'd take Great Chefs, Yan Can Cook, or America's Test Kitchen over Rachel Ray any day. What shows not on Food Network do you think deserve more attention?

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

For a while BBC America was showing "Friends for Dinner" which was quite amusing. I also chuckle at "Rosemary, Queen of the Kitchen" on Discovery-Home.

Wouldn't mind seeing 2 Fat Ladies re-runs

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

"Colameco's Food Show" which is now in its fifth season on PBS. If there is any show on TV that captures the essence of an eGulleteer, it would be that one.

http://www.colameco.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"Colameco's Food Show" which is now in its fifth season on PBS. If there is any show on TV that captures the essence of an eGulleteer, it would be that one.

But it is only airing in Pa. and NJ I found out ... :sad: Would have enjoyed watching it myself ...

This food show, airing on public television in NJ and PA, needed a visual identity and web site.
website

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

colameco's food show is one of the best shows out there. it strikes a great balance--a combination of interviews with chefs, information about restaurants, and recipes. it's NY-centric, but hey, if you're gonna be based somewhere, it may as well be new york.

anyway, it's great. everyone watch it.

I like the guy on RFD who cooks in Black Iron. That's a great show. Right up there with Mrs. Lucy (who I am trying to find out about, her area got jacked pretty bad last week). I hope that she and her grandaughter are OK. That was some classic TV.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh yes, Ms Lucy's Classic Cajun Culture and Cooking on RFD-TV. Another one of my favorite shows.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Food Network Canada has/recently had some interesting cooking shows, none of which are shown on Food Net in the US, AFAIK. A few that I've seen:

Licence to Grill: A quantum jump beyond BBQ-U (on PBS in the States). Each show features a variety of grilled dishes with much more interesting ingredients and techniques than BBQ-U. BBQ-U would have you believe that beer-can chicken is a major revelation; License to Grill focuses on much more interesting marinades from scratch (jerk sauce, Asian-inspired sauces) and more grilled veg dishes than generally seen elsewhere. BBQ-America (also on PBS) was better than BBQ-U; License to Grill is better than both.

Cook Like a Chef: Each show features a Canadian chef demonstrating a variety of dishes made from a particular ingredient or technique - potatoes, or beef, or greens (or deep-frying as a technique for several dishes).

Chef at Home: I'm somewhat ambivalent on this one. This show beats you over the head with the idea of cooking without a recipe - take some ingredients, seasonings, and wing it. An excellent idea, but probably too much for a beginner, yet not very interesting if you can already wing it. The (male) host probably has considerable eye-candy appeal, but I'm not really qualified to judge that.

I said this before and I'd say it again. I believe good cooking and food related programming exists in many venues. A channel that brings cooking shows (and dubbs them when necessary, ala iron chef) from other countries would be great.

BTW, did any one catch the new cooking show on PBS. The on air personality's name is Tina Norstrom and it's swedish cooking.

BTW, did any one catch the new cooking show on PBS.  The on air personality's name is Tina Norstrom and it's swedish cooking.

I saw this too. The show is called New Scandinavian Cooking. The show used to have another chef/host -Andres something? It must me a new season with a new chef.

What ever happened to Into the Fire? It was a great "behind-the-scenes" doc that showcased one restaurant per show.

A great show that was on the Home Channel was Kylie Kwong: Cooking With Heart and Soul. It came out of Australia and was so well-executed. Beautiful, luscious food shots and interesting menus. All bent towards Chinese cuisine...

Another was Surfing the Menu... also Australian.

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

My fiancee turned onto Daisy Cooks, with Daisy Martinez on PBS.  She's a lot of fun, and the food's got a lot of flavor!

Daisy Cooks!

Oh, that's just the green beans sauteed with a whole head of roasted garlic talkin'. :raz:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

PBS and Discovery Home offer the best non-FTV cooking shows. In my opinion the quality varies, I sort of have them divided into the following groups (can u tell I'm a Cooking show nerd :biggrin: ):

1- Watchable mainly as background noise but never inspired me and mostly caused me to chuckle at their comments and/or format: These include "License to Grill" and to a lesser extent "Chef at Home". The first show has better food, but the second one has a better host/format. Neither is that interesting. "Daisy" from PBS is in this category as well.

2- Interesting/Very Amusing and fun but never inspired me to cook anything: These include "Rosemary: QOTK", "Cooking In Brooklyn" (sometimes his food is downright awful looking but the guy is funny, cool and comfortable infront of the camera), "The Best", "Yan Can Cook".

3- Good shows with good food and are educational or at least inspiring. These inculde "Kylie Kwong", "Friend For Dinner" (except when Ainsley is the guest :angry: ), "Great Chefs of The World", "Fast Food My Way", "America's Test Kitchen".

I am also looking forward to Marcus Samuelsson's new debut on Discovery Home channel in November. His show is called "Inner Chef" I think. I have high hopes for it but we'll wait and see....

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

OK--- I do like the places he goes to and I enjoy seeing the dishes he samples and makes, but, all the same--- HE DRIVES ME NUTS!!! When he's tasting something, he NEVER describes it! He'll make some face, or a 'yummy' sound, or says it's fantastic, incredible, etc. but he'll never describe how it tastes! That just drives me up a wall! Say why it's incredible, fantastic, etc.....

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

i can't believe nobody has mentioned lidia's italian kitchen! what a fabulous older woman who brings her entire family (including her son, sommelier Joseph Bastianich, Mario Batali's partner) into the kitchen. she's just so darn cute.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
My fiancee turned onto Daisy Cooks, with Daisy Martinez on PBS.  She's a lot of fun, and the food's got a lot of flavor!

Daisy Cooks!

Oh, that's just the green beans sauteed with a whole head of roasted garlic talkin'. :raz:

I made her Yellow Rice and Daisy's right, it does make you want to beat your mamma! :laugh:

I started a new thread about Daisy.