• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairings

Robert Schonfeld

Which wines available commercially would members pair with these two dishes from GT?:

Langostino with Chanterelles and Watercress

Turbot with Sugar Snap Peas, Wild Spinach and Summer Truffle (whatever that is)

I'm interested in wines of very good quality, but nothing I'd have to sell securities to buy.

Many thanks.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

Which wines available commercially would members pair with these two dishes from GT?:

Langostino with Chanterelles and Watercress

Turbot with Sugar Snap Peas, Wild Spinach and Summer Truffle (whatever that is)

I'm interested in wines of very good quality, but nothing I'd have to sell securities to buy.

Many thanks.

Ahem. :smile:

I'm finding success with our Vouvray by the glass these days with the Lango but I'd take any demi-sec Vouvray.

The turbot poses more trouble for a number of reasons but I'd probably go Gruner Veltliner or Jurancon

But if I were looking to tie them together with one wine it would be any Riesling by Breuer, Privi Privat by Nigl, or Deiss Altenburg.

These are world class wines that do not require a mortgage.

Robert - I like drinking white Burgundy with my langouste, especially if the sauce is butter based. For the tubot though, the summer truffles (probably grey in color,) I would look for a riesling. Chris's suggestion of the Deiss isn't a bad one, and would probably go well with both.

Robert - I like drinking white Burgundy with my langouste, especially if the sauce is butter based.

Is "langoustino" the same as "langouste", or alternatively the same as "langoustine", on French menus?  :wink:

I like drinking white Burgundy with my langouste, especially if the sauce is butter based.

Good idea although I've found that shellfish take to riesling and fin fish to burgundy, but that may be true only for Tom's preparations.

Here's the conflict I can find my self in at GT. (Assuming that the guest is working with our list and not bringing his wine)

Paying attention to the original request which factors in cost, I doubt that I'll have a white burgundy by the glass that'll have the strength to pair against the lango and the watercress. (The cress is the wild card here) So now I'm into the bottled list.

Chassagne? No. Never enough acid for me (my biases will now become apparent)

Mersault? Only if the chantrelles were dominant which they aren't.

G.C. Chablis Yes! Will run into price troubles though

1er Cru or Lieux Dits Puligny is probably where I'm going to end up given producer, year, price etc. probably Paul Pernot for price value relationship although if Sauzet is in the budget ...

But now I have a wine with all I need for the turbot and a bottle of it as well, no need to move into anything else at this time. Summer truffles are a minor player and here's another aspect to look at. With the lango you have both a strong protein and a strong component in the watercress.

With the turbot, you have a strong protein with some fairly tame components and with the accent on beurre fondue

For a   humble left coast suggestion, I had the 1999 Martinelli Charles Ranch Chardonnay.  Very pleasant (as long as you're not too oak sensitive).

The 1998 Martinelli vineyard Martinelli was super. But the 1999 Martinelli vineyard was way too oaky.  

The Charles Ranch should be very affordable.

beachfan

I would like to applaud Christopher's response.  I would agree with the G.C. Chablis for the Lango, but it does present a price issue.  With the Turbot  the Gruner Veltliner would be sensational and not an outrageously priced option.

Cabrales-

You posed a good question for clarification.  Langostine, Langostino, Langustra, Langouste are French and Spanish words. Langostino and Langostine is Spanish and French for prawn, Langustra and Langouste is Spanish and French for Spiny Lobster.

With the Turbot  the Gruner Veltliner would be sensational and not an outrageously priced option.

Yes. Perfect. Gruner V is a real value packed gem.

Jean Georges poured a '79 Gruner by the glass a few years ago and it still had racy acidity. One of the more amazing wines I've had in this life and it was paired with turbot at the time. Just brilliant

Many thanks, Christopher. I see examples of the things you mention on your list.

robert, anything from Domaine Weinbach, Tokay pinot gris, Shlossberg Reisling, or their gewurtz. Beautiful, creamy, sweet

How about a Hermitage Blanc or a white Chateuneuf?  I find the mineral qualities of white rhones would complement the chanterelles while the acidity would work well with the shell fish.  The mineral earthy tones would also be a nice foil to the snap peas and musty truffles.   Chave is obvioulsy fantastic but $$$.  Chapoutier is a solid negotiant.

On the less obvious side, I would pair an arneis from Piedmont.  Giacosa has a very good one for less money.

Christopher -- spot on!  I was thinking GV when reading the original post (especially if you can get more of that Prager you had some time ago, although the Brundlmayer that was on this list last time was quite good also).  GV is amazingly versitile -- the Prager was, quite unexpectedly, an absolutely perfect match for Chef's rabbit.

For the langust I would drink a light white like a one year old muscadet,Iv'e served this with lobster preparations and it works abmirably with the dish. This wine is dry and a little tart,which would cut through the dish somewhat like lemon would,but has enough fruit to stand up to the richer elements of your dish.

I hope this is ok to do, I copy and paste a thread i did on another site that may help with some basic understanding of pairings

http://www.cheftalkcafe.com/forums....id=5772

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.