• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapas Restaurants

baophac

joey your such a putz,how could you be so stupid as to wish harm to a few young men,getting in debt to start a new project on a hard street with lots of competition,im very disapointed in you,i always thought you were a smart kid til now, shame on you for wishing ill thoughts on them.........i wish for your dreams and projects to come through ,this city needs positive thinkers......

Come on Dave, you know I'm not the only one thinking it. True, I wish them the best, if it is a couple of young dudes putting themselves in debt and so on. It might be me in those shoes one day. But let's be honest here, how many restos have started up and folded in that space in the past few years? Seems that a pattern has developed and that space is just cursed. No harm intended. All the best, dudes.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Come on Dave, you know I'm not the only one thinking it.  True, I wish them the best, if it is a couple of young dudes putting themselves in debt and so on.  It might be me in those shoes one day.  But let's be honest here, how many restos have started up and folded in that space in the past few years?  Seems that a pattern has developed and that space is just cursed.  No harm intended.  All the best, dudes.

2 resto open and closed on the same spot. but they where also from the same owners and the concept was praticly the same. who knows maybe the street could use a little tapas not to mention a change of major ownership

are'nt there enough italian or mediteranean restaurants on the street!!

So who's opening this one this time? They gotta be a brave couple of dudes. I assumed it was the same group. Hence the jab. You know what assuming does, right?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

it *is* true that they had a sign there for two months saying something like "Flo Sushi", and then when Treehouse opened in the old Soto spot, that sign came down and the "MTL Tapas" one went up.

IF they have consistently interesting food, 1/2 decent prices, cute waitstaff, and high table turnover they can make it! good luck to them, whoever they are...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

"how could you be so stupid as to wish harm to a few young men,getting in debt to start a new project on a hard street with lots of competition"

cause god knows, that street is littered with old fahion, hard earned and unquestionable investments...

I agree with MacMillan,there are too many persons who for some unknown reason try and defeat any new project in this city.Perhaps they know for some reason,facts that the average restaurant goer does not.Blvd St.Laurent is not beat up,as it is going through a signifigant change.For years it was the destination in this city when there was nothing interesting going on.It produced alot of great dinning experiences and is still capable of doing this.The problem is not the concepts,but rather the clientele has changed, partially due to a economic reccesion.It is a younger crowd,who does not have the income that was produced during the dot.com days,as housing starts have affected all the restaurants in this city.Restaurants are more spread out,but we still have alot of sh...ty places,that rip you off.Why not differt your energies to rid of us some of these places.Support the street that brought out good concepts and raised the bar to give other establishments good chefs, and idea's.Before restaurants on this street there were only hotels,and we see where this type of dinning has led.

Some of the most recent succesful places in the city,were from persons who started to gain recognition on St.Laurent Blvd.

1.MacMillan

2.Joe Mercuri

3.Claude P.

4.John Lee (sushi chef)

5.Tri Du

6.Zach/Michel

and alot of others in between.

As for the unquestionable investors,this is inuendo.Give the street a fair chance.The concepts prior to Mont.Tapas lounge were very sound,just timing was an issue.

Good luck to ever is MTL.Hope you get what you want.

"there are too many persons who for some unknown reason try and defeat any new project in this city"

God. I'm not trying to defeat it, or "any new project in the city". Sorry for the poor choice of words. Settle down, guys. All I was saying is that following the patterns of St. Laurent, it's really tough to get a project off the ground, and keep it floating. Baila lived a few months, and it wasn't because the food sucked. I ate their food and was very very happy, and enjoyed the atmosphere. Then there was the sushi place in its place. I was hoping to get to that, but suddenly it folded. Pizzadelic moved into NEVA's old space when it folded. Then the steakhouse that took over folded quickly, before they even had a chance to put their menu outside into a frame.

It's just that I think a dude's gotta be extremely able and confident to put himself on the line like that. St Laurent is tough. I'll be impressed, without a doubt, if they succeed, and I wish them the best. I know it's not easy to start any project, as I have worked through two restaurant openings and saw that side of the beginnings of a place. But to take that step on St. Laurent... that's doubly tough. Anyway, enough energy has been spent on this. I'm sorry I caused such a rukus, I'll watch my mouth. Mom indeed told me "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." thanks mom, you're spot on. spot on, indeed.

I find it incredible that St.Laurent street is considered a hard street to start up a business, and actually I don't buy it. It seems to me that where ever you decide to open, be it St.Laurent, Old Montreal, West-End, St.Denis or anywhere beyond or between real businessmen will do there research. Who can I expect to eat here, what are the demographics, what am I trying to sell. Are there really any easy streets to open a restaurant in Montreal, because if so PM me. The idea if you build it they will come is just not the case. I can only speak for Baila(the first restaurant in the MTL space). There were a myriad of reasons why it didn't work, primarilly the indecision by ownership to have clear idea of what they wanted. Specifically the age old question: is it a bar or a restaurant. I could go into details, but maybe that should be for another post 'When restaurants go wrong'. However, I will say that it never had a chance, and there wasn't much I could do about it(the ultimate motivation to control everything).

Understanding your market and your business are the 2 most important factors in opening a restaurant. Ultimately, not enough experience or knowledge in these 2 areas are the principle reasons why restaurants fold.

The anti-St.Laurent sentiment that exists has always baffled me. I always assumed it came from a mix of jealousy, ignorance and low self-esteem.

Finally, with no clue who will be opening MTL, I wish them nothing but the best of luck. Although, as I always say luck has nothing to do with it.

Same here. Your points well taken, except on that dot com thing. I don't know how old you are but economic recession ? Montreal has never been as vibrant.

As far as the inuendo thing, spare me. I absolutely did not want to associate these comments to MTL. But I've seen that street change on a daily basis for the last 20 years. I remember snorting pounds of coke with club owner's that are now restaurant owners who never once had a major bank loan. I know folks who's world suddenly collapse because their so called investor boyfriends (quote ACTIONNAIRES unquote) had to make a short cut to jail before coming home for dinner... I'm not complaining. The city wouldn't exist without these folks and I don't see them any worst than the BOD of Nortel for example. But for the love of god, give me a break, I don't play violin. I'm really bad at it, versus others.

Another point I want to make, the city is so dirty, it's amazing, it's beyond me, it's like Montrealers have special eyes or some kind of system to negate all the trash on the street. I write about it because it is especially noticeable in that sherbrooke to Pine stretch, mind boggling how getto the street has become.

Edited by identifiler (log)

• 5 months later...

OK, if there are threads on this subject, I can't find them! Anyway, I've been to Casa Tapas many times, it is good, but would like to try another place...I've heard of Barraca Rhumerie et Tapas, and Pinxto. Anyone have views on either of these places?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Best indie music spot in the world...

You're thinking of the Sala Rossa (red room) upstairs. The pink (Rosa) room downstairs has some yummy, inexpensive tapas. Definitely a cut above the down-home Spanish places like the Social Club, but not haute either.

It is silly to name the rooms Rosa and Rossa when so few people have enough Spanish to notice the difference...

I know all three and always considered to be the same, in fact, this is the first time I realised the rosa and rossa difference... The club social I think is just an overflow for both concerts and food (I saw kings of convenience there). It is all owned by the same consortium (creators of the mythical Godspeed, black emperor).

Off topic, this reminds me that just about 6 months before becoming one of the most respected indie bands and Bowie protegés, a few of Arcade Fire were heating up pizzas in the middle of the night at Euro Deli...

sorry identiflier but arcade fire is not nirvana, just another overated montreal band, despite spin magazine we are not the next seattle.

speaking of eurodeli what the hell happened to their spinach stufed pizza? it sucks now

for tapas:

sala rosa is good

tapeo is great, amzing vibe

deux is cool but food is so-so. they need to stop the lame interpretation of thomas keller with the salmon cornets, this is a joke

pinxto is so-so, they are haunted by the ghost of one of montreals greatest joints that used to be in that space. had some mixed meals there but the food is ok.

depending on who you ask club chasse main courses are also tapas :-)

in my opinion we do not have real tapas here, certainly not iberian style

i think montreal could be a good place for nouveau tapas with our local speciaties served as a small dish e.g. poutine, smoked meat. would be great. also quebec foie gras which is good. also lately i discovefed our honeys thanks to the nice man in atwater market. wow it is great.

This past weekend I noticed a really nice looking Portuguese tapas place on The Main up around Duluth, on the West Side of the street. Great sounding tapas in the $5-$7 price range, and a nice room to boot. I wished I'd have had a chance to try it out, but I never got around to it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about - it had the word "Portuguese" in the name. Anyways, they had some great Portuguese standards, like grilled sardinhas, on the menu. They also have a tasting menu for two at $95 that includes a number of tapas, wines, desserts, and port.

It may have been Chez le Portugais - thanks! I found this review over at the Hour.ca site - sounds like it might be what the OP was looking for. Seems to be straighforward Portuguese cooking even though the menu adds a little verbal flair. However, from the window on the street, I don't remember them offering anything but tapas - the most expensive item on the menu was probably around $9 - I didn't notice anything that was considered a "main".

Chez le Portugais

4134, St Laurent (at Rue Rachel)

(514) 849.0550

sorry identiflier but arcade fire is not nirvana, just another overated montreal band, despite spin magazine we are not the next seattle.

speaking of eurodeli what the hell happened to their spinach stufed pizza? it sucks now

Overated, I don't think so. Seattle ? Oh you mean the constant easy recipee of speed on speed off of Nirvana... blah... great band (from what I can remember at the Foufs) but if you must live in the past, I'd rather listen to the remastered Gang of Four. It's easy to live in the past, it's even easier to catch the present when so much is happening in your backyard.

I actually had the stuffed spinash pizza last week and it was vile, they used old garlic to make it (way to much too) and the ceasar used rusty old romaine... shame, so close, yet so far from an good cheap eat.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, I'm new here so go easy on me :biggrin:

I was wondering if anyone knew a good place for tapas in Montreal? Nothing too fancy or pretentious, just somewhere I can go that's not too busy with a bunch of friends.

Thanks!

hi sockhead--

welcome to eGullet~! :smile:

i'm not a big expert on tapas (or pinxtos, as the smaller portions now seem to be called in some places), but there's:

--taza flores, parc ave just north of mount royal, east side

--new spanish place, st-laurent just south of avenue des pins, west side

...plus several others that received good write-ups in various media.

hint #1: if you search "montreal tapas" on eGullet and dig a little...

#2: also, if you go to Montreal Mirror and search their resto review archives, as well as Hour Magazine and MontrealFood.com, they should have reviews of tapas places...

wish i could be more specifically helpful,

gus

Google results for montreal tapas...

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen