• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tasting Events in Toronto

cava_girl

I received an invite to the upcoming Wines of Chile wine tasting event in T.O., but unfortunately, will not be in town for this one.

I'm looking for recommended resources (on-line or print) for similar events in T.O. -- for special, annual or in-restaurant wine tasting events.

Any hot leads would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Thanx,

cava_girl

Self-promoting here, but my company, Lifford Wine Agency, holds a tasting of our entire portfolio each year on the first Wednesday in May. The next event will be held May 3, 2006 at the Eglinton Grand Theatre (Eglinton and Avenue Road).

There are usually around 200-250 wines to sample and last year we had more than 30 winemakers and winery representatives in attendance. Tickets are usually around $100.

More information closer to the event at http://www.liffordwineagency.com/

(You can see information on last year's event here: http://www.liffordwineagency.com/special/2...sle/index.html)

Most of the wines are not available through the LCBO so it's a chance to discover some hidden (in Ontario, at least) treasures.

Edited by jmcnally (log)

Self-promoting here, but my company, Lifford Wine Agency, holds a tasting of our entire portfolio each year on the first Wednesday in May. The next event will be held May 3, 2006 at the Eglinton Grand Theatre (Eglinton and Avenue Road).

There are usually around 200-250 wines to sample and last year we had more than 30 winemakers and winery representatives in attendance. Tickets are usually around $100.

More information closer to the event at http://www.liffordwineagency.com/

(You can see information on last year's event here: http://www.liffordwineagency.com/special/2...sle/index.html)

Most of the wines are not available through the LCBO so it's a chance to discover some hidden (in Ontario, at least) treasures.

Are there any wine stores in Toronto with older selections? The LCBOs are quite underhwleming (at least the ones I've visited)

I received an invite to the upcoming Wines of Chile wine tasting event in T.O., but unfortunately, will not be in town for this one.

I'm looking for recommended resources (on-line or print) for similar events in T.O.  -- for special, annual or in-restaurant wine tasting events.

Any hot leads would be greatly appreciated!  :rolleyes:

Thanx,

cava_girl

If you are on Vintages mailing list, especially the list with special wines, such as Bordeaux Futures, or Vintages Classics, you'll see lots of notices for tastings, auctions, and food and wine events. Just contact Vintages at Vintages.com, or call them to get on the various mailing lists.

re there any wine stores in Toronto with older selections? The LCBOs are quite underhwleming (at least the ones I've visited)

Queen's Quay is as old as it gets.

But are you on the Classics mailing list? They have lots of older vintages at higher prices. (Usually too rich for me). Even if your address is in New York State, there is probably a way to order by fax and pick up in Ontario.

Are there any members of the Winetasters Society of Toronto on the board? I'd be interested in joining is they held any events on the weekends.

Hi Gordon,

I'm a Winetasters member, but unfortunately all of their tastings are held on Wed. They have the occassional special dinner on weekends (actually, they aren't that special), but every event worth going to IMNSHO takes place on a weekday.

If you can make it down on a weekday, they have a special wine tasting at Casa Loma every year around Christmas. Lots of excellent and interesting wines at an extremely reasonable price point.

www.winetasters.on.ca

I'm looking for recommended resources (on-line or print) for similar events in T.O.  -- for special, annual or in-restaurant wine tasting events.

Any hot leads would be greatly appreciated!  :rolleyes:

Thanx,

cava_girl

http://www.localwineevents.com/Toronto-Wine/

Doesn't have everything obviously, but a start.

Are there any members of the Winetasters Society of Toronto on the board? I'd be interested in joining is they held any events on the weekends.

Hi Gordon,

I'm a Winetasters member, but unfortunately all of their tastings are held on Wed. They have the occassional special dinner on weekends (actually, they aren't that special), but every event worth going to IMNSHO takes place on a weekday.

If you can make it down on a weekday, they have a special wine tasting at Casa Loma every year around Christmas. Lots of excellent and interesting wines at an extremely reasonable price point.

www.winetasters.on.ca

Judging from your taste in food - I figured it was a given.

Cava Girl,

There was a Portuguese wine show/tasting at the Windsor Arms this past Thurs. The 'Group of 7' were there - nothing to do with paintings, but instead 7 of the biggest Portuguese producers, like JP da Fonseca, Sogrape, Alianca, etc.

I found out about it through the Indep Wine Education Guild, through which I'm doing an intermediate WSET course. I don't know how else you'd have found out about it, as I'm new to these things, but I guess people in the business tend to know.

It was by invitation, and you needed to RSVP, but any lucky hotel guest could have just walked in. They just asked that you leave your card at the door. (Note to self: devise 'business cards' for future events. :cool: )

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of the Directors of Winetasters Society of Toronto (and thanks Tom for your recommendation).

We just don't get a turnout on weekends (we've tried several times), so no likelihood of change there (exception: if we get a REALLY interesting speaker from out-of-town, then we have held events outside our 'normal' schedule - which is 2nd Wednesday each month).

Almost the only exception is our summer event 'Vinalia' held on a Friday night in June (3rd Friday) at Southbrook Winery.

And, indeed the Xmas at Casa Loma (2nd Wed in December) is usually rated our finest event (immodestly maybe the finest event in Toronto).

I'm also 'linked' to most of the other Wine Clubs in Toronto, so if anybody wants to connect to any of them, just PM me. The main two 'independent' groups are Toronto Vintners Club, and Winetasters Society of Toronto (both over 25 years organising themed tastings from around the world). But there are also 'dedicated' groups tasting Australian, South African, Spanish, Ontario, Portuguese, Port, Madeira etc etc (haven't deliberately excluded anyone).

The best source for all tastings is Michael Vaughan's Vintage Assessments

Vintage Assessments

some parts of this site are subscription only, but I've been able to get in through Google links on occasion.

And, of course, I feel I have to plug my own Winetasters

Winetasters

Most of these clubs allow visitors/guests at slightly higher rates, so that you can see what you're getting.

On this subject here is a Champagne tasting coming up about a month from now. We have Guillaume Deglise the Worldwide President of sales for Laurent-Perrier attending this event. I have included the menu with pairings as well as contact info should anyone have any interest. Tickets will be going very fast as there is only 20 seats available, as we are doing this as a live cooking demo with the Chef and Sommelier serving.

Laurent-Perrier Dinner

Azure restaurant Intercontinental hotel

225 Front St. W.

416 597-8142

Monday November 14th

Oyster Shooter with Champagne, Cucumber Granite

Laurent-Perrier Ultra Brut

~~~~~~~~~~

Cream of Walnut Soup, Cured Duck Breast,

Poached Pear

Laurent-Perrier Brut

~~~~~~~~~~