• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sara Moulton's moving to PBS

zilla369

After nearly a decade, Moulton's Food Network show "Sara's Secrets" will end on Dec. 31, but fans shouldn't despair: She's going to PBS, which she noted, "actually can draw more people."

Here's a link to the item on accessatlanta.com (free registration required).

Discuss. Can PBS actually "draw more people"? Or does she mean it's accessible to more people? How does this bode for Sara - well or ill?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

That's great news. Finally she'll get to do the show she really wants to do.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That's great news. Finally she'll get to do the show she really wants to do.

I was going to say the same thing! I've never been a huge Sara Moulton fan, but for a long time I've sensed that the Food Network was not the place for her to shine her brightest.

I think that, as part of PBS' food line-up (including my fave, America's Test Kitchen), she will draw more of an audience suited to her approach and personality.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I get to meet her and I'm so excited!!! She is coming to KC and teaching a cooking class and you get a copy of her cookbook signed! I can barely contain myself until November! :smile:

As for the move, I thought I had read that she said Food Network was going in a different direction and that didn't include her? Did I make that up? I can never seem to find the good cooking shows on PBS that everyone always talks about... I think they must be on at weird times here. I think fans will follow her, so hopefully there's enough of us!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I get to meet her and I'm so excited!!!  She is coming to KC and teaching a cooking class and you get a copy of her cookbook signed!  I can barely contain myself until November!  :smile:

As for the move, I thought I had read that she said Food Network was going in a different direction and that didn't include her?  Did I make that up?  I can never seem to find the good cooking shows on PBS that everyone always talks about... I think they must be on at weird times here.  I think fans will follow her, so hopefully there's enough of us!

Katie, if you can't find the shows on TV, try checking out PBS websites. If you like going totally nerdy, you can probably get some of them on DVD! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I get to meet her and I'm so excited!!!  She is coming to KC and teaching a cooking class and you get a copy of her cookbook signed!  I can barely contain myself until November!  :smile:

As for the move, I thought I had read that she said Food Network was going in a different direction and that didn't include her?  Did I make that up?  I can never seem to find the good cooking shows on PBS that everyone always talks about... I think they must be on at weird times here.  I think fans will follow her, so hopefully there's enough of us!

If you go online you can find a schedule for the PBS and Public Broadcasting stations in your area, usually.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

If you go online you can find a schedule for the PBS and Public Broadcasting stations in your area, usually.

After nearly a decade, Moulton's Food Network show "Sara's Secrets" will end on Dec. 31
and it may be some length of time until the PBS Sara show debuts ... hopefully, next spring. (access atlanta link)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

i think pbs has always had higher quality cooking shows then foodtv

julia child

charlie trotter

lidia bastianich

jacque torres?

sara moulton can finally cook for real now.  cia represent!

Jacques Pepin! Fast Food My Way is fabulous!

Need we go on? :raz:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

julia child

charlie trotter

lidia bastianich

jacque torres?

And don't forget Jacques Pepin!

**Oops, apparently Megan and I were thinking the same thing.

Edited by peppyre (log)

julia child

charlie trotter

lidia bastianich

jacque torres?

And don't forget Jacques Pepin!

**Oops, apparently Megan and I were thinking the same thing.

Great minds, peppyre! :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

PBS Program and Series Sites

Africa

Ethiopian Highland Recipes

Great Lakes Recipes

Rainforest Recipes

Sahara Recipes

Sahel Recipes

Savanna Recipes

Southern Africa Recipes

Swahili Coast Recipes

American Masters

Alice Waters

Circle of Stories: The Cooking Spirit

Cooking Under Fire

Cucina Sicilia

Everyday Food

Hidden Korea

Hidden India

Independent Lens

Sumo East and West: Chanko-nabe Recipe

Jewish Cooking in America with Joan Nathan

Julia Child: Lessons With Master Chefs

Livelyhood: Slow Food Recipes

Manor House: Treats

Masterpiece Theatre: Book Club Bites

Meaning of Food

Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure

NOVA

Secrets of Lost Empires: Real Roman Recipes

P.O.V.

Hybrid: Corn Tortilla Recipe

Sweeney Todd: Traditional English Recipes

Victory Garden

website

PBS has a tremendous number of cooking programs of which they can be justifiably proud!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

How appropriate, as la Julia was her mentor, and such a strong advocate for public television. I think FoodTV stifled Sara Moulton, and I like her mix of info and chat. I'll be watching.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Good for her!!

I luvs me some PBS. :biggrin:

That is where I watched my first cooking shows as a little girl, and by garlic I shall now return to it -- I didn't realize they had developed such a repertoire. Though I don't see Kitchen Sessions (Charlie Trotter) listed -- isn't that nationally distributed?

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

Good for her!!

I luvs me some PBS.  :biggrin:

That is where I watched my first cooking shows as a little girl, and by garlic I shall now return to it -- I didn't realize they had developed such a repertoire.  Though I don't see Kitchen Sessions (Charlie Trotter) listed -- isn't that nationally distributed?

"America's Test Kitchen"?

"Christina Cooks"?

There are dozens more shows not on the list GG reproduced. The list she swiped is of the PBS food shows that have their own Web sites.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. She's gonna do great there. Hopefully she won't have to field phone calls. I always feel sorry for her when she has to take phone calls.

BTW... I can tell I'm getting older now because, in my mind anyway, Food Network has fallen out of my favor in the same way that MTV did about seven years ago.

MTV (and now VH1 and my beloved MTV2)... no videos. If I want to see a video, I'd better be awake at 2 am.

Food Network... very few quality cooking shows. I can't just tune in and expect that there will be someone/something interesting on (that I haven't already seen 1,000 times). Now I actually have to check the guide to make sure it's not "Unwrapped" or something. Sigh. (Where are thou David Rosengarten?) Anyway, if I want to watch some great cooking I just wait until Saturday morning and veg in front of some good old PBS for about four hours. No flipping needed.

Good for her!!

I luvs me some PBS.  :biggrin:

That is where I watched my first cooking shows as a little girl, and by garlic I shall now return to it -- I didn't realize they had developed such a repertoire.  Though I don't see Kitchen Sessions (Charlie Trotter) listed -- isn't that nationally distributed?

Jennifer, each PBS market 'buys' the programs they want to show. As an example, when I lived in Los Angeles, cooking shows made up exactly two hours of broadcast time which equals four half-hour shows. I recall getting an announcement that Jaques Torres was doing a chocolate program however the Angelos, in their infinite wisdom, did not see it worthwhile.

Then I moved to Northern California and living halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, I actually have access to three different PBS stations that all play different shows (albeit similar schedules). Here in NoCal, there is a whole Saturday afternoon of cooking shows, methinks at least four or five hours' worth. I was blown away at the additional shows that were available!

In Los Angeles, I never new Joanne Weir(d) had a show! Or Lidia Bastianich! And I finally got to see some of the amazing Jacques Torres chocolate work... and the Johnson & Wales school shows... the list goes on!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

BTW... I can tell I'm getting older now because, in my mind anyway, Food Network has fallen out of my favor in the same way that MTV did about seven years ago. 

MTV (and now VH1 and my beloved MTV2)... no videos.  If I want to see a video, I'd better be awake at 2 am. 

Food Network... very few quality cooking shows.  I can't just tune in and expect that there will be someone/something interesting on (that I haven't already seen 1,000 times).  Now I actually have to check the guide to make sure it's not "Unwrapped" or something.  Sigh.  (Where are thou David Rosengarten?)  Anyway, if I want to watch some great cooking I just wait until Saturday morning and veg in front of some good old PBS for about four hours.  No flipping needed.

I think the way the Food Network has slowly been becomig a "slave to ratings"

as seen on many once quality basic cable stations (just look at "growing up gotti" if you don't know what i mean) has somewhat of a relation to the state of dining in america. Some my argue that TV, and by that America in general is being dumbed down. I tend to only half agree, PBS has had some real stinkers in the past.

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

MTV (and now VH1 and my beloved MTV2)... no videos.  If I want to see a video, I'd better be awake at 2 am. 

Food Network... very few quality cooking shows.  I can't just tune in and expect that there will be someone/something interesting on (that I haven't already seen 1,000 times).  Now I actually have to check the guide to make sure it's not "Unwrapped" or something.  Sigh.  (Where are thou David Rosengarten?)  Anyway, if I want to watch some great cooking I just wait until Saturday morning and veg in front of some good old PBS for about four hours.  No flipping needed.

Terrific analogy. I first fell in love with cooking shows on PBS and was ecstatic when FN came to my cable. It was my 'default' channel - the channel that was on when nothing else was on, or I just needed background noise. Now I've come full circle and am back to PSB for my cooking show fix.

And congrats to Sara - its nice to see another talented FN refugee escape to greener pastures.

ETA: because I really do know how to spell.

Edited by inny (log)

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

Jennifer, each PBS market 'buys' the programs they want to show. As an example, when I lived in Los Angeles, cooking shows made up exactly two hours of broadcast time which equals four half-hour shows. I recall getting an announcement that Jaques Torres was doing a chocolate program however the Angelos, in their infinite wisdom, did not see it worthwhile.

Then I moved to Northern California and living halfway between San Francisco and San Francisco, I actually have access to three different PBS stations that all play different shows (albeit similar schedules). Here in NoCal, there is a whole Saturday afternoon of cooking shows, methinks at least four or five hours' worth. I was blown away at the additional shows that were available!

In Los Angeles, I never new Joanne Weir(d) had a show! Or Lidia Bastianich! And I finally got to see some of the amazing Jacques Torres chocolate work... and the Johnson & Wales school shows...  the list goes on!

Ah, ok. Thank you, Carolyn! Since my PBS station is in NYC, I expect a plethora of programming. I'll have to look at WNET's schedule.

Jennifer <---- Happy to be out from under the rock

:rolleyes:

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)