• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swizzles!

slkinsey

So, what's everyone using as their substitute tree-branch swizzle stick?

If you are patient, you could get a synthetic swizzle stick from Boston Shaker when the become available.

Seems like they have quite a way to go to make their funding goal and not much time to get there.

Yeah, 58% of funding left with a week to go? hmmm

• 4 weeks later...

Death in the Gulf Stream (via Bartender's Choice). It's a swizzle with genever, lime juice, simple syrup and Angostura bitters. It is said to have been a favorite of Hemingway.

7332499656_9ac810d63c_z.jpg

It is intensely sour at first as expected with only 1/2 part simple syrup for 1 part lime juice. It grew on me as the ice melted. It is really refreshing.

• 2 months later...

Another refreshing swizzle, the Barbadian Gin Punch Swizzle from Imbibe magazine, a recipe from David Wondrich which calls for genever, coconut water, lime juice, demerara syrup and Angostura bitters. There was something interesting about the sweet coconut water and the malt/smoke of the genever. It was somewhat of an unexpected pairing which really grew on me. Plus I am also on the lookout for good genever-based recipes.

7910132266_4bee0bbb35_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 6 months later...

Rum Swizzle (from the Bartender's Choice app) made this weekend with Plantation 5 years rum, lime juice, Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, and Angostura bitters. A little dry with the dry curaçao as the sweetener (I had to add a touch of simple syrup); next time I will try it with the Clément Créole shrubb.

8567746000_04b71b0913_z.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Same glass but a different swizzle to accompany the blistering heat wave in San Diego. This one is for Hassouni.

14008748039_e201281ef6_z.jpg

Dolores Park Swizzle (by Thad Vogler of Bar Agricole) with La Favorite rhum agricole blanc, lime juice, cane syrup, maraschino liqueur, St. George absinthe verte, topped with Peychaud's bitters and mint.

The licorice from the absinthe & Peychaud's accentuate the earthy qualities of the rhum agricole. It's quite delightful, but anything with rhum agricole usually is.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Griffith Park Swizzle (Sam Ross) with Elijah Craig bourbon, lime juice, raw sugar, simple syrup, St. George absinthe, Angostura & Peychaud's bitters, mint.

This one reminded me of a mint Julep, but the absinthe and Peychaud's added a certain je ne sais quoi that was magical with the bourbon.

16572250088_6c07743e9a_z.jpg

• Like 1

Griffith Park Swizzle (Sam Ross) with Elijah Craig bourbon, lime juice, raw sugar, simple syrup, St. George absinthe, Angostura & Peychaud's bitters, mint.

This one reminded me of a mint Julep, but the absinthe and Peychaud's added a certain je ne sais quoi that was magical with the bourbon.

I tried this last night, what a great drink. I didn't have EC 12 on hand at the moment but with Weller 101 it was still fantastic. It looked a little sweet on paper between the bourbon and the extra teaspoon of sugar on top of the simple, but the aromatics and spice from the bitters and absinthe maintained the balance very well.

That looks somewhat similar to something that Murray Stenson made for my DB as her first taste of absinthe. I thought it was gin based and without the bitters float but it was towards the end of the evening. The mint and absinthe worked almost too well together - we probably could have knocked them off until we couldn't stand.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

IMG_7260.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

Coudn't decide between a bourbon drink or a rum swizzle, so made a Bourbon Swizzle

2oz Wild Turkey 101

1/2 oz Falernum

3/4 oz lime jiuce

3 dashes Peychauds

3 dashes Angosura

I haven't finished reading the whole discussion on layered vs. mixing bitters in, but I like the the bitters on top because of the look plus the fantastic aromatics you get. Also seems to me that the bitters slowly make thier way down into the drink and it develops nicely as you sip. I also thought the WT worked quite well with the falernum and lime. Wasn't sure if the falernum and Peychauds would clash, but tasted pretty good to me.

• Like 2

How's the Bitter Truth falernum?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

How's the Bitter Truth falernum?

I love it! However, I have nothing to compare it to as it's the only falernum available here. That said, I find it nice and spicy - strong clove and cinnamon/allspice,  thick mouthfeel, not overly sweet. It also has this slight soapy thing going on (but not in an unpleasent way). I usually cut back (i.e. 1/2 oz when a recipe calls for 3/4 oz), otherwise it can tend to take over.

Going to try making my own when this bottle nears it's end.

I love it! However, I have nothing to compare it to as it's the only falernum available here. That said, I find it nice and spicy - strong clove and cinnamon/allspice,  thick mouthfeel, not overly sweet. It also has this slight soapy thing going on (but not in an unpleasent way). I usually cut back (i.e. 1/2 oz when a recipe calls for 3/4 oz), otherwise it can tend to take over.

Going to try making my own when this bottle nears it's end.

I recommend this recipe http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/make-your-own-falernum/ Also very curious to know how the Bitter Truth one compares. Velvet Falernum is utterly insipid by comparison.

I've been eying that Kaiser Penguin recipe and thinking about making it... a couple questions since you bring it up here:

(1) It has an indefinite shelf life with that much OP rum, right?

(2) Have you improved on the recipe at all? What about mixing a little LH with the W&N?

Personally I like Adam Elmegirab's recipe. It's pretty complex but it tastes wonderful and gets better with age. I keep it in the fridge and my current batch made in September is still going strong. See here for a review of published falernum recipes.

• Like 1

I've been eying that Kaiser Penguin recipe and thinking about making it... a couple questions since you bring it up here:

(1) It has an indefinite shelf life with that much OP rum, right?

(2) Have you improved on the recipe at all? What about mixing a little LH with the W&N?

(1) yup

(2) nope

Personally I like Adam Elmegirab's recipe. It's pretty complex but it tastes wonderful and gets better with age. I keep it in the fridge and my current batch made in September is still going strong. See here for a review of published falernum recipes.

Adam E's was the first recipe I tried. Nothing against it, but if memory served KP's was easier, plus I trust him more on tiki related stuff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another refreshing swizzle, the Barbadian Gin Punch Swizzle from Imbibe magazine, a recipe from David Wondrich which calls for genever, coconut water, lime juice, demerara syrup and Angostura bitters. There was something interesting about the sweet coconut water and the malt/smoke of the genever. It was somewhat of an unexpected pairing which really grew on me. Plus I am also on the lookout for good genever-based recipes.

7910132266_4bee0bbb35_z.jpg

I just made this, subbing in lemon for lime because I didn't feel like a late night walk to the shops. First time I've tried coconut water, too. Everything tastes better with the addition of gin and Ango, right?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 1 year later...

Dolores Park Swizzle (Thad Vogler) with Batiste Ecoiste while rhum agricole, lime juice, J.M cane syrup, Maraschino liqueur, Peychaud's bitters, St George absinthe. Wonderful stuff and it was really harmonious with this rhum (which is more gentle than La Favorite).

Dolores Park Swizzle (Thad Vogler) with Batiste Ecoiste while rhum agricole, lime juice J.M cane syrup, Maraschino liqueur, Peychaud's bitters, St George absinthe

• 1 year later...

6th Park Swizzle (Phil Ward via Death & Co). Documented previously in the Death & Co thread.

It's a winner! Again I've reduced the sugar by switching from 3/4 oz 2:1 syrup to 3/4 oz simple syrup. Perfect! Although way too small with only 1.5 oz of rhum...

6th Street Swizzle

• Like 6