• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broadway Soul Cafe

richl2214

Right across for Mamma Mia's pizza in Bloomfield on Broad Street. We went in unplanned as we went to a near-by place and were turned off by dry pizza and flies.

Regardless, the place is great for soul food. Fried chicken was the best I have had around here. She had the BBQued chicken which was perfectly covered in sauce and not drowned. I knew the food would be good because EVERYTHING is cooked to order and we waited about 20 minutes for our dinners and we were the only ones in there at the time. The place is BYO too and has a bar(no liquor) to eat at and tables. Looks great inside and the owners were more than nice to us.

Not a big menu but good stuff. Prices for lunch are 10.95 to 13.95 for entrees and that comes with two sides: mac/cheese(not as good as Indigo Smoke), collards(awesome), Yams, Beans, corn, string beans, okra, baked beans, plantains.

They also had fried catfish, fried whiting and salmon(not sure if this is fried too) and a Caribbean Chicken dish

Lunches are priced at $3 less.

Sweet potato pie was good for dessert. Seems they do takeout too and breakfast. Off the top of my head I think they had waffles, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, pancakes, grits, eggs , home fires, etc.

Definitely a repeat place.

1040 Broad Street

Bloomfield, NJ

973-893-1131

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Any idea what the hours are? I just walked by about an hour ago, and the place looked empty and closed.

I work about 2 blocks away and I'd love to add a new lunch place to the rotation.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

The menu says 1130am to 830pm Tuesday to Thursday.

Friday 1130am to 1100pm.

Saturday 8am to 11pm.

Sunday 9am to 730pm

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Went by here on Wednesday and there was a sign in the window saying that they were temporarily closed for lunch.  Too bad because I was hungry.

That's odd. Anyway, they were open today and I picked up some very good bbq chicken, mac and cheese, and collards. $9.50 is a little steep for every day, but I would like to go back and try the fried chicken at some point (15 minute wait for that).