• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese sausage

helenas

Our butchers don't make or sell sausages...our grocers sell chinese sausages and they are imported from China/Taiwan/HK. I've actually stopped buying them for quite a while after a lot of horror stories (we won't go into that). I'll check with the one and only company which supplies natural sausage casings. There are a couple of other companies which sell artificial casings...

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Several observations: I have N E V E R eaten lap cheong that was smoked, do they really smoke the sausages? I know that we make dishes like tea-smoked duck, but I need to be reminded that there are preserved foods that are smoked.

Lean to fat ratio for lap cheong is usually somewhere around 3/1 or at a cheaper price, 3/2. In Old Chinatown in Toronto there are at least two specialty meat shops which among other things, make lap cheong, lap yuk, lap ap, etc. In the front of the store they sell the ready to eat cooked stuff; bbq meats, loo mee, joongs, stews, trotters, etc.etc.

Several observations: I have N E V E R eaten lap cheong that was smoked, do they really smoke the sausages? I know that we make dishes like tea-smoked duck, but I need to be reminded that there are preserved foods that are smoked.

Lean to fat ratio for lap cheong is usually somewhere around 3/1 or at a cheaper price, 3/2. In Old Chinatown in Toronto there are at least two specialty meat shops which among other things, make lap cheong, lap yuk, lap ap, etc. In the front of the store they sell the ready to eat cooked stuff; bbq meats, loo mee, joongs, stews, trotters, etc.etc.

So do you know about the fresh (not air-dried) pork sausages I was originally enquiring about?

Here's how I do it-but I'm used to sausage making any since(non-chinese) ones available here are so foul!

Pork Shoulder

Back fat--proportions to taste,you don't actually need as much fat in a dried sausage as in a fresh one.

Salt-3 teaspoons per pound of flesh

Saltpeter-1 pinch per pound of flesh

Cut the meat and fat into 1 inch cubes,add salt and saltpetre, mix well and leave overnight. Drain and dry meat but do not rinse. Mince with two cleavers-much better result than machine. Add dark soy, Shaoshing wine,mei kuei lu, FRESHLY GROUND five-spice powder,chinese rock sugar and MSG to taste. Mix very well. Take thin pork casings,soak in water with a little vinegar, thread onto tap or funnel and rinse thoroughly. Thread onto a sausage filling attachment,piping bag or funnel and fill, not too tightly. Squeeze and twist at appropriate intervals, then tie with string. Hang in a cool breezy place for about a week, making sure the sausages don't touch each other.

Hi muichoi

Glad your pc woes are over.... I hope? Thanks for the above instructions.

My question is...are the ingredients (except for the fat ratio and the saltpeter perhaps?) the same for both the fresh sausages and dried sausages? The only difference being...for fresh ones, you grill it more or less right away, while the dried ones are hung to dry (uncooked, is it??).

Tks again.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Sorry, this was meant to be a recipe for Laap Cheung-i've never come across the fresh ones, I'd certainly leave out the saltpeter from these,and just use a small amount of sugar. I'm not totally convinced about five-spice in this case, which is more of a preserved/roast meat type thing. Rock sugar I pound to a powder, but I think ordinary sugar would be fine as well- don't be afraid to ask more questions! If you haven't made such things before, the food will sense it, so feel very confident!Computer's working again, my daughter's hamster had chewed the cable!

Hi,

When I first started reading this thread, my mom's fresh sausages came to mind. They are either steamed or fried depending on the casing.

The ones that are in regular sausage casings are steamed, and I think what makes them distinctive is the use of 5-spice powder and water chestnut starch. The same filling mixed with spring onions can be wrapped in soy bean skin and fried. The original recipe came from my dad's family, and for some reason only the daughters-in-law bother to learn it (I guess to please the sons with cooking just like mom's?). My dad's family originally came from Fukien.

I remember back when mom used natural sausage casings, she had to wash the intestines in vinegar, inflate them, then dry them outside on a clothesline. They were quite a sight! :blink:

Ken

Good point, but this hamster is indestructible and can escape from anything . Last time she gnawed through the water main.

Oh dear. Maybe you shouldn't let that hamster out of its cage.

We don't. It gets out by itself, no matter what precautions.