• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Percyn - Food, Wine and Intercourse..(PA that is)

percyn

Could you elaborate a bit more (or point me to a post) about the 1/2 and 1/2 and cream cheese method for eggs?

Many a breakfast of yours has inspired a lunch or dinner here.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The last dish I wanted to make for you was a

Flourless, Molten Lava Chocolate Cake (recipe for 2)

Melt 1/3 lb semi-sweet chocolate (place chips in a microwave for 1 min)

gallery_21049_1827_26139.jpg

Make a ganache by adding some cream and heating to incorporate until chocolate is shinny.

gallery_21049_1827_91770.jpg

Whip 3 egg yolks with 2 tbsp sugar until sugar dissolves. Add eggs to warm (but not too hot) chocolate ganache and incorporate.

Butter 2 ramekins and fill with mixture.

Bake in 350F oven for 11-14 minutes. Edges should start to form, but center still soft.

Remove from ramekin carefully by running a paring knife along the edge and serve (you can use a touch of flour to dust the ramekins if you want to cheat).

gallery_21049_1827_75750.jpg

gallery_21049_1827_55178.jpg

Goes well with ice-cream

gallery_21049_1827_33679.jpg

Port

gallery_21049_1827_32860.jpg

Or Cognac

gallery_21049_162_1103331619.jpg

P.S: Evidence of my weird taste - Shola (StudioKitchen chef), Philadining and myself were discussing pairing of cerely and fennel ice cream with chocolate. I was planning on making that ice cream, but ran out of time. I will try this pairing and repost back in the Dinner! forum.

Edited by percyn (log)

Could you elaborate a bit more (or point me to a post) about the 1/2 and 1/2 and cream cheese method for eggs?

Many a breakfast of yours has inspired a lunch or dinner here.

Quite easy actually...

Heat a small frying pan with some butter or oil. Add 3-4 tbsp 1/2 and 1/2 and 1 tbsp cream cheese. Simmer on low heat until cream cheese melts and the cream starts to foam. Scramble in 2-3 eggs. Voila

Percy, I'm wondering if PA Amish food differs much from what we saw/tried when we lived near Amish country in Ohio.  I'd had a romantic notion of old fashioned whole foods type baking and preserving, and was shocked to find, in Amish stores, that it was mainly mixes, hydrogenated fats, bleached flours, and artificial flavors.  Very disillusioning!  What's the situation in PA?

I am so making that akoori!

The smaller Amish places I have seen do not seem to make their baked goods with store bought ingredients (I could be wrong) as the flavor is a bit different (richer) and if you leave it out a more than 2 days in summer, it gets spoiled, which means no preservatives.

And now, the end is here

And so I face the final curtain..

Regrets, I've had a few

But then again, too few to mention….. :wink:

This past week, though seemingly hectic, has breezed by.

There are many more things I would have liked to share with you, but alas that would need to be done in another forum or venue.

In Susan's preceeding blog, she started out with a picture of an amazingly beautiful sunrise. Not being much of a morning person, Peanut and I bid you adieu with this glorious PA sunset.

gallery_21049_1827_67489.jpg

Oh….and one last tradition that needs to be respected.

BTW, would you belive me if I told you she was born on April Fool's day?

gallery_21049_1827_27170.jpg

gallery_21049_1827_11757.jpg

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers for my Aunt, she is feeling better and hopefully on her way to a speedy recovery.

See you all around

Percy (or “Person” if that makes you feel better )

Susan,

I did go to the Victory Brewing company, but unfortunately they were not open to the public at that time. I promise I will follow up by creating a thread on them and email you when done, OK?

gallery_21049_1827_81224.jpg

Sorry

Percy

Ahhh... The entrance to the home of my all time favorite beer. Thank you so much, Percy! It's good just seeing that picture, and I look forward to the spin-off thread on Victory Brewing Co.! And thank you as well for the entire blog. It was wonderful.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Mysore Masala - Rice and lentil crepe stuffed with spiced onion potatoes. A Mysore masala is like a masala dosa, but sprinkled on the inside with dry sambar(?) spices, which makes it a spicier version.

gallery_21049_1827_2670.jpg

I love Mysore Rava Masala Dosas, as they're called at my favorite local South Indian vegetarian restaurant, and I love that interior photo!

Percy, you've really set a new standard for enticing photos in a foodblog. Thank you for entertaining us for the last week, and I'm glad to hear your aunt is on the mend!

Michael aka "Pan"

Thank you Percy for a wonderful blog. I was away for most of last week and this was a great way to ease back into a new week. I glad to hear you aunt is on the road to recovery.

What was that kinfe you used to cut the tuna a few pages back?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

This was great fun and I hope you will continue to post some Parsi recipes. One doesn't see a lot about that cuisine.

I confess I hadn't expected to enjoy the Reading Terminal tour as much as I did since I'm there nearly every week, but I stride purposefully to some regular destinations, in and out as fast as possible and on to the next errand! It's my substitute for the supermarket.

Hope your aunt is doing well.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Thanks for sharing a special week with us--great food, stunning variety and documented in such a beautiful way. I enjoyed everythng but especially the Amish lunch, the Parsi food and your adorable kitty! I'm glad to hear that your aunt is doing better as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"