• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Percyn - Food, Wine and Intercourse..(PA that is)

percyn

I had the very rare good fortune to attend a Parsi feast, when a co-worker invited me to the Navjote Mubarak (have I got that right? of her two children. The ceremony itself was fascinating, as was the opportunity to learn about Zoroastrianism.

But, oh the food! Rivers, oceans of exotic, delicious fabulous food. (And very large ponds of Johnny Walker Black!) I eagerly await anything you can share about your culinary traditition. That was one heck of a party!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Percy, very happy to see you blogging! Folks, those of you who don't frequent the dinner and breakfast threads have to look through some of their pages to see Percy's amazing creations.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see some Parsi food and a breakfast blowout. As for the rest, I trust you to post things that are fascinating and beautiful.

Michael aka "Pan"

I have been looking forward to this! Go Percyn!

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

* Lunch at an Amish restaurant

* Visit to an Amish farm

* Tour of Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market

* Philly Cheesesteak Kings

* Breakfast Bonanza

* Special "Parsi dishes" like Dhansak or Sali Gosht or Machi (Fish) nu Sauce

* Typical Indian dishes like Tandoori or Goan Curry Rice

* Other food topics of your choice (please specify)

Oooooh! Love the Pennsylvania Dutch Country, and their food! Love Indian food! Always up for seeing the innards of any major food market. Always up for learning more about the cuisine of a culture I'm not yet familiar with (although I had at least heard of Zoroastrianism before). Heck, all the above choices sound lovely.

And also--love that cute little kitty! (The photo of your deck where she's serenely enthroned in its exact center just cracks me up--so typically cat-like.)

Pan, ....shh....you are raising the bar too high  :hmmm:  :sad:

Don't sell yourself short. I wouldn't have written what I did if I wasn't sure you merited my confidence. But if it makes you feel better, even if your photos in this blog suck, I'll still like it. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I am so jealous; your wine cooler is gorgeous - who makes it? When we move, this will definitely go on my list.

My vote is for Parsi, Amish and, oh I don't care - they all sound great! We live near the Amish community in S MD and I frequent the Amish market all summer. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the produce.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Great to see you blogging, your photos are always hunger inducing.

My votes go for parsi food (please include whatever info and/or links you feel cofortable with that go into the culture, please, please please), and Amish lunch and anything else you would care to regale us with.

Oh, and Peanut looks much more manageable than my 27 lb master of the house - he even bosses the dogs around!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Judging from previous blogs, I guess I am supposed to add the obligatory pictures of kitchen, etc, so here goes...

gallery_21049_1827_475036.jpg

Your cabinets are the ones we had in our big remodeled kitchen in Delaware, or at least they look just like them (except some of ours had the glass fronts)! Are they QuakerMaid?

Love your deck, of course, and your Man's Room and wine cooler, too... All of it looks beautiful.

I lived in Media for three years and.....

Speaking of Media, Percy and/or Kathy, is the Towne House restaurant still in Media? It was owned by a relative of my father's years ago. I have no idea if it is still in the family or even still there.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have been shopping at Wegmans for the past 6-7 years or so, ever since they opened their store in Princeton, NJ, where we used to live.

While I still visit the farmers market almost every weekend when it is open, I find that Wegmans has a good variety of high quality products.

I appologize in advance for the quality of these pics, as I was not aware of Wegman's policy on taking pictures in the store and did not want to be banned from the store :biggrin:

Towards the right is the bakery with brick oven, center is a sushi bar and on the far left is hot food that their chef's prepare everyday.

gallery_21049_1827_49280.jpg

Clearer view of the brick oven

gallery_21049_1827_25766.jpg

Got a little Caramel apple cider frappe freeze as a late afternoon pick-me-up

gallery_21049_1827_15873.jpg

A variety of mushrooms, which you may see appear in the blog, but unfortunately, they were out of truffles, which I was planning to use in dinner today....oh well, change the menu on the fly..

gallery_21049_1827_3438.jpg

This is only a very small sampling of their cheese and caviar selection. I remember being at a fromagerie in Paris last year and recognized many of the cheese selections from Wegmans :laugh:

gallery_21049_1827_167189.jpg

A decent size International section

gallery_21049_1827_117370.jpg

And my favorite...the little D'Artagnan section, which is where the ingredients for tonights dinner came from

gallery_21049_1827_142060.jpg

Some fresh baked bagels which you will see me consume

gallery_21049_1827_8373.jpg

Great meat and fish selection

gallery_21049_1827_102821.jpg

Including these bad boys, which were larger than a baby's arm

gallery_21049_1827_71400.jpg

Also bought some Parisian bread and truffle cheese

gallery_21049_1827_76990.jpg

OK, should be set for a few days....now on to the cooking...

Percy, I am so glad you're doing this. And it reinforces that which I already knew - you're a true and passionately dedicated foodie (as well as a gracious and charming dining companion) and a very interesting person.

Blog on, my friend. This is going to be fascinating...

Love the kitty! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

On to making dinner.

The menu tonight features duck 2 ways - Foie Gras with fig reduction and Duck breast salad. (I was going to make it Duck 3 ways by adding a duck leg confit served on lentils, but got all ducked out :hmmm: ).

Get knives ready (my current favorite is the Japanese Kershaw Shun 8" Chef knife on the top. The bottom one is a Wusthof Trident 8" Chef's knife)

gallery_21049_1827_86463.jpg

Score the Foie Gras

gallery_21049_1827_75420.jpg

Sear in hot copper frying pan (see the smoke?)

gallery_21049_1827_20459.jpg

Remove foie, sear fresh figs (purchased at farmers market over the weekend), deglace with ice wine

gallery_21049_1827_106370.jpg

Toast a slice of the Parisian bread, top with some spring greens or firsee, foie and fleur de sel

gallery_21049_1827_18107.jpg

Drizzle with some of the melted foie and fig reduction and serve with ice wine

gallery_21049_1827_19102.jpg

Look who came running for some foie

gallery_21049_1827_62049.jpg

For the main course...a nice healthy (err...yeah... :wacko::rolleyes: ) salad

Score the duck breast and sear

gallery_21049_1827_41976.jpg

Chop up some fennel (I know it sounds crazy, but I warned you about my weird tastes)

gallery_21049_1827_100595.jpg

Finish the duck breast and fennel in a 350F oven

gallery_21049_1827_122975.jpg

Make a vinaigrette with the rendered duck fat and some truffle oil

gallery_21049_1827_7238.jpg

Let the duck breast rest and slice

gallery_21049_1827_8548.jpg

Dress lettuce, top with duck breast and serve

gallery_21049_1827_60299.jpg

Optionally serve with diced raw fennel and crouton made by toasting a slice of bread and dipping it in the rendered foie fat

gallery_21049_1827_842.jpg

You see what I mean by "ducked out"? I was too full and tired to roast the duck leg confit...perhaps one day this week.

I am so jealous; your wine cooler is gorgeous - who makes it?  When we move, this will definitely go on my list.

Thanks, I bought it over the Internet from some company in Canada a few years ago. Works great and is cheaper than the $5000 ones in Wine catalogs.

I still have a few cases of wine stored in my basement. Most of the other loose bottles are in here or in a smaller cooler in the kitchen. I am thinking about buying a second one or a larger one as this is full, despite my best attempts to keep it empty :biggrin:

Your cabinets are the ones we had in our big remodeled kitchen in Delaware, or at least they look just like them (except some of ours had the glass fronts)!  Are they QuakerMaid?

Love your deck, of course, and your Man's Room and wine cooler, too...  All of it looks beautiful.

Thanks Susan :wub:

I have no idea who the cabinets maker is. Unfortunately, I bought this house when it was 1 yr old, otherwise I would have worked with the architect and builder to put in a lot more features, especially a gas stove. Since everything is less than 5 yrs old, I would feel guilty were I to rip everything out and replace it (though I have done that on a few items).

Speaking of Media, Percy and/or Kathy, is the Towne House restaurant still in Media? It was owned by a relative of my father's years ago. I have no idea if it is still in the family or even still there.

I am not familiar with that restaurant or to be honest that area in general. However, I found this via a google search. http://www.townehouse.com/

Edited by percyn (log)

You see what I mean by "ducked out"? I was too full and tired to roast the duck leg confit...perhaps one day this week.

My goodness! I'm tired just thinking about that post. Bravo!

What wine did you serve with that meal, Percyn?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks Chris.

I served a 2000 Siegerrebe Beerenauslese (German Icewine style) with the foie. I was about to open a Pinot Noir for the duck salad, but decided against it...saving it for tomorrow...

gallery_21049_1827_65741.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

Thanks Chris.

I served a 2000 Siegerrebe Beerenauslese (German Icewine style) with the foie. I was about to open a Pinot Noir for the duck salad, but decided against it...saving it for tomorrow...

Icewine, Eiswein - however you spell it - YUM!!!! :biggrin: Gorgeous duck, Percy. Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

There's the duck, where's  the eggs?  :biggrin:  Looks spectacular.

Patience my friend :biggrin:

[slight offtopic]

BTW, for those watching the season premier of "The Amazing Race" on CBS, the episode was shot in my back yard, so to speak....what timing, to correspond with the premier of the blog :laugh:

[/slight offtopic]