• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
hzrt8w

Pictorial: Fried Stuffed Puff Tofu (Fish Cake)

Fried Fish Cake with Puff Tofu (煎酿豆腐浦)

Fish cakes (fish paste) are made by grinding fish meat. They are sold in most Asian grocery markets. Puff tofus are deep-fried tofu with many air bubble trapped inside. They are very light and puffy.

gallery_19795_1829_21479.jpg

Here are the main ingredients. To enhance the taste of fish cakes (top center, about 1 lb), I used some dried shrimp (middle right) - presoaked in water for about 30 minutes, dried black mushroom (middle left) - presoaked in water for a couple of hours, and some cilantro (not shown). At the bottom center are some puff tofus. Use 1 to 1 1/2 bag (each bag contains about 12 puff tofus).

gallery_19795_1829_24869.jpg

Dice the black mushrooms into small pieces. Drain the dried shrimps after soaking. Finely chop some cilantro.

gallery_19795_1829_19284.jpg

Use a mixing bowl. Add the fish paste. Add the dice black mushrooms, dried shrimp and chopped cilantro. To enhance the flavor, I added about 2 tsp of sesame oil, and 1 tsp of ground white pepper.

gallery_19795_1829_2879.jpg

Mix all the ingredients and seasoning.

gallery_19795_1829_12158.jpg

Cut each puff tofu into two halves.

gallery_19795_1829_2828.jpg

Use your thumb to depress a cavity in the center of the puff tofu. Use a spoon to stuff the fish paste mixture onto the puff tofu.

gallery_19795_1829_25233.jpg

Continue to stuff the puff tofu until fish paste is all used.

gallery_19795_1829_15636.jpg

Heat up a pan/wok over medium fire. Add some cooking oil. Fry the stuffed puff tofo (with the stuffing side down) until the fish paste has turned brown. Check by flipping over each puff tofu. Remove when done.

gallery_19795_1829_621.jpg

Lay the cooked stuffed puff tofu on the serving plate, with stuffing side up.

gallery_19795_1829_20025.jpg

The sauce is very simple. Here are the ingredients: garlic (mince it), salt (not shown), white vinegar, oyester sauce, chicken broth, dark soy sauce, sugar (not shown) and corn starch (not shown).

gallery_19795_1829_15259.jpg

Use the same pan/wok, add 1 tblsp of cooking oil. Add minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 20 seconds. Dash in 1 tsp of white vinegar. Add 1 to 2 cups of chicken broth. Add 2 tblsp of oyster sauce. Add 1 tblsp of dark soy sauce. Add 2 tsp of sugar. Bring to a boil. Use 3 tsp of corn starch, dissolve in water, gradually add to the pan. Keep stirring. Add enough corn starch slurry until the sauce has thicken to the right consistency.

gallery_19795_1829_15253.jpg

Pour the sauce on top of the stuffed tofu. Finished. 1 lb of fish paste yields about 30 to 40 stuffed puff tofu.

Variations

You may use the same basic technique to stuff other ingredients. Examples are: red/green bell peppers, anaheim peppers, egg plants, firm tofu, geet gwa, etc..

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Looks delicious-black mushrooms can be soaked very quickly in the microwave with excellent results if time is short.

Looks as if you can get fish paste more easily than us. Either my mom makes it for me or I buy mine from my organic produce supplier, preservative-free; they make it fresh every morning. I've only made it once or twice from scratch due to the fact that we can't make it to the market early enough to get very fresh fish....or rather DH (he does the marketing). Best to go before 7 am.

BTW, I cut my tofu diagonally...greater surface area to pack in more filling. :rolleyes:

How long does it take you guys to polish off 30-40 yeong dau foos? :biggrin: Tks for the demo.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I have never made these with fish paste, but do make them with a mixture of ground pork, chopped shrimp, minced ginger and cilantro.

Sometimes, I omit the sauce and we just dip the triangles in hot sauce.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

How long does it take you guys to polish off 30-40 yeong dau foos?  :biggrin: Tks for the demo.

To "polish off"? Like shine it with some sesame oil? :laugh::laugh:

We devoured 41.32% of the dish last night for dinner. We had another 39.16% of the dish as lunch today between my wife and me. That leaves 19.52% still in the fridge for any-time snacks... :laugh::laugh:

Has anybody tried to stuff fish paste on firm tofu? I have not been successful cooking it. The fish paste always separates from the tofu (because the tofu edges are so smooth). What is the trick that would make the fish paste stick to the tofu surface?

Thanks for this demo, hzrt8w. This dish was not even on my radar screen until this thread--although it does remind me of Thai shrimp toast type dishes. It sounds like it would be incredibly savory and tasty; I must try it sometime.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How long does it take you guys to polish off 30-40 yeong dau foos?  :biggrin: Tks for the demo.

Has anybody tried to stuff fish paste on firm tofu? I have not been successful cooking it. The fish paste always separates from the tofu (because the tofu edges are so smooth). What is the trick that would make the fish paste stick to the tofu surface?

Try dustin g the inside of the tofu with cornstarch. That's a suggestion from some book about stuffing mushrooms.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

another wonderful recipe!!

and all of the ingredients are popular ingredients in Japan as well. I have often seen a similar dish with ground pork like Dejah mentioned, but I really like the idea of fish paste.

I was served a somewhat similar dish at a friend's house last week, ground chicken was seasoned in a similar way, then soft tofu was cut into blocks with the center shallowly (is tis a word? :hmmm: ) cut out. The chicken mixture was then formed into a somewhat ball like shape and placed into the depression. Finally they were placed into small cups (like tea cups) and steamed. For serving they were drizzled with a Japanese ponzu (citrusy-soy sauce). These were really good and probaly could be made with any mixture .

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Dejah's cornstarch tip works - we make similar things in Japan with firm deepfried tofu. The "puff" type here is made with various ingredients added to the tofu, so I don't believe I've ever seen them slashed open and stuffed.

...... The chicken mixture  was then formed into a somewhat ball like shape and placed into the depression. Finally they were placed into small cups (like tea cups) and steamed. For serving they were drizzled with a Japanese ponzu (citrusy-soy sauce). These were really good and probaly could be made with any mixture .

Fish paste can be steamed, definitely. I am planning on making another dish that mixes fish paste and tofu and steamed. I like fish paste that is fried more - the caramelized taste is irresistable. :smile:

I am not happy with the quality of fish paste in the store so I stuff eggplant, tofu, and green pepper with a pork mixture.

I have tried stuffing fish paste on fried firm tofu by cutting the square piece of tofu into two triangles. Cut a slit into the tofu and stuff it with the paste, if it is still not sticking then dust the paste with a bit of corn starch.

I have tried stuffing fish paste on fried firm tofu by cutting the square piece of tofu into two triangles. Cut a slit into the tofu and stuff it with the paste, if it is still not sticking then dust the paste with a bit of corn starch.

Yuki: (1) Do you cut the slit along the long edge of the tofu, or across the long edge of the tofu? (2) Do you use corn starch to dust the tofu, or to dust the fish paste?

Yuki: (1) Do you cut the slit along the long edge of the tofu, or across the long edge of the tofu? (2) Do you use corn starch to dust the tofu, or to dust the fish paste?

Myself, I dust the inside of the tofu or gua. This acts as "contact glue" between the filling and the cavity. I think if you dust the filling, it would meld into the filling quickly, thus changing the texture rather than acting as glue. Besides, kind of tedious to dust each spoonful before placing it into the tofu?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I cut the slit along the surface of the hypotenuse(the longest side of the triangle). I usually have no trouble sticking the paste into the tofu, but corn starch on the tofu would help it stick better. Other than just stuffing the paste into the tofu, try spreading some on the surface of the hypotenuse(this is because you can't stuff much into the hard tofu, so if you want more paste, then you have to spread some on the tofu).

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Chocolatemelter
      Hey everyone.

So im looking for the most affordable chocolate shaking table that actually works.. does anyone have experience with the ones from AliBaba or china in general?

i bought a $100 dental table from amazon but i guess its not the right hrtz cause it kinda works, but not well enough.

im looking in the $500 range or under.. any advice? Thanks
    • By ResearchBunny
      Posted 6 hours ago Dear EGulleters,
      ResearchBunny here. I've just found you today. I've been lolling in bed with a bad cold, lost voice, wads of tissues, pillows, bedding around me. I spent all of yesterday binge-watching Season 2 of Zumbo's Just Desserts on Netflix from beginning to grand finale. I have been a hardcore devotee of Rose Levy Beranbaum since the beginning of my baking passion -- after learning that she wrote her master's thesis comparing the textural differences in cake crumb when using bleached versus unbleached flour. I sit up and pay attention to that level of serious and precision! While Beranbaum did study for a short while at a French pastry school, she hasn't taken on the challenge of writing recipes for entremets style cakes. That is, multi-layer desserts with cake, mousse, gelatin, nougatine or dacquoise layers all embedded in one form embellished with ice cream, granita, chocolate, coulis. After watching hours of the Zumbo contest, I became curious about the experience of designing these cakes. Some of the offered desserts struck me as far too busy, others were delightful combinations. I was surprised that a few contestants were eliminated when their offerings were considered too simple or, too sophisticated. So I'd like to hear from you about your suggestions for learning more about how to make entremets. And also, what you think about the show. And/or Zumbo.
      Many thanks.
      RB
      ps. The show sparked a fantasy entremet for my cold. Consider a fluffy matzo ball exterior, with interior layers of carrot, celery, a chicken mince, and a gelatin of dilled chicken broth at its heart!
    • By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.

First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years. Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.  So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency. If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat. And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also, the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu. Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!

Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By liuzhou
      I know a few people here know her already, but for those that don't, she is simply the best creator of Chinese food and rural life videos. It's not what you will find in your local Bamboo Hut! It's what Chinese people eat!

Here is her latest, posted today. This is what all my neighbours are doing right now in preparation for Spring Festival (Chinese New Year to the Lantern Festival 15 days later), although few are doing it as elegantly as she does!

Everything she posts is worth watching if you have any interest in food.

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,