• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Cookbooks

hjshorter

OK, I bought Desserts for Dummies, and checked out in the Sweet Kitchen from the library. The Daley book is half encyclopedia, so I haven't been able to spend much time with it. The Dummies book looks useful; not too may recipes, but basics with clear instructions.

I'm going to pick a project for this weekend. Any suggestions?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

As if you don't have enough suggestions  already I'd like to add two  more .The Art Of Baking  by Paula  Peck.  This may be out of print, but it's worth looking for.She was a disciple of James Beard and wrote two books, The Art of

Cooking and the above.  Both are excellent. Also I am partial  to Desserts by

Nancy Silverton.The recipes can be complicated but they always work well. A really excellent linzer torte recipe in the book and her cookie recipes are well worth the price of the book.

I second The Art of Fine Baking. No pretty pictures, but a wealth of sound practical advice, and some excellent recipes.

OK, I bought Desserts for Dummies, and checked out in the Sweet Kitchen from the library.  The Daley book is half encyclopedia, so I haven't been able to spend much time with it.  The Dummies book looks useful; not too may recipes, but basics with clear instructions. 

I'm going to pick a project for this weekend.  Any suggestions?

Heather-- have you decided what you will be making. You've inspired me to tackle a "project" this weekend. I think I am going to make a tart--or at least fiddle with the crust.

How about olive bread? Brioche? Madelines?

OK, I bought Desserts for Dummies, and checked out in the Sweet Kitchen from the library.  The Daley book is half encyclopedia, so I haven't been able to spend much time with it.  The Dummies book looks useful; not too may recipes, but basics with clear instructions. 

I'm going to pick a project for this weekend.  Any suggestions?

I have Daley's book and really like it.

Her chocolate stuff is wonderful, especially the brownies, chocolate chip cookies and the French mousse and truffles.

Her blueberry muffins are also worth making.

The only thing I didn't care for was her chocolate-espresso biscotti.

Maybe I will take on a project this weekend as well.

Maybe a tart of some kind................

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 years later...

Just had a birthday...........and when friends and family ask what do I want...I say cookbooks. So, to make it easier on them, and to add to my collection.... I go to Amazon and look for what I don't have, and make a list. Beats getting something that you don't want and will never use.

There are some books out there, that I wasn't sure about (Medrich) and never purchased on my own. Anyways, I received.....

Maida Heatter's- Cakes

Alice Medrich- Bitterweet

Payard- Simply Sensational Desserts

Anyone bake anything interesting from these?

Edited by mignardise (log)

Payard's Sweet Tart Dough is my go-to. I also love the apricot tea cakes and the coconut-pineapple tart. I've actually made a lot of items from this book and have never been disappointed.

This is a thread discussing the Medrich book.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

i don't have the alice medrich book yet, but it's on my wish list. i got it from the library when it came out & kept it so long, that i could have probably bought a new one with the library fines :-) i can remember that there was lots of useful information about chocolate varieties & subsitutions.

Payard's Sweet Tart Dough is my go-to.  I also love the apricot tea cakes and the coconut-pineapple tart. 

I tried the coconut-pineapple tart and it seemed to me (and to the wife as well) that there was not enough pineapple in it. Though I agree that the crust was very good. And other things I have made from that book (only a few though, so far) have been good.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science