• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum in Seattle

Here's a recent update on Noble Court:

Establishment: Noble Court Restaurant

Address 1644 - 140th Ave NE, Bellevue

Date closed: December 21, 2006, 3:30 PM

Reason: Potentially hazardous foods at unsafe temperatures

Improper cooling of potentially hazardous foods

Failure to correct repeat violations

Storing food in rat and roach infested areas

Date re-opened: .

It's from an email update I received. Here's the link: http://www.metrokc.gov/health/foodsfty/res...antclosures.htm

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

• 5 months later...

I am taking friends for (weekday) Dim Sum and shopping downtown ..it has been a few months since I have gone and wondered if there was anything new and exciting I needed to know?

bump!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

O'Asian is actually quite good, the price point is just a bit higher than you would normally expect for dim sum. The space is very nice though and is closer to the retail core than the ID which is part of why the prices are higher, it's a very expensive space.

Rocky

• 7 months later...

bumping again for a good tip on Dim Sum this next coming month in Seattle... ..I know folks are not thrilled with Kowloon but the parking is so easy and this will include some older family members who have trouble walking .. is Kowloon enjoyed by folks now? (I liked it actually when I ate there a couple of years ago) .. or where would you take a great big family for a birthday dim sum ..they know how to order ...enjoy a wide variety...price does not really matter if it is good... love cart service and good parking ...wow I am asking a lot huh?

help please

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

bumping again for a good tip on Dim Sum this next coming month in Seattle... ..I know folks are not thrilled with Kowloon but the parking is so easy and this will include some older family members who have trouble walking .. is Kowloon enjoyed by folks now?  (I liked it actually when I ate there a couple of years ago) .. or where would you take a great big family for a birthday dim sum ..they know how to order ...enjoy a wide variety...price does not really matter if it is good... love cart service and good parking ...wow I am asking a lot huh?

help please

I would suggest Tea Garden, on Rainier, just south of Jackson. It has a parking lot, and at least last time I went there the dim sum was good, comparable to Jade Garden.

Unfortunately I haven't had any dim sum in four months - I've been out of the country. Anything new on the dim sum front in Seattle? I need to get back into action!

Thanks I love Jade Garden but it is hard to park there that is for sure and these folks need "easy"

I will check out Tea Garden I have not been there

it has been a while for me as well ..

Piglet 

bumping again for a good tip on Dim Sum this next coming month in Seattle... ..I know folks are not thrilled with Kowloon but the parking is so easy and this will include some older family members who have trouble walking .. is Kowloon enjoyed by folks now?  (I liked it actually when I ate there a couple of years ago) .. or where would you take a great big family for a birthday dim sum ..they know how to order ...enjoy a wide variety...price does not really matter if it is good... love cart service and good parking ...wow I am asking a lot huh?

help please

I assume by Kowloon you speak of new Kowloon on Jackson, which I have to tell you, as I understand is now closed. I like Tea Garden okay, though we had what can only be described as inedible chinese broccoli there the other day. When I need a place with parking I tend to go to Sun Ya. Nothing special, but won't ever be inedible either...

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

Thanks I love Jade Garden but it is hard to park there that is for sure and these folks need "easy"

O'Asian has free and easy parking in the garage underneath. My friends and I have enjoyed our dim sum visits here, though not quite to the Yank Sing level!

O'Asian has free and easy parking in the garage underneath. My friends and I have enjoyed our dim sum visits here, though not quite to the Yank Sing level!

where is O'Asian please?

Piglet 

where is O'Asian please?

Behold the power of Google: web site, map

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 3 months later...

I tried Jade Garden again with several members of my family a few weeks ago. We really enjoyed it. On the recommendation of egulleteers, I ordered some honey walnut prawns--that was the best thing ever! They were crunchy and sweet, with the perfect shrimpy taste when bit into. Next time we'll order more than one dish to share. I also dared to try chicken feet. They didn't have much meat on them, but it was worth trying for the look on the waitress' face when I ordered them--her eyes widened, and she smiled and laughed. I think I got some points just for trying them. It was also great to gross out some of the people at the table (not blood relatives) who thought they were scary. Ooh, look--fingers!

I ate at a random dim sum place in Portland since my daughter there wasn't able to go with us in Seattle, and the food was twice as expensive and half as good. So I appreciated Jade Garden even more.

With the visit of the Dalai Lama in Seattle on the same day, and a very unexpected temperature spike to 84 degrees, we were pleasantly surprised to be able to get a table with no waiting. We didn't go in until almost 2, which probably helped.

O'Asian has free and easy parking in the garage underneath.  My friends and I have enjoyed our dim sum visits here, though not quite to the Yank Sing level!

Just a warning: while I think O-Asian makes the best Turnip Cakes ever seen on this earth :wub: and thought the rest of the dishes were very good as well, the prices are truly astronomical for DimSum. I think we paid $40/person. Granted we ordered everything under the sun, but we always do that & I don't think I've ever paid more than $20/person in a regular DimSum joint (we paid $10/each at Jade garden today)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

O'Asian has free and easy parking in the garage underneath.  My friends and I have enjoyed our dim sum visits here, though not quite to the Yank Sing level!

Just a warning: while I think O-Asian makes the best Turnip Cakes ever seen on this earth :wub: and thought the rest of the dishes were very good as well, the prices are truly astronomical for DimSum. I think we paid $40/person. Granted we ordered everything under the sun, but we always do that & I don't think I've ever paid more than $20/person in a regular DimSum joint (we paid $10/each at Jade garden today)

OMG $40/person is totally out of line for dim sum! that is for sure!

Piglet 

Eden, if you're referring to the lunch I think you are (posted over on mouthfulsfood.com), then looking back on the post for that dim sum at O'Asian, it came to $35.00 including tax and tip and someone posted that there were leftovers taken home. This is still quite expensive for dim sum, but I've gone there with a smaller group and paid less--I believe it was in the neighborhood of 20.00 -25.00 per person. Here's a link to their menu with prices. Note that the dishes are coded (S, M, L, C, D) and the prices are listed at the bottom of the menu. I've never seen a price list at the other places (except Monsoon), so I have no idea how individual items compare, but if one ordered lots of C and D's it would be easy to rack up quite a bill. Jade Garden is definitely a bargain. Just don't get seated up the stairs in the very back room where the carts don't come around too often.

I personally find that I love different things at different places. I love the turnip cakes at Monsoon, the shrimp and chive rice paper sesame cakes and custard tarts at Jade Garden, the chicken curry pastries at Purple Dot, and the har gow and soup dumplings at Tea Garden.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I go to O'Asian regularly and don't recall ever spending anywhere near $40/pp. Nevertheless, it's certainly more expensive than other dim sum places, but in addition to the most consistent quality around (IMO), you get free parking and usually no wait.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Eden, if you're referring to the lunch I think you are (posted over on mouthfulsfood.com), then looking back on the post for that dim sum at O'Asian, it came to $35.00 including tax and tip and someone posted that there were leftovers taken home. This is still quite expensive for dim sum, but I've gone there with a smaller group and paid less--I believe it was in the neighborhood of 20.00 -25.00 per person.  Here's a link to their menu with prices.

That's the meal in question. I must have rounded up in my little brain, sorry.

Nice to know you can get out for closer to $20 becaue I've been afraid to go back even though I loved some of the dishes...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...