• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airplane take-out? (Sea-Tac)

I'm flying out of Sea-Tac in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping that someone has a good suggestion or 2 for something a little tastier than Southwest's 'Snack' Service :unsure:

Staying on the Eastside (Bothell) before heading down but can, and will, easily stop anywhere between there and the airport for good food.

Angela

If you don't mind a quick (and easy) detour to SoDo, you can pick up a sandwich at Salumi... provided your flight is Tuesday through Friday. You're sure to inspire envious looks.

I'll check and see what time we have to be at the airport for a 1:50pm flight, but if we can squeeze it in, that would be just about perfect.

The new food court at Sea-Tac airport, focusing on food to take on the plane, is excellent and very reasonably priced. I was disappointed in the run-of-the-mill turkey sandwich I got at Kathy Casey's Dish Delish, but the Parma ham breakfast sandwich I got the following week, from Pallino, was super. None of this is the tired and hideously overpriced "airport food" that you suffer through at the Burbank, San Jose, etc., airports. It's much more like what you find in the nicer office and shopping complexes downtown. The Starbucks sandwiches are good too, even tho there's not much variety.

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

We 're not far from SeaTac (close enough to provide parking and taxi service for relatives and friends). There are a couple of close-by grocery stores that have some pretty fair deli food.

Larry's is north of the airport on 99 as couple of miles; south of there, about 2 miles on 99, is a Safeway. I see flight crews in both picking up their eats.

Depending on the time of your flight, there's a good Thai restaurant a about a mile north of the airport on 99 that does take-out food.

dave

I'm with Karen. Anything you can get at Pallino (airport or in town) will be good. Try the Pollo sandwich, take a cup of soup (the wedding soup and tuscan bread soup are both great) and all their paninis (sic) I have not had their breakfast sandwiches but if they are anything like their lunch time siblings they will be great.

Also, part of the deal those new restaurants at SeaTac had to agree to was that they would cook the same food, same quality, same prices they do in town. That gives us plenty of good choices.

Lastly, pick something without a lot of greasy smell. Many of us do not like eating on airplanes and the smell of greasy food just adds to the airsick possibilities.

Jim

The new food court at Sea-Tac airport, focusing on food to take on the plane, is excellent and very reasonably priced. I was disappointed in the run-of-the-mill turkey sandwich I got at Kathy Casey's Dish Delish, but the Parma ham breakfast sandwich I got the following week, from Pallino, was super. None of this is the tired and hideously overpriced "airport food" that you suffer through at the Burbank, San Jose, etc., airports. It's much more like what you find in the nicer office and shopping complexes downtown. The Starbucks sandwiches are good too, even tho there's not much variety.

Where is this new food court of which you speak? I've flown a couple of times in the last month, but I must have been flying out of the wrong terminal, as I haven't spotted it.

Waiting in various airports recently, I started wondering why more airports don't provide better options for food. I understand why there's a customer base that will always support McDonalds, etc, but I think there's room for a good vendor to do really well. Even if you look at big fast-food franchises, I'm mystified why more of the better ones aren't really present at airports. Think how well a Baja Fresh could do, for instance.

Where is this new food court of which you speak? I've flown a couple of times in the last month, but I must have been flying out of the wrong terminal, as I haven't spotted it.

Located in the "Central Terminal Pacific Marketplace" -- between concourse B and C. Here's a map.

When my husband was flying out of Seattle every 2 weeks for a couple of years, we very often picked up several bahn mi for him from Seattle Deli on 12th (near Jackson) in the International District.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.