• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating after work

taryn

Gyoza King - although they do run out of items in the last few hours.

the Bins - usually more drinking than eating, always see an old face or two

Nu - good combo of food and drink, everyone is checking them out lately

Wild Rice - very comfortable and quick eats

Edited by Cap'n Crunch (log)

Where do those of you in the restaurant biz eat after work? I've already looked at the late night eats thread and am looking for more options.

I'm always STARVING after work and hungry = grumpy. My boyfriend likes it when I'm well fed.

How late do you get off work though? Are we talking like 1am or like 9pm?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I finish anywhere from  10:30-11:30, then usually look for somewhere around 12ish. Our kitchen closes pretty early.

Ooh that is pretty late:

I (being asian) usually eat at places like #9 restaurant (landsdown mall, richmond) when I have the midnight munchies

Otherwise there is also the Vineyard on 4rth which I think is open to 3am (they used to be open 24 hours I think.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I know that the Vineyard is open until 6am on Fridays and Saturdays (which I guess is really Saturdays and Sundays), and that may be their hours everyday. I live two blocks away so I'll ask as I'm on my way to George tonight. They have an incredible wine list too. Chateau Palmer for $299?!?!? Too bad there is no food to match with it!

I always try to eat at work prior to the start of my shift. Thus fortified, I have the requisite energy and don't have to depend on Coca Cola to get me through to the final "Goodnight, and thanks very much."

However, there are a few places that I go to after writing, and some while writing. Bacchus has become my office on Mondays. If I give the waiter $20 he leaves me alone with a cappuccino for hours :laugh: . Seeing as I'm writing this from the back booth of the HSG, I can't leave Neil out. I just had a kickass ravioli here stuffed with porcini and chanterelle shrooms sauced with a goats cheese tomato cream - very nice Neil! Working wireless never tasted so good.

Once the laptop is stuffed away, I usually steer myself to either Chambar or Glowbal for a snack, but from what I hear Lolita's is now the late-night, post-shift venue of choice for reprobate industry types of the first order.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I (being asian) usually eat at places like #9 restaurant (landsdown mall, richmond) when I have the midnight munchies

There are some pretty awful dishes at No. 9, but you can never go wrong with the beef tendon. So meltingly soft. I also eat at Congee Noodle House. They're open until 3a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, I believe. Last call at 2:50 a.m.!

Gyoza King Yes they do run outta stuff by the time we get there, but it is fabulous, aint it !

Vera Burger the Davie one stay`s open late around the weekend.

Calhoun`s on broadway, for a cup of decaf and a post service debriefing with the lads. this place is what it is, which i kinda like. and its pretty chilled.

Chez דяÅПﻜFÅדדуÅ©ID™ now serving toasted ham and swiss sandwhiches

tt

OK, I'm back, and have some details. Vineyard is open until 4am every day but friday/saturday as stated.

I've found this great new place on Granville called SIP that is open with full kitchen until 2am every night. Food is good (especially for the hour) and all has booze in it (either cooked with, or sprayed on). Service is great too, as all staff were very happy to see me there even regarding the hour. It can be found on 1117 Granville St. and phone at 604.687.7474. Email @ ray@siplounge.com. I've talked to Ray and he is hoping for the industry crowd and has hinted that he may put curtains up and stay open later...but note that this is a hope not a reality as of yet. As it stands, full menu, and a willingness to stay open for industry with a half decent menu is a good, if not great, thing. Just tell them that Jamie from Lumiere sent you and I'm sure they will bend some rules. I myself was allowed to get a beer after hours, with asurances that I would pay and drink quickly. I only wish it was across the bridge.

My search for after work places continues...but perhaps I've found the spot?

Oh Yeah and don't forget Jang Mo Jib on Robson (across the street from Gyoza King).

Open till 5am on friday night and saturday night and pretty decent korean food!

Their seafood pancake is tastey as is their Stone Bowl rice mmm

The bayside lounge(denman and davie) has Nacho's that can feed 4 easily, order with the Beef, extra Jalapeno's, and chow down(run you around $18). Kitchen last call is at 12:45 even on Mondays. Plus the atmosphere is pretty kick'n for after work, a little chill, with a great old school layout.

Authenticity is all that matters.

Whilst looking for another thread entirely, I came across this query that I had actually made, back in March...

Seems to be along the same line..... cheers

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I've never tried it, but I've been told that Clove on Denman serves late.

I think that it may be open until 1 on weekends. Also in the area I think that Zakkushi Charcoal Grill might be open until 1 weekends but this is something I might have to investigate further.

James

Edited by jhiroshi (log)