• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One day in Philly

Gastro888

Hi y'all! This weekend, I'll be up in Philly participating in the annual dragon boat festival and will have one free day to experience the foodie joys of Philly.

So far on the list of foods, I've got my eye on Pat's and Gino's - gotta try their cheesesteaks and I've got a dim sum date on the menu as well.

I don't get up to Philly often and I wanted to ask what is the one (or 2 or 3) things that you'd recommend a fellow foodie do/eat while in Philly on a Sunday? We're going to have Saturday night free for dinner and I'm going to have most of Sunday free to explore the culinary delights of Philly. :laugh:

I'd really like to have some good gelato while I'm there but otherwise, I'm ignorant as to what I should experience in Philly.

If you could help a fellow foodie out, I'd very much appreciate it! Thanks!

Hi y'all!  This weekend, I'll be up in Philly participating in the annual dragon boat festival and will have one free day to experience the foodie joys of Philly.

So far on the list of foods, I've got my eye on Pat's and Gino's - gotta try their cheesesteaks and I've got a dim sum date on the menu as well. 

I don't get up to Philly often and I wanted to ask what is the one (or 2 or 3) things that you'd recommend a fellow foodie do/eat while in Philly on a Sunday?  We're going to have Saturday night free for dinner and I'm going to have most of Sunday free to explore the culinary delights of Philly.  :laugh:

I'd really like to have some good gelato while I'm there but otherwise, I'm ignorant as to what I should experience in Philly.

If you could help a fellow foodie out, I'd very much appreciate it!  Thanks!

As far as cheesestaeks, my favorite is Jim's on South Street. Better than Pat's and Geno's and offers great people watching as it's in the middle of the South Street circus. For something even more unique to Philly and less known outside of Philly is the roast pork sandwich. Here you have only 2 choices in my opinion, in center city the Reading Terminal has Dinic's Roast Pork with Greens (greens at Dinics is sauteed spinach) not sure if they are open on Sunday, or for the best sandwich in the country, try Tony Luke's on Oregaon Avenue close to the stadiums in South Philly.

Everyone here will agree that Capogiro will provide the best gelato available in these parts, and imo, outsode of Italy. It is located at:

Capogiro Gelateria

119 S 13th St

Philadelphia, PA 19107-4807

Phone: (215) 351-0900

For Saturday night dinner, too many places to list. What type of food do you most enjoy?

Hi y'all!  This weekend, I'll be up in Philly participating in the annual dragon boat festival and will have one free day to experience the foodie joys of Philly.

I don't get up to Philly often and I wanted to ask what is the one (or 2 or 3) things that you'd recommend a fellow foodie do/eat while in Philly on a Sunday?  We're going to have Saturday night free for dinner and I'm going to have most of Sunday free to explore the culinary delights of Philly.   :laugh:

Gelato: Definitely check out Capogiro (the link is to the eGullet thread about the place, but they also have a website; I just don't remember what it is offhand). Amazing flavor combinations -- my favorites being grapefruit and campari sorbetto and the Mexican chocolate gelato. It's at 13th and Sansom, for reference, and what might be fun is going to Lolita (a Mexican-influenced BYO across the street with fantastic, fresh-squeezed margarita mixes) for dinner Saturday night, and then having dessert at Capogiro. There's a state liquor store at 12th and Chestnut, for picking up tequila. Note: Lolita doesn't take reservations on Saturday nights, and it's somewhat small, but if you have to wait, you can go across the street and have a pre-dinner gelato. Or, have an expensive drink at El Vez, which is similar to Lolita food-wise, but has a full bar.

Cheesesteaks: I have never personally been that impressed by Pat's or Geno's, but I think the neon spectacle of Geno's is certainly worth seeing at least once. I actually prefer Tony Luke's (also in South Philly, I think at Front and Oregon) for cheesesteaks AND that true Philly sandwich, the roast pork Italian (tender roast pork, sharp provolone, spicy broccoli rabe, crusty roll. Perfection.) You should definitely check that out. And read through Holly's site for some other cheesesteak recommendations, as well as general good eats around town.

Dim sum: Don't know if you've already picked a place but my recent favorite has been Lakeside Chinese Deli (funny name, really fresh high quality food). They don't roll the dim sum around on carts like most other places, so you miss out on that aspect of the experience, but because the food is made to order it tends to be hotter, fresher, and better.

Since you'll be visiting on Sunday, the Reading Terminal Market will be closed -- otherwise I would definitely advise you to check it out. If you can squeeze in a brief visit on Saturday (they close at 6PM), I would still try and go. I don't know if the Italian Market is open on Sunday or not (my guess is yes) but I'd definitely visit...you'll be in the neighborhood when you hit up Pat's and Geno's, at any rate. There's lots of great Mexican and Vietnamese food in the same neighborhood, too, if that interests you.

The DiBruno Bros. store at 17th and Chestnut is a gastronomic paradise, full of cheeses and smoked meats and all sorts of other goodies. Great for a picnic or stocking up for the ride home.

If Mexican doesn't strike your fancy, there are a ton of other amazing BYOs you should check out for dinner Saturday night. I think the glut of BYOs here is a distinctive feature of the city, which is why I'm recommending them -- Marigold Kitchen, Melograno, Matyson, Pif, Radicchio...take your pick. There are threads about all of these restaurants on this board. Pick up one of the Chairman's Selection wines in a Wine & Spirits store; it will be a great bargain and I have yet to try one that I didn't like.

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy your stay in Philadelphia!

Edited: So Jeff and I obviously share the same mindset...sorry for the repetition; we were posting at the same time :)

Edited by Diann (log)

I don't get up to Philly often and I wanted to ask what is the one (or 2 or 3) things that you'd recommend a fellow foodie do/eat while in Philly on a Sunday?  We're going to have Saturday night free for dinner and I'm going to have most of Sunday free to explore the culinary delights of Philly.   :laugh:

Gelato: Definitely check out Capogiro (the link is to the eGullet thread about the place, but they also have a website; I just don't remember what it is offhand). Amazing flavor combinations -- my favorites being grapefruit and campari sorbetto and the Mexican chocolate gelato. It's at 13th and Sansom, for reference, and what might be fun is going to Lolita (a Mexican-influenced BYO across the street with fantastic, fresh-squeezed margarita mixes) for dinner Saturday night, and then having dessert at Capogiro. There's a state liquor store at 12th and Chestnut, for picking up tequila. Note: Lolita doesn't take reservations on Saturday nights, and it's somewhat small, but if you have to wait, you can go across the street and have a pre-dinner gelato. Or, have an expensive drink at El Vez, which is similar to Lolita food-wise, but has a full bar.

Cheesesteaks: I have never personally been that impressed by Pat's or Geno's, but I think the neon spectacle of Geno's is certainly worth seeing at least once. I actually prefer Tony Luke's (also in South Philly, I think at Front and Oregon) for cheesesteaks AND that true Philly sandwich, the roast pork Italian (tender roast pork, sharp provolone, spicy broccoli rabe, crusty roll. Perfection.) You should definitely check that out. And read through Holly's site for some other cheesesteak recommendations, as well as general good eats around town.

Dim sum: Don't know if you've already picked a place but my recent favorite has been Lakeside Chinese Deli (funny name, really fresh high quality food). They don't roll the dim sum around on carts like most other places, so you miss out on that aspect of the experience, but because the food is made to order it tends to be hotter, fresher, and better.

Since you'll be visiting on Sunday, the Reading Terminal Market will be closed -- otherwise I would definitely advise you to check it out. If you can squeeze in a brief visit on Saturday (they close at 6PM), I would still try and go. I don't know if the Italian Market is open on Sunday or not (my guess is yes) but I'd definitely visit...you'll be in the neighborhood when you hit up Pat's and Geno's, at any rate. There's lots of great Mexican and Vietnamese food in the same neighborhood, too, if that interests you.

The DiBruno Bros. store at 17th and Chestnut is a gastronomic paradise, full of cheeses and smoked meats and all sorts of other goodies. Great for a picnic or stocking up for the ride home.

If Mexican doesn't strike your fancy, there are a ton of other amazing BYOs you should check out for dinner Saturday night. I think the glut of BYOs here is a distinctive feature of the city, which is why I'm recommending them -- Marigold Kitchen, Melograno, Matyson, Pif, Radicchio...take your pick. There are threads about all of these restaurants on this board. Pick up one of the Chairman's Selection wines in a Wine & Spirits store; it will be a great bargain and I have yet to try one that I didn't like.

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy your stay in Philadelphia!

Edited: So Jeff and I obviously share the same mindset...sorry for the repetition; we were posting at the same time :)

Thanks Diann, I left out the best part of the Tony Luke sandwich, broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. We are of the same mind here!

Jeff

Oh wow, roast pork sandwich, eh? Definitely will try that.

I'm down for anything. Thanks for the suggestions!

As for the Saturday night dinner, we'd like to keep it between 20-30 USD per person for some good dining. We're not into decor, we're definitely into food - any good Italian recommendations? I'm sure the Italian up in Philly is different than in DC with the large Italian population in the city.

Edited to add: Is the roast pork sandwich like porcetta in Florence? Will there be cracklin's in the sandwich? Oooh, I hope so...

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Thanks Jeff!

Italian: the BYOs help keep the total tab down. There is AMAZING Italian food to be had in Philadelphia. I'm from the Bay Area, originally, and (this may be controversial...it's just my opinion) I think Philly is a better food city than San Francisco. There, I said it. For incredibly authentic Italian, I like Radicchio in Old City. As a caveat, it tends to get noisy, and crowded...

Also good: Melograno and Caffe Casta Diva in the western part of Center City, and Tre Scalini/L'Angolo in South Philly. All of these places are small so they fill up quickly; Melograno does not take reservations. Bring a good bottle of wine (or two or three) and enjoy!

Oh wow, roast pork sandwich, eh?  Definitely will try that.

Edited to add:  Is the roast pork sandwich like porcetta in Florence?  Will there be cracklin's in the sandwich?  Oooh, I hope so...

Tony Luke's roast pork is wonderful. But it's nothing like porchetta: not worse, just different. (Oddly, the 'roast pork Italian', with greens and cheese, is less Italian than the plain version.) And-- I hate to be the one to say this-- it's closed on Sunday; sorry. (I seem to remember a thread this summer on where to get roast pork on Sunday, but I can't remember the answer.)

With that caveat, Diann's recommendations are ace. Other Sunday options include Rangoon (Burmese, and one of my top three or so favorite restaurants in the city), and the criminally underrated BYOB Little Fish (which has a $25, five course dinner on Sundays.) Sweet Lucy's BBQ is pretty great also, if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

And-- I'm cringing as I write this-- I have yet to find a gelateria in Italy that is as good as Capogiro. (There, I said it.)

Thanks for the info!

Aiiiiee! Closed on Sundays, oh no!

Hmm. Well, I'm planning to go to the Italian Market on Sunday afternoon if we don't have a dim sum that runs late. I hope I can convince people to meet up at a proper dim sum time of 11 instead of a brunch time. hee hee.

Now I gotta try Capogiro. I hope they're open late on Friday and Saturday!

tony luke's is open on sundays when the eagles are playing at home.

that's not this sunday, though, unfortunately.

for dim sum we've been going to saigon maxim at 6th & washington lately. it's pretty good (has several mobile fried-dumpling stations; little touches like that that make things nice) and has the added advantage that you can walk through the italian market to get there. most places in the market are open about 9-1 or 9-2 on sundays.

i'm interested to see people's recommendations for saturday night dinner for 20-30 at this late date--except chinatown, where they seem to easily handle crowds like that.

edited to add: capigiro is open till like 11 or so on weekends, i think

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Oh wow, roast pork sandwich, eh?  Definitely will try that.

Edited to add:  Is the roast pork sandwich like porcetta in Florence?  Will there be cracklin's in the sandwich?  Oooh, I hope so...

Tony Luke's roast pork is wonderful. But it's nothing like porchetta: not worse, just different. (Oddly, the 'roast pork Italian', with greens and cheese, is less Italian than the plain version.) And-- I hate to be the one to say this-- it's closed on Sunday; sorry. (I seem to remember a thread this summer on where to get roast pork on Sunday, but I can't remember the answer.)

With that caveat, Diann's recommendations are ace. Other Sunday options include Rangoon (Burmese, and one of my top three or so favorite restaurants in the city), and the criminally underrated BYOB Little Fish (which has a $25, five course dinner on Sundays.) Sweet Lucy's BBQ is pretty great also, if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

And-- I'm cringing as I write this-- I have yet to find a gelateria in Italy that is as good as Capogiro. (There, I said it.)

I must agree with Andrew. I tried ALOT of gelato in Italy and Capogiro ranks way up there so I absolutely do not feel that I am missing out on Italian gelato here in the states. The rosemary goat milk honey is in my book the best flavor on the planet so if they have it - have a taste.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

The Italian Market merchants are open on Sunday, but several of them close early; their hours are geared towards the Italian mamas who cook dinner after church. Try getting there around 11 am if you plan to visit on a Sunday.

To save you some running around, DiBruno's original store is in the Italian Market. It's not as eye-popping as their new Chestnut Street emporium, and it's "split in two": the cheese shop--the original DiBruno Bros.--is in one location and the prepared-foods emporium--DiBruno Brothers Pronto--is four doors up the street, past competitor Claudio's.

Villa diRoma, next door south of DiBruno's, is classic old-school red-gravy Italian fare, if you're feeling nostalgic, and it's reasonable.

But there are plenty of more inventive Italian places. As others have already told you, the BYOs are great bargains. You are lucky to be visiting Philadelphia now, as opposed to a few years ago: our state liquor monopoly, the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, has decided that drinkers in the state's cities should no longer be treated like criminals. Selected State Stores--including the big one at 1217 Chestnut--are open Sundays, so you can pick up an incredible wine bargain to take with you that very day.

Unfortunately, my tastes run towards fiery fare when dining out, so I can't really steer you to the good Italian BYOs. Ask me about pho, or Asian cuisines in general, or Mexican/Latin American, or barbecue. (Yes, barbecue--there are now places in town that are worth recommending.)

Aside to Diann: Wanna cast a vote in favor of your adopted city in this thread in General Food Topics? After all, a few Chicagoans have piped up in favor of their kind of town, and I'm feeling lonely over there.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Capogiro is open late Friday and Saturday.

Google their site for exact hours.

The Italian Market, like the Reading Terminal market is best on Saturday afternoons, as far as being busy.

I'm not sure how much of the Italian Market is even open on Sunday,

much of it may be closed.

(Remember many of the produce vendors are Italian Catholics.)

There's a thread on roast pork on Sundays?

After checking Chickie's, TL's and a few others, I just gave up on good sandwiches on Sunday in South Philly outside of the Passyunk Triangle.

The Italian suggestions above are good, although based on what I've seen and heard from most everyone recently, my 2 current recommendations would be Radicchio at 4th and Vine and L'Angolo on Porter between Broad and 15th. The former is closer to Center City.

Italian for 20-30 pp before tax, tip and wine is doable, but that's 2 courses.

For 20-30 pp before tax, tip and drinks, I'd go with Mexican, Ethiopian, Burmese.

Other than that, there's a ton of great bars in the city that serve really good food and would work for 20-30 pp, even including tax, tip and drinks.

Royal Tavern, Standard Tap, Abbaye, N 3rd, Good Dog are a few.

I'd recommend Golden Phoenix for dimsum, or at least I think that's the name.

It's the biggest storefront restaurant on the north side of Race between 9th and 10th. Dimsum as good as Ocean Harbor, but without the crowds.

The other place around the corner from Lolita and Capogiro that seldom gets mentioned for drinks is Ludwig's Garten, between Broad and 13th on Sansom. Also Fergie's, my ideal corner bar is on Sansom between 12th and 13th.

When will you be at the DragonBoat Festival? I'm supposed to stop by some time between 10 and 2. I'd be happy to guide you around, for a few hours at least.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Tony Luke's roast pork is wonderful.  But it's nothing like porchetta: not worse, just different.  (Oddly, the 'roast pork Italian', with greens and cheese, is less Italian than the plain version.)  And-- I hate to be the one to say this-- it's closed on Sunday; sorry.  (I seem to remember a thread this summer on where to get roast pork on Sunday, but I can't remember the answer.)

Ahh, but it IS open on sunday in a way, in that it's open until 2am saturday night, so the obvious solution is to go down there at, like, 1am, which is when the flavor of the crowd and the food is at its peak.

www.tonylukes.com/restaurants.htm

If you go to Tony Luke's, I'd recommend the roast pork.

You're never going to find any agreement about the "best" cheesesteak in town, but there is something to be said for the overall experience of Pat's, Geno's, or Jim's. Getting a steak with wiz, onions and a little philly "attytood" can sometimes outweigh the inconsistency of the product. And at any given moment, despite their tourist-trap reputations, any of those three famous places CAN make a fantastic cheesesteak. I can't guarantee it, but I've had great ones from all three places. Not every time....

I think everyone above has given you some good advice. Given your price range, one of our BYOBs for dinner is a great idea. If you don't mind eating early, you'll have much better luck showing up at some of the no-reservation places right as they open at 5pm. You're not going to get into Marigold on a saturday, and they're closed sunday, the same may be true of many of the small BYOBs. That's one of the few charms of the no-res places, you actually have as good a shot as anybody if you're willing to wait around.

Of those, Radicchio and Melograno are great choices for Italian, although they're not really representative of the local Philly-style Italian food. If you want that (homey pasta and "red gravy") you can do that within your budget, and still have money for several carafes of the house wine, at places like Ralph's or Villa di Roma, both of which are on 9th street, in the Italian Market.

I'll also second the recommendation for Lakeside Deli for Dim Sum. I see the charm of the cart thing, but I'll forgo that for made-to-order, hot, fresh items. The restaurant doesn't look like much, but they do a good job. And I know DC has at least one Burmese restaurant, but I don't know how good it is. As Andrew mentioned, Rangoon is an excellent place here in our Chinatown if you're looking for an uncommon ethnic offering.

And of course, you can NOT miss Capogiro.

And-- I'm cringing as I write this-- I have yet to find a gelateria in Italy that is as good as Capogiro.  (There, I said it.)

Thanks for sticking your neck out Andrew, I'm feeling a lot better about claiming that Capogiro is the best gelato in the known universe...

(edited to try to adjust a bit for the fact that there were, like, 35 other posts added while I was typing!!)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

i'm interested to see people's recommendations for saturday night dinner for 20-30 at this late date--except chinatown, where they seem to easily handle crowds like that.

Thankfully, I think he's trying to keep it to 20-30 dollars, I don't think he's trying to seat a whole dragon-boat's worth of people this saturday night. That indeed would be a challenge!

philadining.com

:laugh: Yeap, 20-30 USD per person, not a whole DB crew. GAH, I did that in Princeton at Penang and the stars were aligned in my favor that night, I tell you what. Got the res at the last minute and we got some bangin' food. With 129 teams comin' into Philly, I doubt we'd find a good place to eat that could accomodate us!

(I'll be competing with my team at the festival all day long, so PM me if you want more details. I'm hoping having some cheesesteaks on Friday night might be our lucky charm to win some medals. :laugh: )

OK, so I'll definitely hit Capogiro for gelato and try to squeeze in a trip to the Italian Market if I have time. I'll try to get a cheesesteak somewhere and a pork sandwich.

Does anyone have any good bakeries to recommend? Western or Chinese. I am looking for:

Biscotti

Brioche

Cha siu bao (baked)

Japanese style cheesecake

Hmm. Must pack a cooler for this trip!

Thankfully, I think he's trying to keep it to 20-30 dollars, I don't think he's trying to seat a whole dragon-boat's worth of people this saturday night. That indeed would be a challenge!

aaaaaaah, i get it. i was gonna say, that's some seriously last-minute planning.

Does anyone have any good bakeries to recommend?  Western or Chinese.  I am looking for:

Biscotti

Brioche

Cha siu bao (baked)

for great brioche, look no further than metropolitan bakery. there's one at 11th & pine, one at 19th & manning (above spruce), and several others.

oh also they make great brioche at miel, 17th & walnut.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

for great brioche, look no further than metropolitan bakery.  there's one at 11th & pine, one at 19th & manning (above spruce), and several others.

11th and Pine is no longer a Metropolitan Bakery shop, though the place that replaced it still sells MB bread.

There is also a Metropolitan Bakery outlet in the Reading Terminal Market. But we've already determined you wouldn't be able to make it there.

One more comment, re: the Italian Market: "Italian" is becoming something of a misnomer, as immigration from Southeast Asia and Latin America has changed the face of the city's oldest street market. Many of the produce vendors--including the best produce stand in the market, Judy & Stan's, which offers consistently high-quality produce; most of the others are hit-and-miss--are now Vietnamese or Cambodian, and a number of Mexican grocers have also opened up shop. This also means that you now see a wider variety of peppers than you used to on 9th Street, along with things like tomatillos and Chinese cabbage.

Almost all of the stores in the Market are open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday; I believe that Paul & Frances Giordano's produce emporium at 9th and Washington is an exception. mrbigjas mentioned the butchers in the Reading Terminal Market upthread; you can get meats almost as good as those Harry Ochs sells at Esposito's in the Italian Market. (Esposito's supplies several good restaurants in town as well.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hmm.  Must pack a cooler for this trip!

This is an excellent idea, I think you're going to find some foods you want to take home. I agree with all the raves about DiBrunos, but if you're in the Italian Market, don't miss Claudio's for cheese, olives, salumi, oils, dried pastas and other Italian products, and even more, their fresh mozzerella operation right next door to the main store.

I don't know of any place around here that makes those baked Chinese pork buns, I'd love to know if anyone has a good source!

philadining.com

Gastro, you're in big time luck!!!!

READING TERMINAL MARKET IS OPEN THIS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9TH!! due to there being an enormous dentist convention.

I'm sure you won't see any Amish, but even so, don't miss it.

FWIW...do NOT be tempted by Rick's cheesesteaks like the rest of the tourists. Grab a seat at DiNic's and have yourself a roast pork italian. I'm sure many folks will give their rec's, but I'd add the Down Home Diner and Delilah's for fried chicken, mac and cheese and collards.

Enjoy.

http://readingterminalmarket.org/index.php

Does anyone have any good bakeries to recommend?  Western or Chinese.  I am looking for:

Biscotti

Brioche

Cha siu bao (baked)

Hmm.  Must pack a cooler for this trip!

This is currently my favorite for cha siu bao. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place, unlike the larger places that sell very un-Chinese pastries.

Asia Bakery

127 N 10th St

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

READING TERMINAL MARKET IS OPEN THIS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9TH!! due to there being an enormous dentist convention.

http://readingterminalmarket.org/index.php

THANK YOU!

WHEEEE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

<does the dance of joy>

OH YEAH! Gotta love them dentists, eh? :cool:

Oh yeah, I will NEVER eat a cheesesteak in RTM. About 5 years ago, I ate my first Philly cheesesteak there and was horribly disappointed. Bleach.