• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Heavy Duty Electric Knife?

Guest JonB

I have a Cuisinart electric knife (this one, for reference: http://www.chefsresource.com/cuiselknif1.html ) that I use mostly for parties for cutting baguettes into thin slices, slicing beef for a buffet, etc.

The problem is, it's not up to the workload and quickly overheats. Lately, some pieces of black plastic have broken off inside and fallen out through the vents. As it heats up, it feels like it gets weaker, too. It was barely up to slicing a hard crust ficelle-type bread this weekend. I had to let it cool down every five minutes or so of continuous use and it smelled of burnt electrics.

Anyway, is there a similar knife that is a bit more durable and can stand up to 20-30 min of continuous use? I have no problem with the Cuisinart's function when new--so I don't some sort of industrial kitchen chainsaw or anything.

Thanks for any advice. -Jon

Saw this one from Acemart. Looks kind of clunky, but cordless would be convenient if it had the power.

http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=...Code=TBL810080P

I can't yet say anything about the sturdiness, but I've had that knife on my "to buy" list since my Cusinart gave the Q sign a few weeks ago, and I thought it worth mentioning that my search showed that these guys sell the Tablecraft for considerably less (7" electric knife + second 12" blade + shipping = three bucks more than Acemart's price for the knife alone). Of all the cordless knives I've seen (mostly on the web), this one seems at least to be the sturdiest looking.

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

- KSC Pad Leader Guenter Wendt

I got that rechargeable one yesterday and tried it out last night. Sorry to say, but the ergonomics are pretty bad. First, it weighs about twice as much as the Cuisinart, which is the battery I guess. Second, the handle is several inches from the blade, so the blade control is much worse than the Cuisinart which positions your hand just behind the blade. Third, and completely unacceptable, you must hold down a safety button on the top while pulling the trigger on the bottom. :blink: I have decently large hands and I was in pain after about three minutes of this. Not to mention holding your hand in that position inhibits blade control.

You know, I've seen the Cuisinart on sale for less than $30. I think I'll send this turd back and buy a couple of Cuisinarts. One replacement, and a backup for when it burns out (again).

Unless anyone can suggest another "professional" model? :sad:

Hi, new poster, long time lurker...

Anyway, I've had the same problem with the Cuisinart electric knife. I have burned through two in less than six months, catering tends to be hard on these suckers. I was about to buy another one this past March when I saw one of the ol'white Hamilton Beach electric knives ($20 at most places) sitting next to the Cuisinart. I picked up two of them, just in case.

Flash forward 7 months and I'm still using the first one with zero problems. Most of the time that old adage, "You get what you pay for." holds true, but in this case, at least for me, going cheap paid off.

Give one of these a whirl, it may pay-off for you.

Edited by Grovite (log)

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I have a Hamilton Beach that we've used for about 8 years now with no problems at all, we use it a lot for roasts etc, although i think the longest I've used mine is about 20 minutes at a stretch. But it's been great.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.