• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boudin sausages

torakris

I attempted to make boudin sausages last night even though I have neither seen nor eaten them before...

The intro to the recipe just sounded so good!

However they exploded on me, into a huge puffy mass. They still tasted quite good but what did I do wrong?

Should I have stuffed them into the casings a little bit looser?

Did I steam them over two high a heat? I used medium and cooked them on metal steamer with many small holes.

Is the pork mixture always cooked before stuffing? I used quite a bit of fat, actually more than the recipe called for but they were still on the dry side....

The recipe called for the cooked meat to be ground with the attachment with 1/4 inch holes, but it turned out quite smooth like cheap tuna fish. Are there supposed to be no chunks in it?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Usually when steaming, you will want to pierce holes in the skin of the sausage. That will help abate the sausages from splitting.

For the grinding question, did you use a motorized grinder? If so, you may want to make sure that you are icing the meat before you grind it to help keep heating down, and also lower the speed on your grinder.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Usually when steaming, you will want to pierce holes in the skin of the sausage.  That will help abate the sausages from splitting.

oops! :shock:

It was a hand cranked grinder, even though the recipe didn't mention to I chilled the pork for quite a while before grinding.

How tender did you cook the meat? I would tend to think you would want it just cooked, so it's still pretty tough...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

How tender did you cook the meat?  I would tend to think you would want it just cooked, so it's still pretty tough...

The recipe called for the pork pieces to be simmered for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. I used a pork belly instead of the shoulder it called for because past attempts at sausage making always turned out a little too lean.

I see now that the soft texture could have been the combination of too much fat and a long simmering time.

• 8 years later...

When I make Boudin, I use the coarse grind cutting blade.

Also, save some of the pork broth to add if too dry.

I also use a ratio of one cup rice to one pound pork.

I boil mine instead of steaming and just on simmer for 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Greg