• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Most Seductive Fruit

Carrot Top

Raspberries.

They have that dry, soft, almost fuzzy exterior.. But then you put one in your mouth and just the slightest pressure of your tongue is enough to crush the berry against your palate.. it explodes in your mouth with rubyred tart juicy-ness..

Ohh you need another and another.. just one more.. and before you know it, you've eaten the entire punnet and there's nothing left to make the dessert you had planned for tonight's dinner.

That's seduction.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Raspberries.

They have that dry, soft, almost fuzzy exterior.. But then you put one in your mouth and just the slightest pressure of your tongue is enough to crush the berry against your palate.. it explodes in your mouth with rubyred tart juicy-ness..

Ohh you need another and another.. just one more.. and before you know it, you've eaten the entire punnet and there's nothing left to make the dessert you had planned for tonight's dinner.

That's seduction.

The word "punnet" was new to me!

THANX

SB :smile:

Figs http://www.uknet.net/showcase/BritishFood/fig.sized.jpg

Make a slit in the side with your fingernail and pull apart to show the sweet red insides peeping through the crack...

Works for me.

gallery_1643_1753_143280.jpg

Any perfectly ripe fruit s sure to get my juices flowing. With the exception of prickly pear fruit, hate those bastard things.

A Yoinashi Asian pear.  It's an heirloom variety that a local orchard (North Star Orchard)grows (along with about 6 others) that just blows me away every time I have one.  Very sweet and crisp with enough juice to drip down your chin.  Tastes like butterscotch.  They're awesome.  The best fruit I've ever eaten anywhere.

They should be in season any day now.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Not your average pear, much better.

Raspberries.

That's seduction.

The word "punnet" was new to me!

THANX

SB :smile:

We call them a Punnet in Australia. You go to the supermarket or fruitier and buy a "Punnet" of strawberries. In New Zealand they call them a pottle. I am from Australia but have spent the last 6 years living there. I always found that a strange word. "Pottle" weird :rolleyes:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

How can one choose? A tree-ripened freestone peach that one has to lean over the sink to eat, a fragrant perfectly ripe Comice pear, or the just picked strawberries that are only found in the little stands next to the fields, all are just heavenly and I couldn't possibly choose.

I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned the quince... obviously, you all didn't pay attention in art history!!! :wink: The quince was the most painted fruit because it was symbolic of luh-ove!

http://www.cookingcouple.com/atoz/q.shtml (and yes, I caught the typo too!)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Katie, I'll look out for those special Asian Pears this year.

But I have to confess I love most fruit in its season. With fall upon us, I'm waiting eagerly for persimmons, muscat grapes, and quince.

I've come to enjoy apples cooked most of all. And while an especially ripe aromatic pear is wonderful out of hand (with Stilton and port heavenly), I'm beginning to relish them poached in spices and wine or as part of a pork dish cooked in a gastrique, too.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Wow, no one has mentioned the most obvious and immediate to me - it's persimmons, by a mile. That translucent, glowing, brilliantly sweet and succulent flesh, lights up the room, slides down your throat like silk.

Katie, I'll look out for those special Asian Pears this year.

North Star Orchards is at the Rittenhouse Square and Headhouse Square Farmer's markets every Saturday and Clark Park Farmer's Market on Thursdays with them, as well as with many varieties of heirloom apples. The Asian Pear cider is also delicious and makes a mean Margarita. :cool:

Let me know how you like them.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We got those butterscotch Asian pears last year too, and they were magnificent. I can't wait for more of them. Lychees are right up there at the top of my list too, but I still say persimmons, Hachiyas, dead ripe.

Though I have never eaten any, I have heard that the ugly tropical fruit called custard apple (also called sweetsop) has a creamy, fragrant flesh inside that is mightily seductive. Anyone had one, who would care to post your impressions?

Though I have never eaten any, I have heard that the ugly tropical fruit called custard apple (also called sweetsop) has a creamy, fragrant flesh inside that is mightily seductive. Anyone had one, who would care to post your impressions?

Hmmm... not exactly ugly but perhaps you mean not smooth and symmetrical.

In our part of the world, the sweetsop is called an atis. Until very recently I thought it was also the same as the custard apple until I came face-to-face with another custard apple which is called anunas/anonas in Filipino. I think the anunas deserves the name custard apple more than the atis does.

Here's a link to a picture of the anonas and the fruits on the tree. Below are atis:

gallery_35373_1761_4502.jpg

Both are very sweet with fragrant flesh as you said, browniebaker.

sugar/custard apple, sweetsop, atis = Annona squamosa

custard apple/anunas = Annona reticulata

If that's cherimoya, it is indeed delicious. But it's full of seeds that you have to spit out, so it's not necessarily what one would think of as sensual, unless spitting is part of your thing.

cherimoya = Annona cherimola

LOL Abra! I can imagine a spitting contest. You can eat them in decent company with the aid of a spoon. Tee hee! :biggrin:

Edited to add the atis picture.

Edited by PPPans (log)

• 6 months later...

Those who love durian, the "god of fruits" seem to REALLY love durian. I don't get it. I can't get pass the smell. But from some people, a good fresh durian is not suppose to smell like a rotting corpse.

Really citrusy fruits are seductive to me. For taste, the orange and pomegranate always live up to expectation. The watermelon is magnificent, but like strawberries I always get a sense that it should be more flavorful and sweeter.

By looks alone, dragonfruit and mangosteens are seductive.