• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I make lychee puree

oli

I can't find lychee puree in the markets here and don't necessarily want to order any, so I was wondering if I take lychee nut in the can, can I just run it through the blender or food processor to make lychee puree?

Thanks

I'm not an expert but that's how I make raspberry and strawberry puree so I can't see why it wouldn't work. The lychee nuts should already be soft from the canning process so it should work fine. Maybe save a bit of the liquid they are canned in so that if the lychees end up to thick to puree properly you could add a bit in.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I would start with the lychees alone in a blender, and add only enough of the canning syrup to keep it moving.

The difference is that a puree made from lychees in syrup is going to be sweeter than a lychee puree you would buy. You may have to adjust the recipes you use it in to decrease the sugar a bit.

i know a pastry chef who just took the whole can of lychee and pureed it with the syrup and froze it "as is" for his lychee sorbet.  worked fine.

Well, when you make a sorbet out of puree you usually add simple syrup. You wouldn't want the puree itself to be as sweet as a sorbet base though, unless that's all you were using it for.

Of course, nothing beats fresh lychees and pureeing them as well, perhaps with some simple syrup or sugar added.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Recipe Gullet from Rachel Perlow ...Lychee & Key Lime Sorbet

Combine sugar and water in a pot over medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved, remove from heat, add salt. While sugar is dissolving, peel lychees and remove seeds. Puree in blender or food processor for a minute. Strain and press fruit through fine mesh sieve, discard pulpy brown bits remaining in sieve.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"