• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Pork Chops, Honey Garlic Sauce

hzrt8w

Also I found with my leftovers that a splash of soy was a nice addition. [...]

The versions of this dish I had in nearby restaurants, they looked a bit dark. They probably splash some soy sauce to it.

Not sure about the hot pepper... :smile:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to make one of the pictorial dishes for a long time, and last night I finally tried this one because I had everything on hand. It was really good. I used brown sugar because I don't have a microwave and didn't feel like dealing with maltose... :blink:

Eric really loved it but I thought it was a little too sweet for me. I think next time I will add a little bit of soy sauce to it, or maybe use less sugar.

I put the leftovers (with steamed jasmine rice) in my bento for today's lunch:

121973379_9e6bfe0fc2.jpg

Jennie

janiac: Thanks for sharing your result. Malt sugar is really hard to deal with. I didn't like the work involved using it either. :biggrin: Brown sugar sure works really well too.

• 4 weeks later...
[...]I made a slight change and added some finely shredded ginger to the sauce, but other then that I followed the instructions exactly!

This is brilliant! Ginger is very complementary to sugar. It must have added another dimension to this dish! :smile:

• 1 month later...

Here's my effort:

164046949_a111c008f8.jpg

I built upon the variations made previously. Shredded cabbage was good, but could have used a little something else (I was planning on using a little roasted sesame seed oil, but forgot it) -- rice would probably have been just as good though. It seemed like a good idea. I used soy sauce, water, honey, brown sugar, corn starch, ginger and garlic -- and a couple of dried chili peppers for the sauce. Came out very nice. The pork cutlets tend to get bent out of shape a lot when sauteed, so I was considering cutting it into strips and stir-frying it -- which I still think might be a good idea.

I'm not entirely sure what the author thinks of such variations/bastardizations of the original recipe, but I am really happy about this string of pictorials. Great stuff, wonderful inspiration.

Here's my effort:

164046949_a111c008f8.jpg

The pork cutlets tend to get bent out of shape a lot when sauteed, so I was considering cutting it into strips and stir-frying it -- which I still think might be a good idea.

I'm not entirely sure what the author thinks of such variations/bastardizations of the original recipe, but I am really happy about this string of pictorials. Great stuff, wonderful inspiration.

If flat pork chops are what you are aiming for, just make a couple of nicks (1/2" or so deep) along the top of the pork chop. You may see a transluscent strip along the top of the chop. It's this that shrinks during cooking and causes the chop to be "bent out of shape". Just make sure the nicks cut through this.

People have been "bastardizing" Chinese and all other cuisines for ages, so I am sure Ah Leung can handle your variation. :wink::laugh:

I think your pork chops look delicious! Not sure about the shredded raw cabbage, but if they were steamed or stir-fried, then I would go for that. Rice of course, would be better. :smile:

Did you eat the raw cabbage, or was it just for presentation?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thank you -- for the compliment, but even more so for the advice. I'll try to keep that in mind. The cabbage was eaten, raw. It's got a great texture, I think.

I had these wonderful pork chops with cabbage, too, but I sauteed the cabbage with some bacon and had them on the side.

• 4 months later...
I hope, I don't get shout at for also bedding it on coleslaw *ducks and runs for cover* :laugh:

Is that coleslaw? I thought they are some thin noodles! :laugh:

Thanks for your picture. That looks lovely!

Is that coleslaw?  I thought they are some thin noodles!  :laugh:

Thanks for your picture.  That looks lovely!

Thanks. Yeah, it's coleslaw, not raw though. It was made of:

1 half white cabbage

2 TBSP veg oil

2 TBSP rice wine vinegar

1 TSP soy sauce

1/2 TSP honey or sugar

and salt and pepper

Best done a couple of hours in advance.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

• 4 years later...

I have been stalking this recipe for several days. Very pleased to find it right here in Recipe Gullet where I should have looked in the first place. Loved this dish but haven't made it in some time.

It Turned out amazing! I should have taken a picture but it looked too good!

I made a simple syrup, with brown sugar and water. Let it cool, added honey, and mixed it all together. Added about 10 cloves of chopped Black Garlic, and let it sit for an hour. I cut the pork into strips and marinated that in some Honey, Garlic, hot sauce, and Chinese Molasses, and let them marinate for about 2 hours. Heated up my wok, with some oil, did off the pork in batches. Then added the sauce and brought it to a hard simmer, then tossed the pork with it. Plated it over some jasmine rice and it was beautiful! Thank you for that! It was delicious! :D

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I used a big part of your recipe in a dish that I created a few days ago (you can read about it here) , the honey garlic sauce is an absolute winner however I'm not quite sure wether I should be dicing the garlic up very very thin or if I'm supposed to not dice it at all and take the lumps out before serving it, what'd you suggest? Thanks for putting this up, much appreciated.

Edited by Lklotz (log)

• 1 month later...

I'd like to vote for more authentic Chinese dishes being posted rather than Americanized ones but both are greatly appreciated.

Interesting cultural side note; it can be difficult to find some of the ingredients that you use 'up here' in Beijing. Sa Cha sauce is a good example, Beijingers don't normally use it. Red Vinegar is another, the supermarkets don't stock it.

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

... I'm not quite sure wether I should be dicing the garlic up very very thin or if I'm supposed to not dice it at all and take the lumps out before serving it, what'd you suggest?

Restaurants do this dish with whole garlic. Good either way. My stove can't burn the whole garlic fast enough so I chopped them. I prefer no raw garlic. Do whichever way you wish! :)

(The whole garlic seems more appealing in plating.)

.....in Beijing. Sa Cha sauce is a good example, Beijingers don't normally use it. Red Vinegar is another, the supermarkets don't stock it.

Thanks for your kind words Big Joe.

I expected that Sa Cha sauce is probably not common "up north" from Guangdong. Red Vinegar? Really? I thought that is a pan-China thing like rice wine.

Are there local grocery markets geared for southerners? There should be as there are plenty of Cantonese restaurants in Beijing these days too, no?