• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lactic cheese

torakris

I am starting off my cheesemaking very easy. :biggrin:

Right now I have some lactic cheese draining in my kitchen, however I have never heard of lactic cheese before and have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

In the preface of the recipe it said that it can be sweetened and used to fill crepes for a nice desert. I was thinking of giving this a try. Do I just add sugar to it? what kind?

any other uses for lactic cheese?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I am starting off my cheesemaking very easy. :biggrin:

Right now I have some lactic cheese draining in my kitchen, however I have never heard of lactic cheese before and have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

In the preface of the recipe it said that it can be sweetened and used to fill crepes for a nice desert. I was thinking of giving this a try. Do I just add sugar to it? what kind?

any other uses for lactic cheese?

it sounds to me like your making quark.........

make sure you get the cheese dry before you do anything with it........

you can flavor the cheese anyway you like after the fact, sweet, or savory.......

i like to leave it plain, you can use it to stuff pasta, of any kind, make cheesecake, limitless uses.......

I made it by heating 1 gallon of milk to 86F, then adding a mesophilic starter, I then added 1 teaspoon of a rennet solution (3 drops of rennet in 1/3 cup of water). It was then covered and allowed to set for 12 hours after which it was placed into muslin and allowed to drain.

It looked like yogurt as I was pouring it into the muslin, it was quite soft. After 8 hours of draining it had firmed up quite a bit with the outside and top tops being much firmer than the middle.

It has a nice if bland taste, not really sour like yogurt but not really like cream cheese either.

Last night I took some of it and mixed it with salt and freshly cracked pepper and served it on slices of baguette fresh from the oven, it was quite good.

I am wondering if it can be used in any cooking applications..

I had wanted to make the quark cheese but it called for a buttermilk starter and I don't have that. Can you make quark without it?

I sweetened it with some sugar and rolled it with some sauteed apples into crepes for dessert. It was ok but I didn't care for it sweetened as much as I enjoyed it with just salt and pepper.

I made it by heating 1 gallon of milk to 86F, then adding a mesophilic starter, I then added 1 teaspoon of a rennet solution (3 drops of rennet in 1/3 cup of water). It was then covered and allowed to set for 12 hours after which it was placed into muslin and allowed to drain.

It looked like yogurt as I was pouring it into the muslin, it was quite soft. After 8 hours of draining it had firmed up quite a bit with the outside and top tops being much firmer than the middle.

It has a nice if bland taste, not really sour like yogurt but not really like cream cheese either.

Last night I took some of it and mixed it with salt and freshly cracked pepper and served it on slices of baguette fresh from the oven, it was quite good.

I am wondering if it can be used in any cooking applications..

I had wanted to make the quark cheese but it called for a buttermilk starter and I don't have that. Can you make quark without it?

there are a number of ways to make a fresh cheese like this, the trick is to get the optimun pH in the set curd, before you put it in the drain bags. this affects moisture content of the curd, and therefore affects the flavor profile, and the physical properties of the finished product.

shoot for a 4.7 going into the bag.......adjust your culture times and ammounts to give the desired result.....

what you have is a low fat cream cheese, so use it in cooking applications the same way........