• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blu

xyz123

Just wanted to put the word out that thanks to insane demand during Montclair Restaurant Week, Zod has extended the 'deal' for another 2 weeks (confirm the exact date it ends by calling)...he's offering 3 courses for $29!

I'll cross-post, but there is also a 3-course deal at Next Door--for $20.

While I realize that some people may feel that 3 courses might be a tease, I think it's a great excuse to get yourself over to Blu. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 4 months later...

I've been remiss in not posting about a fantastic dinner that I had recently at Blu, but someone is holding out on the photos. So in the interest of spreading the love, here's the tasting menu that six of us had:

Chilled corn soup w/almonds, cantaloupe, chili oil--STUNNING. Sounds bizarre, but trust me that every one of us said "WOW" as we tasted it! I believe that on the menu it includes shrimp when ordered as a first course.

Gravlax over avocado w/vanilla oil, soy caramel --another thing that makes you go "Hmm...?" when you read it, but trust me--an amazing combination of flavors! This is a dish that's normally served as salmon tartare w/the same components (Sans avocado, irrc) but with a quenelle of smoked ice cream on top. It's fantastic that way, too. :biggrin:

Summer risotto w/poached egg, a TINY (just right, imo) amount of white truffle oil, and chives. Note: I'm normally killed on the fullness scale by risotto; not here...this was the perfect amount (remember, it was a tasting!) and somehow, it was light. LOVELY.

Scallops over pureed cauliflower (SWOON) w/black olive oil dust and black olive oil paint. Great crust on the scallop (and in my case, Cod), and one person at the table declared this was the most perfectly-cooked and best scallop he had ever had.

Escolar with PEANUTS and a beautiful green sauce under it that had just a decent amount of kick to it, and small amount of foam on top (Can you tell that I missed the full description? Perhaps someone else will chime in...) This was a course that the chef sent out as a bonus, and it was wonderful. I don't believe I've ever had escolar, but I've read about it, and thought it was great--and (obviously) perfectly cooked.

Duck breast over braised red cabbage with caramelized turnip, red wine and fig reduction* (SO thick we were wiping it up w/bread) I know it's not necessarily a July-sounding dish, but I. DON'T. CARE. :wub:

A ridiculous volume of desserts then hit the table, and we just kept passing them around, although SOME people were a little too protective of their plates! My favorite was without question the Black olive oil cake with basil ice cream,* and orange 'custard'* . SWOON x4. Really. I'm not a sugar freak, so I'm always attracted to a more savory approach to dessert, but this just blew me away. Incredible flavors, each so beautifully defined that it seems like they only had the main ingredient in them--if that makes any sense!

For the rest of the dessert freaks, we had (with apologies to the chef for not remembering them all in great detail):

P.B. ice cream, dark choc cake

Hazelnut mousse (?) over a small mocha cake w/fried bananas

Coconut panna cotta (didn't try it as I'm not a big coconut fan and I was busy stealing basil ice cream)

Banana cake (?)

Dark chocolate combo plate w/strawberries

Apple/peanut butter Napoleon [damn good too]

*I'd like to bathe in this.

Another spectacular dinner at Blu. It's that simple. Had to share!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 3 weeks later...

I've never objected to the stemware at Blu, but I have at other places--but have never (doubt I would ever) bring my own. That said, if you're particular enough to post this question, I'd suggest you bring your Reidels just in case--but see what you think of theirs before you (no pun intended) break yours out! My two cents.

Also--expect them to whisk your bottle away after they pour--if you object, just tell them you want to keep it at the table.

Have a GREAT meal! And happy birthday!

I've never objected to the stemware at Blu, but I have at other places--but have never (doubt I would ever) bring my own.  That said, if you're particular enough to post this question, I'd suggest you bring your Reidels just in case--but see what you think of theirs before you (no pun intended) break yours out!  My two cents.

Also--expect them to whisk your bottle away after they pour--if you object, just tell them you want to keep it at the table. 

Have a GREAT meal!  And happy birthday!

Thanks Curlz!

I've never objected to the stemware at Blu, but I have at other places--but have never (doubt I would ever) bring my own.  That said, if you're particular enough to post this question, I'd suggest you bring your Reidels just in case--but see what you think of theirs before you (no pun intended) break yours out!  My two cents.

Have a GREAT meal!  And happy birthday!

Thanks Curlz!

Great meal...very impressed. I had the beet salad and the duck breast. Everyone else had fish....the escolar and the ahi. Curlz...I winged it and their stemware was fine. Brought a 2007 Stadt Krems Gruner Veltliner and a 2008 St. Urbanshof Okfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett.

Both matched really well with the food. The service was excellent........very professional and attentive without being obtrusive. I can't wait to try Next Door!

Edited by alembic54 (log)