• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kotobukiya Market

stef_foodie

We are visiting Cambridge/Boston this weekend and a friend advised we park at Porter Exchange while visiting Cambridge. Since we'll get there by lunchtime we'll have lunch in the area before visiting Harvard and MIT. Any family-friendly places you can recommend? I see that there are several Japanese food spots in Kotobukiya Market itself, but I tried to find reviews and only found a short reference to Ittyo. The nearer (a few blocks max) to Kotobukiya Market the better. Thanks!

Whoops, change of plans. We don't have to park at Porter Exchange. So if you have recommendations anywhere near the Museum of Natural History that would be great! Thanks!

Edited by stef_foodie (log)

stefoodie.net - now a wheatless, eggless, dairyless food blog

noodlesandrice.com (with b5media)

bakingdelights.com (with b5media, and my 15-yo-dd)

Kotobukiya is in the basement of the old Sears building near the Porter Square T stop. On the same floor, there is a whole arcade of Japanese food stalls. I like the one at the end of the row that makes udon, though there are separate stalls for ramen, sushi, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Kotobukiya is a Japanese grocery store that sells anything a homesick Japanese person could possibly want, including imported Japanese toilet paper. They have Japanese beef for sukiyaki, dried cuttlefish snacks, Pocari Sweat, you name it.