• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial:Stir-fried Mustard Greens

hzrt8w

hzrt: Any idea what the English name for "Sam gnah wong/ three teeth yellow?" is? That's the kind of wind dried salty fish I always buy. It's also "mui hern" texture - soft, melt in your mouth texture. It's quite expensie as well, runs around $12.00 a fish about 12 to 14 inches long.

Irwin :raz: [salty Old Man or Ham Sap Low] the salutation i received when buying this Fish from the Shop Employees.

Mui hern just describes the softer texture...altho' I don't think the characters translate as such...I just buy what Mom's tells me to... :rolleyes:

A little goes a long ways does not apply to my family! One fish will do 2 meals...and they fight for the bones!

Wesza: Is it because you buy "so many salty fish" that you were given that title? :unsure::raz:

Dejah:

Do you mean the title of "Mui hern" or "Ham Sap Low" ? Being kept away in the Canadian Prairie for the protection of everyone else I am concerned about your language skills. Thankfully "Teepee" has come to our rescue.

A more eloquent description of the interpretation of "Ham Sap Low" can be insinuated by "Ben Hong's" posting today on the thread "Odd find in Old Asia Market" it shows you how the venerable thoughts of pure masculinity begin to change after one attains the age of 63 years +, as you can see us older men are beyond salt fish, or most definitely rotten things. It's based upon our delight in enjoying sweet tender young morsels. [not speaking Cantonese that's what I was told]

Inquiring minds want to know if there is a similar title applied to mature woman who are as vernarable as such special mature men ?

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Inquiring minds want to know if there is a similar title applied to mature woman who are as vernarable as such special mature men ?

Dear Proud-2-B-Salty-Wet-Man* (otherwise venerably titled DOM)

This would be a challenge to our in-house language expert Ah Leung. However, mature women are unfortunately passed off with vegetable-associated names, albeit similarly well-seasoned.

Sign.

Not Going to be a Pickle.

* Ham = Salty

Sap = Wet

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Dear Proud-2-B-Salty-Wet-Man* (otherwise venerably titled DOM)

This would be a challenge to our in-house language expert Ah Leung. However, mature women are unfortunately passed off with vegetable-associated names, albeit similarly well-seasoned.

Sign.

Not Going to be a Pickle.

* Ham = Salty

Sap = Wet

The more I learn, the more confused I become ! {Cantonese Scholar}

Salty + Wet = Live

[DOM] = okay agreed

Not Going to be a Pickle = Huh ? If your not a pickle then what veggie are you ?

Anyway "Dejah" has ruled ! Only microbes are allowed.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Hmm, I should have signed off 'Don't want to be in a Pickle' for now I'm afraid I'll soon end up in one....especially now that I'm posting under the potent influence of the chicken in homemade rice wine courtesy of my mom.

The rest of you are either in euphoria from being one big global family (www.wok) or influenced by Jack's excellent selection of wines...all after-effects of a chinese banquet.

Note to self: Don't Drink & Post.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah