• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Sebastian

molto e

The question with Andoni and Mugaritz is that he is to be understood and not only tasted. I know it's a complicated proposition, but worth the effort. In my opinion he is the best chef in Spain today, the only one able to go ahead beyond Adriá, using the best technology can provide but hidding it in the kitchen and showing only a kind of nature renatured, a concept so precious to Merleau-Ponty. Andoni is a philosopher in the kitchen, and not easy to give pleasure, but when you understand him it's more than a meal, it's sublime.  :cool:

luizhorta,

I can see Andoni is a skilled chef, but I do not think it is fair to the diner or himself to have to be understood past the dishes he puts on the table. This was the most beautiful and disappointing restaurant and meal of my trip.

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

The question with Andoni and Mugaritz is that he is to be understood and not only tasted. I know it's a complicated proposition, but worth the effort. In my opinion he is the best chef in Spain today, the only one able to go ahead beyond Adriá, using the best technology can provide but hidding it in the kitchen and showing only a kind of nature renatured, a concept so precious to Merleau-Ponty. Andoni is a philosopher in the kitchen, and not easy to give pleasure, but when you understand him it's more than a meal, it's sublime.  :cool:

I have to agree with the  all of the above reviewer. I am already an Andoni supporter.  I continue to be. I fail to comprehend anyone else on eGullet who refutes this extraordinary culinary talent. I welcome other eGulleteers who dispute Andon'is enormous talent. We  will revisit him again and again. JUst like we will return to El Bulli, Michel Bras:  and all  the exceptional culinary destinations in Europe. THe remarkable talent of this young chef is exceptional!! Judith Gebhart

Andoni is a great, great talent indeed. But he is also going through a peculiar, introspective, quasi-vegetarian, herb-obsessed period in his career (reminds me a little of something similar with Alain Passard a few years back...) that translates into sometimes disconcerting results. Spain's leading restaurant guide may cut his rating in 2006, I hear. That said, I much admire Luiz for knowing so much about the Spanish restaurant scene that he can state from São Paulo that Aduriz is "the best chef in Spain"! Me, from Madrid, I can't say really which one is, because there's a couple I don't know yet and a few that I know too little. But, hey, it's good to hear a clear-cut opinion. From my modest viewpoint, the best chef in Spain is still a guy called Ferran Adrià - and I have my points of disagreement with what he does!

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Sorry Victor, out of sheer enthusiasm I "over-heated". Correcting my post: He is the best chef in Spain [for me] and after Ferran Adriá, that probably is number one in the Mundo Mundial nowadays. I think Andoni is taking the hard way, perhaps a non-sequitur...what makes him more interesting to me, being coherent with his ideas and not with some numbers he can or cannot get from a guide. Who needs to be an unanimity anyway? I watch him as close as I can, because I learn a lot from him, but as you say, its only my opinion from far away, down deep south. :wub:

Andoni is a great, great talent indeed. But he is also going through a peculiar, introspective, quasi-vegetarian, herb-obsessed period in his career (reminds me a little of something similar with Alain Passard a few years back...) that translates into sometimes disconcerting results. Spain's leading restaurant guide may cut his rating in 2006, I hear. That said, I much admire Luiz for knowing so much about the Spanish restaurant scene that he can state from São Paulo that Aduriz is "the best chef in Spain"! Me, from Madrid, I can't say really which one is, because there's a couple I don't know yet and a few that I know too little. But, hey, it's good to hear a clear-cut opinion. From my modest viewpoint, the best chef in Spain is still a guy called Ferran Adrià - and I have my points of disagreement with what he does!

By the way: you've talked about Iñigo Lavado's new restaurant. Where is it? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am quite puzzled to read that Aduriz has been going thru a peculiar quasi-vegetarian and herb- obssessed period. My recent (16 October) meal there started with a vegetable dish (different and BETTER than Bras' gargaillou where I ate on October 9) and apart from the next dish (borage stalks) his set menu included the following dishes: squid and chestnuts, cod cheek and tripe stew, and egg dish, foie gras, rouget (salmonetes), lamb trotter.

The use of herbs was judicious and clever.

A serious review(which Aduriz deserves) will have to wait. But I should say that his best dishes are stellar and less successful dishes are still interesting.

If I can read a chef's intelligence from his cooking and his style I shall argue that Aduriz is a remarkable person. This may of course be a great thing but it may also be a pitfall as a person like this is unlikely to find satisfaction when he perfects a dish so he may make changes too often and sometimes he can regress (such as Gagnaire). Personally I would look forward to future meals there.

One simply has to go to Etxebarri near Bilbao for the greatest cuisine based on the simple wood-fired grill to be found in Spain, and possibly anywhere. Of the 'non-anointed', up-and-coming stars, the other musts are certainly Fagollaga in Hernani and the brand-new Iñigo Lavado restaurant in Irún, both near San Sebastián. Of the 'anointed' ones, I'd say Zuberoa is currently the most disappointing.

Had only time for one evening of tapas at San Sebastián last month while touring the French Basque country. We hit Ganbara first - and we never left. Amazing quality.

After my second meal at Etxebarri ( a restaurant I reviewed before and awarded 18/20) I wholeheartedly second Victor. His cuisine is simple but not simplistic. Some of his touches are very clever and sophisticated in an understated way(his becada, his ventresca de bonito, his foie gras). He is absolutely obssessed with highest quality ingredients to a degree that he will serve Gillardeau oysters(yes a la brasa and sitting on algae) and the best ceps. For my taste were I to visit only one restaurant in the Basque region it would be Etxebarri (followed by Mugaritz and Elkano). Besides, I love the setting in the little village of Axpe and the Atxondo valley(esp. when you hit it in a day when there is a wedding in the little church).

And hitting Ganbara....yes it is addictive and it used to be even more amazing in the late 80s when shellfish was more abundant. But it still is the best for traditional tapas and wild mushrooms. For creative fare, Alona Berri looked like a good bet but we were too full after Etxebarri to do it full justice.

. . . .

If I can read a chef's intelligence from his cooking and his style I shall argue that Aduriz is a remarkable person. This may of course be a great thing but it may also be a pitfall as a person like this is unlikely to find satisfaction when he perfects a dish so he may make changes too often and sometimes he can regress (such as Gagnaire). Personally I would look forward to future meals there.

That's a most interesting comment and I suspect a number of my favorite chefs may share the same trait. It's a strength and a weakness, or at least potentially both of those. How a chef handles his own personality is important in relation to the food served at his restaurant, but I also suspect how the diner reacts to this personality is going to have an even greater effect on his opinion of the restaurant and his interest in returning. Budget and proximity to the restaurant will also play a part, it's easier to take risks in a restaurant one hasn't saved up all year to visit and it's easier to take risks close to home than when planning one's dance card for a visit of a week or less.

Reading in your next post about Ganbara and Alona Berri does more to make me want to be in San Sebastian than all the starred restaurants, at least on some days. Victor couldn't leave Ganbara, but he's more familiar with the competition in the neighborhood. We pulled ourself away after only a more than average indulgence, but it was the first place I revisited on the following night. Aloña Berri is well worth the trip to the barrio de Gros, partially just to get away from the old city and see another facet of bar life in San Sebastian removed from the tourist center, but also for the quality and inventive offerings. The relative calm of the setting also enables a little conversation with the staff, although I only get the second hand translation. These were two of our favorites, but by no means head and shoulders above some other places. La Cuchara de San Telmo was particularly satisfying among those others I mentioned over a year ago.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I do agree. Andoni is not a common chef, and losing points in a local guide is inutile, he has a goal, he is going after it, and he will reach there. Sometimes critics overvalue their own power, and since they believe a lot in themselves and their little books they become more powerful, I think that guides are just to check opening hours and location of the restaurants. The most important role internet plays is in foruns like this one, in which the colors are more vivid depicted, no guide can provide such experiences in first hand as we have here and in another places. I use to read opinions in some wine forums too, and it`s a more efficient tool than any Parker system. Vmilor writes exactly what I think, Andoni is not to be taken with a frivoulous approach ("I wanted foie, no foie, not good"), this is childlish, thing that we gourmets tend to be frequently. If we see the description of the meal it`s all there, and as you say, a very judicious use of vegetables and no an quasi-vegetarian trip. But I am far away from Spanish scene, and not allowed to consider Jordi Roca`s desserts as pure kitsch or Andoni as pure genius, you know. :biggrin:

Vmilor writes exactly what I think, Andoni is not to be taken with a frivoulous approach ("I  wanted foie, no foie, not good"), this is childlish, thing that we gourmets tend to be frequently. If we see the description of the meal it`s all there, and as you say, a very judicious use of vegetables and no an quasi-vegetarian trip. But I am far away from Spanish scene, and not allowed to consider Jordi Roca`s desserts as pure kitsch or Andoni as pure genius, you know.  :biggrin:

Luiz,

I am sorry that you interpreted my displeasure with Mugaritz as to the omission of Foie on my tasting menu. I had a different menu than Vmilor did, he did not get the burned and coddled cream with vegetable ash, vegetable charcoal and I am not sure if he got the saffron confit. Those particular dishes I have seen reviewed in the manner that I felt about them. I have only eaten at Mugaritz once and that was my menu. I am sorry that was the experience when I went there-believe me. I am sure that your menu was superior to mine, but I did not like the lamb trotter that we both had. To have the creative juice that Andoni has must be hard to contain and at times probably misfires. I look forward to trying his cuisine in the future and hopefully enjoying it much more.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Perhaps due to the fact that english is not my native language I did understand that yes, it was the foie omission that was decisive in your judgement. If it's not the case I thank you now for the explanation. As to the "accusation" of Mugaritz becoming a floating-in-space-anti-gravitational-greenish-vegetarian-place it came from other sources and with other intentions, not so clear to me, but common when we talk about Andoni.

• 1 month later...
The first night in San Sebastian, we tried tapas and we went to Casa Gandarias and Bar La Cepa( supposedly Ferran Adria's favorite). My first few shots are of Casa Gandarias, which happened to be the place we enjoyed the most.

gallery_30892_2263_1368741.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_979739.jpg

The vibe in San Sebastian is great, people going from bar to bar for some pinchos and having a mellow good time

gallery_30892_2263_464205.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_1309154.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_149598.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_1155730.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_599906.jpg

Next we tried Bar La Cepa, after trying to go to La Cuchara de San Telmo which was highly recommended but not open that evening.

gallery_30892_2263_923357.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_787066.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_850898.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_4896.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_538638.jpg

The ham is given a quick toast under the salamander before it is served to you

gallery_30892_2263_1042121.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_1033877.jpg

The next day after some cafe con leche and some postres in the hotel and a brief rest on la concha it was time for lunch and we headed to Akelare with Chef Pedro Subijana. In 1976, Pedro Subijana and Juan Mari Arzak, the chef at Arzak, attended a conference in Madrid. There, they approached guest speaker Paul Bocuse, who invited them to spend ten days with him in Lyons and learn about nouvelle cuisine. On their return to San Sebastián, Subijana and Arzak organized a group of colleagues in an effort to try to rescue and update traditional Basque cuisine. Soon, almost unaware, they’d initiated the New Basque Cuisine movement. Chef Subijana won Spain’s National Prize for Gastronomy as the best chef in the country more than 20 years ago and has been at the head of nouvelle basque cooking ever since. Akelare is on the highest point in San Sebastian overlooking the Bay of Biscay and has been awarded 2 Michelin stars. I am not sure which is more spectacular the view or the creations of Chef Subijana.

gallery_30892_1802_93532.jpg

gallery_30892_1802_76273.jpg

gallery_30892_1802_77710.jpg

gallery_30892_1802_33872.jpg

gallery_30892_1802_3680.jpg

gallery_30892_1802_59280.jpg

We ordered two different tasting menus-Aranori and Bekarki

First the Amuses:

gallery_30892_1802_96328.jpg

Sardine with a pepper indigenous to the region/ Sardina Fresca Ahumada con Pesto de Borraja y Guindilla fresca

gallery_30892_1802_63247.jpg

blood sausage in a pastry/ Dama de Morcilla con Berza y Piparras

gallery_30892_1802_35164.jpg

Hamburger of cuttlefish/ Hamburguesa de Sepia con Nube de Gambas

gallery_30892_1802_84683.jpg

Yellow pepper soup/ Soluble de Pimiento

First course-

gallery_30892_1802_86214.jpg

Foie Gras with onion, apple and corn/ Foie con Cebolla, con Manzana, con Maiz

This was very good, I would liken this to Foie truffles

gallery_30892_1802_84394.jpg

Ostras en ensalada de acelga roja y quinoa-oysters in red swiss chard salad with quinoa

The oysters were great, but the swiss chard salad was not to my taste

Second Course-

gallery_30892_1802_73162.jpg

Moluscos al Vapor con Borraja/ Steamed Molluscs with borrage

Good flavors

gallery_30892_1802_28831.jpg

Xangurro frio con sabor de Mary Germinados/ Sea tasting crab and sprouts

very nice dish

Third Course-

gallery_30892_1802_39656.jpg

Chipiron confitado, con crema de arroz y albahaca/ marinated squid with rice cream and basil

squid was cooked perfectly and I liked the addition of some of the new techniques with this dish

gallery_30892_1802_10764.jpg

Caldo de Pochas, sus gnocchis y pichon/ white bean broth, its gnocchis and pigeon

Fourth Course-

gallery_30892_1802_74254.jpg

Rape con jugo de tomate asado y huevas de pimiento/ Monkfish with roasted tomato juice and red pepper roe

monkfish was perfect

gallery_30892_1802_45314.jpg

Atun en papel cebolla, con tamarillo/ tuna in onion paper and tamarillo

Fifth course

gallery_30892_1802_95847.jpg

La terneradel cocido con zanahoria y chirivia/ Veal shanks slow cooked with carrots and parsnips-carrots are stuffed with white rice

gallery_30892_1802_44169.jpg

Presa de Iberico al Aceite de regaliz, cintas de patatas,y boniato con chufa/ Pork shoulder, marinated tomato, oxalis and onion cube

This was the first time that I was served pork shoulder rare and it was very good

Dessert

gallery_30892_1802_100623.jpg

Queso de Cabra, ensalada dulce y helado de sesamo blanco/ goat cheese, sweet salad and white sesame ice cream

gallery_30892_1802_73959.jpg

red fruit yogurt

gallery_30892_1802_31818.jpg

Tambor de calanda

gallery_30892_1802_89834.jpg

Akelare biscotti served with coffee

Akelare was a fantastic meal, in fact I wanted to go back the next day, but I had to try someplace new.

Arzak Restaurant

gallery_30892_1805_70744.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_56203.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_64089.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_103084.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_27691.jpg

Amuses-

gallery_30892_1805_78232.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_62252.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_57708.jpg

Cheese with dates, banana stuffed with fish mousse and puffed rice

gallery_30892_1805_766302.jpg

bacon wrapped orange

gallery_30892_1805_1183252.jpg

bean soup-very good

gallery_30892_1805_19779.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_1614999.jpg

Foie wrapped by zucchini-first time that I had this combination and it worked

gallery_30892_1805_49644.jpg

prawn legs delicious

gallery_30892_1805_86429.jpg

squid

gallery_30892_1805_1331136.jpg

poached egg with bread and mushroom

gallery_30892_1805_8293.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_22538.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_93412.jpg

Squid with Squid ink bread and mango with salsa of squid

gallery_30892_1805_68889.jpg

Rape con hilosy medula

gallery_30892_1805_75998.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_39264.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_1285754.jpg

Cordero con cafe"cortado"-lamb with a coffee veil and potato with mint

gallery_30892_1805_86663.jpg

El foie de pato a la naranja

gallery_30892_1805_82561.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_10900.jpg

Pichon con cera de colmena-pigeon with bees wax

gallery_30892_1805_81431.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_4292.jpg

Ternera mechada con leche de chufas-stewed veal with sweet potatoes

gallery_30892_1805_46262.jpg

tortilla fea de chocolate con lechuga

gallery_30892_1805_42348.jpg

hamgurguesa do chocolate

gallery_30892_1805_187973.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_88861.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_1357558.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_69343.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_42941.jpg

strawberry bubbles

gallery_30892_1805_20391.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_46141.jpg

naranja con espinacas

gallery_30892_1805_1207522.jpg

Arzak was a great dinner and lived up to its reputation. I liked his combination of new technique with well grounded dishes. I would highly recommend Arzak and Akelare.

My last lunch in San Sebastian was between Mugaritz and Martin Berastegui. I choose Mugaritz because of Chef Andoni's reputation as the Foie king. Mugaritz is 25 minutes outside of San Sebastian and may have been the best looking restaurant of the trip.

gallery_30892_1808_184775.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_79216.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_41770.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_28758.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_76621.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_22277.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_1460.jpg

I looked at the a la carte menu and the tasting menus and I did not find the one thing that drove me to Mugaritz-FOIE GRAS. I was told because it was summer that Foie is not on the menu because they charcoal it and it gets too hot. I have never been so disappointed with a menu omission in my life. If I was not 25 minutes basically in the middle of nowhere, I would have left, but I stayed. I will say that this meal was not really to my taste and Chef Andoni's last book was "Clorofillia" so perhaps he is going through this stage.

gallery_30892_1808_985916.jpg

frozen vodka with carrot mousse

gallery_30892_1808_999176.jpg

clams in a broth perfumed with grapefruit

gallery_30892_1808_385097.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_331608.jpg

vegetables, oven roasted and raw, sprouts and greens, wild cultivated, seasoned with browned butter and dusted with seeds and petals. "Emmental" cheese generously seasoned{ the little flower on the rims of the bowl Berro de para}

I was instructed to dip the leaves in the broth and finish with the berro de para. After eating the berro de parra, my mouth was tingling for 3-5 minutes and I could not get the taste or feeling to stop with water, wine or bread.

gallery_30892_1808_1033017.jpg

Borrage leaves blanched in a shellfish bouillon. Pickled garlic petals and borage flowers

gallery_30892_1808_1247011.jpg

Burned and curdled cream with fig shoots and citric fruit powdered with ashes of vegetables and seaweed.

At this point, I really regreted not calling a cab when the foie was not on the menu. I really just feel that this style of food was not for me. I am in a camp that does not appreciate burned and curdled cream, in fact when scalding cream or milk in my kitchen, I really try not to burn it.

gallery_30892_1808_368224.jpg

Cod cheekand tripe stew. Crouton-like sopako, tomato and spicy parsley pistou soup

gallery_30892_1808_43127.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_1744733.jpg

Sauted sea cucumber, "vegetable carbon" and sweet shoots accompanied by "garlic casein".

I was told to eat the leaves and the vegetable charcoal seperately. Tip when offered vegetable charcoal skip it

gallery_30892_1808_669149.jpg

Rare tuna fillet in a concentrated fishbone stock. Lily shoots, leaves and flowers[ALlium, Tulbaghia]

gallery_30892_1808_54664.jpg

Loin of red mullet "goatfish", toasted and rested. Savory confit of rockfish and saffron. Grains of sea salt

gallery_30892_1808_1179465.jpg

Lamb trotter fraised in a salted toffee of lactose and fresh cream. Ragu of beets

Well......

gallery_30892_1808_1449538.jpg

French toast soaked in egg yolk, saute browned and caramelized accompanied by a reduced milk ice cream

This was the highlight of the meal and was really, really good

gallery_30892_1808_37301.jpg

The thawing of lychees and orange blossoms: A pistachio cake with lychee pulp, crystalized flowers and an ice cream dusting of orange blossoms

gallery_30892_1808_1571535.jpg

A cylinder of chocolate ice cream accompanied by a cream of almonds, another chocolate and lime

• 3 weeks later...
The first night in San Sebastian, we tried tapas and we went to Casa Gandarias and Bar La Cepa( supposedly Ferran Adria's favorite). My first few shots are of Casa Gandarias, which happened to be the place we enjoyed the most.

gallery_30892_2263_1368741.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_979739.jpg

The vibe in San Sebastian is great, people going from bar to bar for some pinchos and having a mellow good time

gallery_30892_2263_464205.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_1309154.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_149598.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_1155730.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_599906.jpg

Next we tried Bar La Cepa, after trying to go to La Cuchara de San Telmo which was highly recommended but not open that evening.

gallery_30892_2263_923357.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_850898.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_4896.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_538638.jpg

The ham is given a quick toast under the salamander before it is served to you

gallery_30892_2263_1042121.jpg

gallery_30892_2263_1033877.jpg

The next day after some cafe con leche and some postres in the hotel and a brief rest on la concha it was time for lunch and we headed to Akelare with Chef Pedro Subijana. In 1976, Pedro Subijana and Juan Mari Arzak, the chef at Arzak, attended a conference in Madrid. There, they approached guest speaker Paul Bocuse, who invited them to spend ten days with him in Lyons and learn about nouvelle cuisine. On their return to San Sebastián, Subijana and Arzak organized a group of colleagues in an effort to try to rescue and update traditional Basque cuisine. Soon, almost unaware, they’d initiated the New Basque Cuisine movement. Chef Subijana won Spain’s National Prize for Gastronomy as the best chef in the country more than 20 years ago and has been at the head of nouvelle basque cooking ever since. Akelare is on the highest point in San Sebastian overlooking the Bay of Biscay and has been awarded 2 Michelin stars. I am not sure which is more spectacular the view or the creations of Chef Subijana.

gallery_30892_2335_1066861.jpg

gallery_30892_2335_280523.jpg

gallery_30892_2335_781009.jpg

gallery_30892_2335_705067.jpg

gallery_30892_2335_1002254.jpg

gallery_30892_2335_3236.jpg

We ordered two different tasting menus-Aranori and Bekarki

First the Amuses:

gallery_30892_2335_1129114.jpg

Sardine with a pepper indigenous to the region/ Sardina Fresca Ahumada con Pesto de Borraja y Guindilla fresca

gallery_30892_2335_227636.jpg

blood sausage in a pastry/ Dama de Morcilla con Berza y Piparras

gallery_30892_2335_650241.jpg

Hamburger of cuttlefish/ Hamburguesa de Sepia con Nube de Gambas

gallery_30892_2335_577464.jpg

Yellow pepper soup/ Soluble de Pimiento

First course-

gallery_30892_2335_242827.jpg

Foie Gras with onion, apple and corn/ Foie con Cebolla, con Manzana, con Maiz

This was very good, I would liken this to Foie truffles

gallery_30892_2335_747893.jpg

Ostras en ensalada de acelga roja y quinoa-oysters in red swiss chard salad with quinoa

The oysters were great, but the swiss chard salad was not to my taste

Second Course-

gallery_30892_2335_67012.jpg

Moluscos al Vapor con Borraja/ Steamed Molluscs with borrage

Good flavors

gallery_30892_2335_252630.jpg

Xangurro frio con sabor de Mary Germinados/ Sea tasting crab and sprouts

very nice dish

Third Course-

gallery_30892_2335_232797.jpg

Chipiron confitado, con crema de arroz y albahaca/ marinated squid with rice cream and basil

squid was cooked perfectly and I liked the addition of some of the new techniques with this dish

gallery_30892_2335_227654.jpg

Caldo de Pochas, sus gnocchis y pichon/ white bean broth, its gnocchis and pigeon

Fourth Course-

gallery_30892_2335_951574.jpg

Rape con jugo de tomate asado y huevas de pimiento/ Monkfish with roasted tomato juice and red pepper roe

monkfish was perfect

gallery_30892_2335_764562.jpg

Atun en papel cebolla, con tamarillo/ tuna in onion paper and tamarillo

Fifth course

gallery_30892_2335_637722.jpg

La terneradel cocido con zanahoria y chirivia/ Veal shanks slow cooked with carrots and parsnips-carrots are stuffed with white rice

gallery_30892_2335_744246.jpg

Presa de Iberico al Aceite de regaliz, cintas de patatas,y boniato con chufa/ Pork shoulder, marinated tomato, oxalis and onion cube

This was the first time that I was served pork shoulder rare and it was very good.

Dessert

gallery_30892_2335_1363822.jpg

Queso de Cabra, ensalada dulce y helado de sesamo blanco/ goat cheese, sweet salad and white sesame ice cream

gallery_30892_2335_346276.jpg

red fruit yogurt

gallery_30892_2335_53862.jpg

Tambor de calanda

gallery_30892_2335_203814.jpg

Akelare biscotti served with coffee

Akelare was a fantastic meal, in fact I wanted to go back the next day to try some of the selections from the part of the menu that featured Subijana's take on regional dishes.

Arzak Restaurant

gallery_30892_1805_70744.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_56203.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_64089.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_103084.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_27691.jpg

Amuses-

gallery_30892_1805_78232.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_62252.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_57708.jpg

Cheese with dates, banana stuffed with fish mousse and puffed rice

gallery_30892_1805_766302.jpg

bacon wrapped orange

gallery_30892_1805_1183252.jpg

bean soup-very good

gallery_30892_1805_19779.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_1614999.jpg

Foie wrapped by zucchini-first time that I had this combination and it worked

gallery_30892_1805_49644.jpg

prawn legs delicious

gallery_30892_1805_86429.jpg

squid

gallery_30892_1805_1331136.jpg

poached egg with bread and mushroom

gallery_30892_1805_8293.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_22538.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_93412.jpg

Squid with Squid ink bread and mango with salsa of squid

gallery_30892_1805_68889.jpg

Rape con hilosy medula

gallery_30892_1805_75998.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_39264.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_1285754.jpg

Cordero con cafe"cortado"-lamb with a coffee veil and potato with mint

gallery_30892_1805_86663.jpg

El foie de pato a la naranja

gallery_30892_1805_82561.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_10900.jpg

Pichon con cera de colmena-pigeon with bees wax

gallery_30892_1805_81431.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_4292.jpg

Ternera mechada con leche de chufas-stewed veal with sweet potatoes

gallery_30892_1805_46262.jpg

tortilla fea de chocolate con lechuga

gallery_30892_1805_42348.jpg

hamgurguesa do chocolate

gallery_30892_1805_187973.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_88861.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_1357558.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_69343.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_42941.jpg

strawberry bubbles

gallery_30892_1805_20391.jpg

gallery_30892_1805_46141.jpg

naranja con espinacas

gallery_30892_1805_1207522.jpg

Arzak was a great dinner and lived up to its reputation. I liked his combination of new technique with well grounded dishes. I would highly recommend Arzak and Akelare.

My last lunch in San Sebastian was between Mugaritz and Martin Berastegui. I choose Mugaritz because of Chef Andoni's reputation as the Foie king. Mugaritz is 25 minutes outside of San Sebastian and may have been the best looking restaurant of the trip.

gallery_30892_1808_184775.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_79216.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_41770.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_28758.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_76621.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_22277.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_1460.jpg

I looked at the a la carte menu and the tasting menus and I did not find the one thing that drove me to Mugaritz-FOIE GRAS. I was told because it was summer that Foie is not on the menu because they charcoal it and it gets too hot. I have never been so disappointed with a menu omission in my life. If I was not 25 minutes basically in the middle of nowhere, I would have left, but I stayed. I will say that this meal was not really to my taste and Chef Andoni's last book was "Clorofillia" so perhaps he is going through this stage.

gallery_30892_1808_985916.jpg

frozen vodka with carrot mousse

gallery_30892_1808_999176.jpg

clams in a broth perfumed with grapefruit

gallery_30892_1808_385097.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_331608.jpg

vegetables, oven roasted and raw, sprouts and greens, wild cultivated, seasoned with browned butter and dusted with seeds and petals. "Emmental" cheese generously seasoned{ the little flower on the rims of the bowl Berro de para}

I was instructed to dip the leaves in the broth and finish with the berro de para. After eating the berro de parra, my mouth was tingling for 3-5 minutes and I could not get the taste or feeling to stop with water, wine or bread.

gallery_30892_1808_1033017.jpg

Borrage leaves blanched in a shellfish bouillon. Pickled garlic petals and borage flowers

gallery_30892_1808_1247011.jpg

Burned and curdled cream with fig shoots and citric fruit powdered with ashes of vegetables and seaweed.

At this point, I really regreted not calling a cab when the foie was not on the menu. I really just feel that this style of food was not for me. I am in a camp that does not appreciate burned and curdled cream, in fact when scalding cream or milk in my kitchen, I really try not to burn it.

gallery_30892_1808_368224.jpg

Cod cheekand tripe stew. Crouton-like sopako, tomato and spicy parsley pistou soup

gallery_30892_1808_43127.jpg

gallery_30892_1808_1744733.jpg

Sauted sea cucumber, "vegetable carbon" and sweet shoots accompanied by "garlic casein".

I was told to eat the leaves and the vegetable charcoal seperately. Tip when offered vegetable charcoal skip it

gallery_30892_1808_669149.jpg

Rare tuna fillet in a concentrated fishbone stock. Lily shoots, leaves and flowers[ALlium, Tulbaghia]

gallery_30892_1808_54664.jpg

Loin of red mullet "goatfish", toasted and rested. Savory confit of rockfish and saffron. Grains of sea salt

gallery_30892_1808_1179465.jpg

Lamb trotter fraised in a salted toffee of lactose and fresh cream. Ragu of beets

Well......

gallery_30892_1808_1449538.jpg

French toast soaked in egg yolk, saute browned and caramelized accompanied by a reduced milk ice cream

This was the highlight of the meal and was really, really good

gallery_30892_1808_37301.jpg

The thawing of lychees and orange blossoms: A pistachio cake with lychee pulp, crystalized flowers and an ice cream dusting of orange blossoms

gallery_30892_1808_1571535.jpg

A cylinder of chocolate ice cream accompanied by a cream of almonds, another chocolate and lime

• 13 years later...

Reviving this thread.  DH and I are in San Sebastián for a few days with quick side trips to nearby cute towns.  We landed in Bilbao late on Saturday and only had time for a quick bite and fell into deep sleep.  On Sunday we started our culinary adventure at Mugaritz.  We had one higher end wine pairing and it was more than enough for two people one of which is driving.   Wine pairing was very generous.  They really went all out.  At some point there were 9 glasses on our table from three back to back pairings: 3-4-2.  You will see.

The aforementioned 9 glasses

3D19C4C8-B54C-40F8-ACF6-906D84198785.jpeg.df55bdcb3262f573019e0fe6c09338dd.jpeg

The first five courses arrived together and were vegetarian driven.  The dark cake was avocado mousse like preparation covered with blue cheese mold and it had pepper infusion on top.

2313B4DB-E53C-4FF8-A041-9398AF60045C.thumb.jpeg.70ab76811df8232115567f3cbf632937.jpeg

Squid “silk” with seasonal flowers.

8E2192CC-974E-41CE-8CDE-070FAD006924.thumb.jpeg.39b49e4edcabc6b6761b0d9546a0defc.jpeg

Baby octopus 

EF2FD6D7-4DDF-4A75-B5BB-71BBD6FECAC3.thumb.jpeg.3813813ee250e7c300ae7fdd2a2a1d73.jpeg

“Olives” that were grapes witc cocoa nibs and vin santo

DDCE5F24-320B-4254-9047-48C2F9B7C73B.thumb.jpeg.771a9bfdb6a5b800fd8ce37a2d7b4c81.jpeg

Barely cooked lobster with shrimp sauce.

CAECD857-1DB1-4B6C-AAD7-84A714C5F279.thumb.jpeg.a216e41bf358c7771ccdfb63b463b4b2.jpeg

Different preparations of leek

61172BBB-0FA7-4703-82B9-D922C9B85383.thumb.jpeg.21e56aed2b80ba36404b83a209dc8eff.jpeg

Warm oyster with champagne granita

483ADB4C-8DA7-4E6D-89B4-7FB0237CDEB7.thumb.jpeg.cc4a4f153a593b6297fc019e0f752cc7.jpeg

Grouper

8D97A7F2-F341-4A43-B2F3-831D0E37C051.jpeg.e104a0a75763baaee573f56307ff9def.jpeg

Nori cooked in pork fat, pork tail terrine, pork loin cooked with gari

0F1FAEAE-D06D-4BC5-8CE7-3FCC459722F3.jpeg.c5a20c524f658560acafc9abb44a0aa8.jpeg

octopus crumb eaten out out of hand paired with Rioja.  This is when we started to take wine pictures.

B0B22C5E-DAC8-4771-AD08-79A4202FB25E.jpeg.1839a3fdd2be2d30c7d4d35e295bf575.jpeg

6FED0BA3-759E-49A1-AFAE-044E5275011A.thumb.jpeg.1e3c4af5ccdcf554824eb9973cf6f8c9.jpeg

Pigeon fried in sour dough.

99935855-D8BC-466F-B198-E291DEE1682C.thumb.jpeg.994f3dc29b86094a861139925ccd9896.jpeg

Skate paired with four Pinot

36142894-C0C4-418E-9D39-9A214DDFEFBB.thumb.jpeg.e3d712ec0ef4a0d7935a72134bac2c67.jpeg

83663547-105C-4036-9874-2F63C808ACD7.thumb.jpeg.81ccae1ead7ea3cefc232f5eaba03093.jpeg

256452F3-A21B-4A97-8472-02C26E2E98A8.thumb.jpeg.721c14ea64ef96de9af776c9415a83c6.jpeg

Roasted pepper paired with three cabs

D20B5A11-3EE1-4686-937B-176DFCE2DB63.jpeg.d67a0c21be32e1428d44c61ea9dba4bf.jpeg

7877C67B-632F-409C-9371-29E20682A1A2.jpeg.83eba875542b6d0f2cb72fbf2e8e205f.jpeg

Beef tendon and piece of beef paired with Chardonnay 

37E36EAE-65EB-4BB5-AEB5-9B71E8E6FB2E.thumb.jpeg.f1f567ea27ce85bbe3f7b23be86fb573.jpeg

5EF35971-B651-42AD-8B41-64880929F2E2.thumb.jpeg.35f69ce2c1b8351497181b7a060746dc.jpeg

1AC522DF-9616-414B-94C1-17D90E2E6F1A.jpeg

F8443C0A-F222-40B3-AF58-7AC75CE6DFBB.jpeg

AA4F3B3E-BDAA-4519-9A37-1B3E4091F75F.jpeg

• Like 5

This is when we were invited to visit the kitchen.

A63395F5-C7A2-4AD4-9FA9-42BD454B8DD0.jpeg.85d372ddc9b7e0aa04f95d0a4b302c71.jpeg

Then a small kinda sweet dish of red beans 

4B8B4F45-148E-4E91-9D66-1AF53B8B7677.thumb.jpeg.11eb892d05a9e6967aaef2cfbcf8099a.jpeg

And after that we were escorted to a rum cask.  

Rum was paired with vanilla bean that was magically stuffed with butter and vanilla seeds while appearing intact.

43B4461D-7DC6-43B4-9010-B2601B48BF34.thumb.jpeg.81ce79e58920deaf8bea1c439cad7eae.jpeg

B078144C-0ED5-44B4-BB5B-7C638CF67796.thumb.jpeg.0dbf2a058a27529ea8029afa81c37c1f.jpeg

• Like 6

And the last course, seven different chocolates, was served outside.

9F19D6B7-432C-4BB8-B5DD-BA61174933FC.thumb.jpeg.dc0b7fc7d7c5c2932a27c17d65802635.jpeg

3C68026E-0827-4E0A-8C71-ECDA82896D49.jpeg.d4a4974515a280ad0b48f3c9b4dd9681.jpeg

B1B40590-C442-462E-9A53-A3B8F2CDEE58.jpeg.aa76473df763a4d5772077ec3acb527a.jpeg

Wow!  I was completely mesmerized by the whole experience.   Not sure why Michelin downgraded Mugaritz from three to two stars.  I live in Washington DC area and Inn at Little Washington got three stars while not being anywhere near Mugaritz level.  Oh well, politics in food.

Edited by chefmd (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A simple dinner of Talo, typical Basque food made from scratch in the city square.  One with bacon and cheese and one with txistorra and cheese.  The menu was in Spanish and Euskara/Basque only but there were clearly posted signs “gluten free” in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talo_(food)

C7E55A3A-53D9-4C81-8722-C0957F93B6BB.thumb.jpeg.aa7ba1cf8b770483682540e4bde8efb1.jpeg

3E4ADC48-2B3C-4B3D-BB5A-9057507DDBD8.thumb.jpeg.a5448ebdb2ddef7349a7cff02cba6346.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Morning coffee and evening glass of Rioja on the balcony of our booking.com apartment.  3.50 Euro wine is lovely.  Gotta save money for fancy meals ;).  But seriously, the wine is just fine.

95542407-19E5-47F4-BFCF-3CFD9C5A1B33.thumb.jpeg.453fef32dcb1fd10623b668ef5b01281.jpeg

8B2C8A44-FF37-4A0C-8B59-C48CE475FE9E.thumb.jpeg.0db4c9dc36e88bfd56d8c46af8245725.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Stunning. 

I have been tracking online and texting with a friend who is walking the Northern Pilgrimage Route of the Camino de Santiago, from the Pyrenees to Compostela. He reports jamon iberico for breakfast and lunch. I am so envious.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com