• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Triangle

BryanZ

I need all types of Mexican restaurants in the Triangle, specifically Durham. I'm working on a big project on a short deadline and anything that's "South of the Border" will suffice. It's sad to say but I'm looking for as many restaurants as possible with quality being a secondary concern. So pretty please, start naming away ASAP. As much information as possible is always appreciated.

Triangle.com

Certainly, Arandas rates at or near the top as a taqueria. For starters, only a handful of Triangle eateries can claim to make their own corn tortillas fresh daily, as Arandas does. A little thicker than mass-produced tortillas and decidedly more redolent of earthy corn flavor, these provide the extra touch that spells the difference between a very good taco and a great one

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I haven't lived in the Triangle since '96, but I can vouch for Chapel Hill's El Rodeo. I just hope they haven't gone downhill since I was there.

I still have friends in the area, so if you haven't passed your deadline, I can ask around.

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I am a big fan of Super Taqueria. The tongue taco and pork taco are top notch, as is the condiment bar. I do get funny looks in there, since I am always the only non-Mexican in the place. Check out the Sunday special......usually ceviche.

Thanks for the help, but my little showcase came out today.  I found Super Taqueria, at the corner of N Roxboro and Bon Air Rds to be the best all around.  A very enjoyable, and unexpected, experience.

BryanZ,

Say, I was interested in reading your review in the Chronicle but I cannot seem to get a full-size version of the article to show up on the screen or to print out. Is that just the way the archived articles work or am I doing something wrong? Would you mind providing a link to the reviews for all us egulleters to see.

thanks

The tongue taco and condiment bar at Super Taqueria are excellent. And imagine the looks I got in that place walking in with my camera and pen for notetaking.

As for the link to the article, it was a showcase of local Durham taquerias. Unfortunately, they scanned in the article poorly without uploading the text separately. There's not a whole lot there, however, since it was more about locating and highlight some of the best taquerias in the area. With that said, I found Super Taqueria to be the best, by far.

If anyone is at all interested, I have a couple more short pieces that are archived online www.chronicle.duke.edu. The're short reviews for Grasshopper and Loco Pops, but I will continue to write throughout the year.