• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate tart shells

Patrick S

I would like to make mini tart shells out of white chocolate, to be filled with pastry cream. What is the simplest way to do this? Can I just melt some white chocolate, pour a bit into a chilled mini-muffin cup, swirl it around while it sets, and then tap it out? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I would like to make mini tart shells out of white chocolate, to be filled with pastry cream. What is the simplest way to do this? Can I just melt some white chocolate, pour  a bit into a chilled mini-muffin cup, swirl it around while it sets, and then tap it out?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

if that is the method u choose to use..make sure u butter the pan...if you dont..there is a chance it will stick..on the other hand..it just may blend into whatever the filling is that you use..hard to say...experimentation is a wonderful thing

a recipe is merely a suggestion

I would just melt the white chocolate and brush it into those little paper cup things used for chocolates or for mini cupcakes. Just brush some in put it in the fridge to harden and repeat a couple of times until you have a thick enough coating. The paper should just peel right off.

I would just melt the white chocolate and brush it into those little paper cup things used for chocolates or for mini cupcakes. Just brush some in put it in the fridge to harden and repeat a couple of times until you have a thick enough coating. The paper should just peel right off.

I tried several methods and this is the one that worked best. I made several shells this way, and found that I had to make them fairly thick (about 1/8"), otherwise the shells broke apart when I peeled the paper off. I found it took me several coats to get a thick coating, so I ended up spending way more time than I think is really practical on the shells. I'm sure that's mostly a function of my inexperience working with chocolate, of course, but I'm still looking for a quicker way.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Take a look at this demo thread. Scroll downward and right before she shows you how to use the balloons she shows you how to mold using a sponge wrapped in plastic to make small cups. I first saw this demonstrated by Chef Wybau and was supprised by how quick and easy this method was.

I think dipping the sponge is quicker then painting on layers. You can double dip it if it's too thin, but thin is good. Releasing is easier too, in my opinion.

You can not mold tempered chocolate in a buttered container.

You must temper your chocolate if your setting and keeping these at room temp.. You can work with chocolate with-out tempering it. But then you must use the refridgerator (or freezer) to set your chocolate.

You can not EASILY mold chocolate in any ole container, like a muffin tin. It must be a smooth scratch-free surface or the chocolate will stick to the surface.

Take a look at this demo thread. Scroll downward and right before she shows you how to use the balloons she shows you how to mold using a sponge wrapped in plastic to make small cups. I first saw this demonstrated by Chef Wybau and was supprised by how quick and easy this method was.

Hi Wendy,

Yes, Mette's demo that you reference above looks great. See also Chef Wybauw's book Fine Chocolates, Great Experience, Caramel snobinettes, p. 160.

I like the technique using balloons but a friend of mine pointed out that some people have an allergy to latex so using the balloons could be a problem.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Amazing. Somehow I missed that thread the first time around. Thanks.