• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pebetes

Well guys and girls I miss my pebetes or pancitos de viena especially those loaded with nice well cured jamon serrano and sliced cheese :biggrin:

I snicking around some Jap/Chinese baking sites to get some similar formula but up to now no success.

What about yuo people? Do you have a recipe to share? :cool:

Thanks

Edited by piazzola (log)

Are you just looking for the recipe for the bread? I tend to think of pebetes as ham and cheese sandwiches on a long white bread roll that you pick up at a kiosk for a peso or so...

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

Are you just looking for the recipe for the bread? I tend to think of pebetes as ham and cheese sandwiches on a long white bread roll that you pick up at a kiosk for a peso or so...

Yes! Thats the correct assumption.

Yeah looks easy however it is not the true recipe but only an approximation

Oh well I'll have ro work hard to get my experiment right

One of these days I will

Thanks

what do you mean by the "true" recipe?

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

One of these days I will

Thanks

Como de panaderia my friend

Found an old article in Clarin newspaper but dunno if it is good though it refers to

harina 0000 and I have no clue as to what values this flour has

Care to comment on this flour?

Is it strong, bread or weak flour?

gluten properties?

Ash content or cenizas?

Starch or almidon?

extraction rate%?

Thanks

Edited by piazzola (log)

One of these days I will

Thanks

Como de panaderia my friend

Found an old article in Clarin newspaper but dunno if it is good though it refers to

harina 0000 and I have no clue as to what values this flour has

Care to comment on this flour?

Is it strong, bread or weak flour?

gluten properties?

Ash content or cenizas?

Starch or almidon?

extraction rate%?

Thanks

but how do you know it's an approximation and not the 'true recipe'? why not just try it and see if you like the result, and start tweaking until you find something you like.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

but how do you know it's an approximation and not the 'true recipe'? why not just try it and see if you like the result, and start tweaking until you find something you like.

I said there is no type of flour specified nor the rolling of the dough typically used for pebetes nor the chunio is used.So there you go few things already found otherwise I'll be making Chinese nuns for all I know. Not that I don't like Chinese buns but that's not what I want at the moment

I said there is no type of flour specified nor the rolling of the dough typically used for pebetes nor the chunio is used.So there you go few things already found otherwise I'll be making Chinese nuns for all I know. Not that I don't like Chinese buns but that's not what I want at the moment

chunio?

chunio?

Para el chuño, hervir el agua. Aparte, disolver el almidón con dos cucharadas de agua fría en un bol. Volcar de golpe el agua hirviendo y batir hasta que la mezcla se vuelva translúcida. Reservar a temperatura ambiente para pintar los panes con esta preparación

I have a bag of Harina 0000. It's really just all-purpose white flour, perhaps slightly more finely ground than usual. But it's not specifically bread or pastry flour.

As to chuño, I think of that as something totally different. For me, chuños are Andean potatoes that have been fermented in the ground, dried, and then reconstituted as part of sauces, or side dishes - common in Peru and Bolivia. They're a very strange chalky texture, and quite oddly flavored. On the other hand, my dictionary just lists chuño as "potato starch," so I guess the former usage is more colloquial.

You might want to just do an internet search for breads that combine flour and potato starch, there are lots and lots of them out there. Then just experiment until you find one you like.

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

I went through my various baking books and finally found a recipe for Pan de Viena which states that it is "para pebetes." Haven't tried the recipe, but sounds like it's what you're looking for. I'm going to leave it to you to translate...

Ingredientes

1 kg de harina

60 g de azucar

45 g de levadura

20 g de sal

600 cc de agua

100g de margarina

Chuño

500 cc de agua

50 g de almidon de maiz

preparacion

En un bol o amasadora colocar la harina, el azucar, la levadura, la sal, el agua y la margarina. Mezclar bien para obenter una masa suave y homogenea. Dar 10 vueltas de palote o sobadora.

Cortar la masa de acuerdo con el tipo de pan que se desee elaborar, respetando los siguientes gramajes por pieza: 90 g para pebetes (2 docenas) .... Bollar suavemente, tapar y dejar reposar alrededor de 15 minutos.

Dar la forma definitiva y estibar en placas engrasadas. Dejar fermentar a 30C de temperatura y 70% de humedadad relativa hasta que alcancen el doble de su volumen.

Hornear a 200C de 15-20 minutos, segu el tamano. Al retirar del horno, pintar con chuño o con una mezcla de agua y huevo en partes iguales.

Chuño: Calentar 250 cc de agua. Diluir el almidon de maiz en el agua restante, fria. Añadir al agua caliente y revolver hasta que rompa el hervor. Retirar del fuego y utilizar.

Hope that helps ya'.

Doesn't mention cake flour in the recipe, and it does for other recipes, so I think this one is just regular flour.

As for trying it, you're the one who wanted to make 'em, I'll leave that to you.