• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best Texas barbecue

Kent Wang

Snows brisket was really good. But the ribs were not good at all. The sausage wasn't so hot, either. Honeslty, we were kinda dissappointed with it, given the hype and the long drive very early in the AM to get there. Still, we were glad we gave it a try. City Meat Market in Giddings was OK. Brisket chewy. Sausage decent. Much better than Snows. My understanding is that Snows gets sausage from there. So, clearly, there were smoking issues with it up the road in Lexington.

Franklin was really that good. Even after all the meat we packed away the two days prior, it was quite obivous to everyone that it reigned supreme.

Yeah, if I was rating places just on the brisket, Snow's was probably my second best place after Franklin. But it sank pretty far down in the ratings looking at the whole three-meat experience, well behind City Market in Luling, which was consistently good across the board. I was impressed with both City Market and Franklin's for both being able to give us barbecue that we enjoyed even when both were experienced by a crowd that was already getting more than a little weary of barbecue.

Hi Kaszeta,

Welcome to the eGullet Society. I'm glad you joined our ranks to share your experiences with Central Texas BBQ. It's always good to get perspectives from other people. We all have things we like and don't like. And we don't always agree on what is good or not so good. Of course, frequently we do. And I know we all agreed Franklin was the champ this trip.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 5 months later...

On Labor day, I made a return visit to Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff (Dallas). This time, I skipped the ribs and only ordered brisket (moist) and a link of Kruez sausage. The brisket was really great. Tender. juicy. falvorful. Better than what I had on the first visit. Some of the best I have had in Dallas. It's on par with Pecan Lodge. Really, I think those are two very solid places that are within the city limits.

• 7 months later...

I just returned from Smitty's and Kreuz, having eaten at Franklin yesterday. Judging BBQ is a pain in part because there is so much variability in the quality depending on things like wind direction and speed. It's fascinating to read back through this topic to see where others' experience has been the same as my own and where it differs. Franklin had the best texture of the three, in my opinion, but I have a preference for brisket that has been broken down just to the point of falling apart: this is not the style at Smitty's or Kreuz. Unfortunately, I found the bark to be much too salty at Franklin. At Smitty's I thought they cooked the brisket too hot and too fast, it was borderline tough. Kreuz, our last stop, split the difference and was our clear favorite. I like Smitty's sausage the best because it took real advantage of the smoke flavor. None of the sausage had a particularly good texture, but that's the norm for this sausage style it seems. I did not sample the ribs, pork, etc. at any of these places.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I just returned from Smitty's and Kreuz, having eaten at Franklin yesterday. Judging BBQ is a pain in part because there is so much variability in the quality depending on things like wind direction and speed. It's fascinating to read back through this topic to see where others' experience has been the same as my own and where it differs. Franklin had the best texture of the three, in my opinion, but I have a preference for brisket that has been broken down just to the point of falling apart: this is not the style at Smitty's or Kreuz. Unfortunately, I found the bark to be much too salty at Franklin. At Smitty's I thought they cooked the brisket too hot and too fast, it was borderline tough. Kreuz, our last stop, split the difference and was our clear favorite. I like Smitty's sausage the best because it took real advantage of the smoke flavor. None of the sausage had a particularly good texture, but that's the norm for this sausage style it seems. I did not sample the ribs, pork, etc. at any of these places.

CHRIS ! you went all the way to Lockhart and you didnt go to BLACKS ?

why?

Its usually the best of the bunch in Lockhart....the brisket is usually top of the heap.

I can only take so much brisket: two lunches was plenty for me! I'm going to have to eat vegetarian for a week to recover as it is. Jeff, the flavor of all three briskets was excellent, I wouldn't choose one over the other on that basis, especially considering the dramatic textural differences.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I can only take so much brisket: two lunches was plenty for me! I'm going to have to eat vegetarian for a week to recover as it is. Jeff, the flavor of all three briskets was excellent, I wouldn't choose one over the other on that basis, especially considering the dramatic textural differences.

I guess it must be me but ... i cant leave any destination food joint without taking something home. LOL

sorry you didnt think to stop at Blacks just for a bit of brisket to take with you.

On your next trip.... dont forget to include Blacks...... i think you'll enjoy it.

On your next trip.... dont forget to include Blacks...... i think you'll enjoy it.

Black's has amazing turkey and beef rib too. They're very very nice about letting people take pictures of their smoker, and the owner even found and commented on our blog post when we got back from our road trip and posted them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back in Austin for another BBQ run. Friday wasn't spent in Lockhart or Luling. Not in Taylor or Elgin. It was spent all within the city of Austin. And we didn't even go to Franklin. But we had some great BBQ.

IMG_3270-20120513-094640.jpg

IMG_3271-20120513-094729.jpg

IMG_3268-20120513-094832.jpg

First up is J Mueller BBQ. A cart/trailer setup on South 1st street. John Mueller has an interesting past. Descendent of BBQ royalty in Taylor, TX. He had a place in Austin several years ago. But that closed. Now he is back. And it's great. Very good brisket. Some of the best lean I've ever had. The sausage? That was the best central Texas style BBQ sausage I've ever had. Good beef rib too. The family's signature heavy with black pepper rub is present here. I'm a big fan of it, so it works for me. But others are less enthusiastic.

IMG_3276-20120513-100116.jpg

IMG_3275-20120513-100153.jpg

After J. Mueller, we headed to North Austin to Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew on North Lamar. Not sure how long this place has been around. But if you have seen 'Dazed and Confused', you are familiar with the actual building. Stiles Switch is located in what was the pool hall in that film. There is no pool now, but there is still beer. And some very respectable BBQ.

BBQ in Austin proper is getting better. And that's a good thing.

Really late to this thread, but add another vote for franklin's. Ive been living in Austin for about a year now and they are definitely the best game in town, although at times Im not sure they are worth the sometimes INSANE lines you are forced to wait in.

We hit Franklin today. Bypassed the line and wait by pre-ordering. They make you do it by whole briskets. We go two. Wound up with 9.85 lbs of awesome BBQ goodness.

• 1 month later...

From a Dallas perspective:

I thought sonny bryans was good, odoms was great near oak cliff, and mike andersons was amazing. Smoke is on my list to try, pecan lodge was also fantastic.