• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best Texas barbecue

Kent Wang

• 1 month later...

Louie Mueller's definitely has the best ambiance and vibe of all the top barbecue joints.

gallery_36558_3077_80481.jpg

Stopped in at Kreuz while on the way to the Valley.

gallery_36558_3077_72727.jpg

Pork chops were nice and smokey, though a little too salty around the edges. Brisket was very dry, just like last time. Sausage was good, nice snap, not as juicy and fatty as Elgin sausages though.

Went to City Market in Luling on the way back.

gallery_36558_3077_111918.jpg

gallery_36558_3077_180902.jpg

gallery_36558_3077_22657.jpg

gallery_36558_3077_135941.jpg

Sweet, well-carmelized crust on both pork ribs and brisket. Brisket was on the dry side. Pork ribs were some of the best I've had. Unfortunately, they were out of sausage.

My updated rankings (number in brackets indicates number of visits):

1. Cooper's (Mason) [1]

2. Louie Mueller's (Taylor) [5]

3. Black's (Lockhart) [2]

4. John Mueller's (Austin, temporarily closed) [20]

5. City Market (Luling) [1]

6. Smitty's (Lockhart) [1]

7. Southside Market (Elgin) [2]

8. Kreuz Market (Lockhart) [2]

9. Crosstown BBQ (Elgin) [1]

10. Sam's BBQ (Austin) [5]

I believe this is the last major Central Texas barbecue joint that I'm crossing off my list. The question now is where to next? Maybe Cooper's in Llano, House Park in Austin (right under my nose) and of course lots of return trips to "gather more datapoints". :raz:

If you want to try something knew then how about a trip to Houston for some BBQ comparisons? Its different style que but there are some great one nonetheless.

1. Williams BBQ on Wheatley in Acres Homes area. Great ribs, good brisket and very good sides.

2. Thelmas on Live Oak for HUGE portions with very good briskett and smokin good fried catfish.

3. Goode Co. on Kirby for overall good que from brisket to sausage, turkey, and ribs, they do it all good. Also probably has the sides hall of fame and great pecan pies as well.

4. Burns on De Priest for good solid que.

5. There are a couple area bbq trailers like the one in Dickinson, the one in cleveland and the one in Washington on the Brazos near College Station.

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned this many times over the years, but the spouse's family is from Lockhart, and when we tried to rehab the ancestral home several years ago, a big highlight of the day was guessing where lunch came from based on the color of butcher paper in which it was wrapped.

I have always said previously that for fatty and lean you must stand in line at Kreuz's, but for chops, rings and the best prime rib it is better to go back to the fire at Smitty's.

NOW, after having a holiday brisket from Luling City Market, I have to reconsider my opinion and say for the record that you should only have lean or fatty from those good folks there. I tip my winter felt to anyone that can make me and mine step away from the Lockhart BBQ and know the real winner. Can meat be so, ambrosia-ish, or am I too far gone in the carnivore way? tsk! C'est la guerre.. :smile: ...

Smitty's has some serious devotees!

gallery_36558_3077_1155.jpg

gallery_36558_3077_144261.jpg

The meat wasn't very good though. Both the brisket and ribs were too chewy, probably cooked at too high heat, doesn't fall apart the way slow-smoked meat does.

I've found Sam's to be my new favorite Austin que, with John gone. I hope he is able to take care of everything and head back this way. The Lockhart triangle is still my favorite, with Kruez porkchops and prime rib being my favorite. I grew up on Coopers Llano and still haven't been to Mason. But Louie Mueller's would definitely be my close second. Opie's in Spicewood is good as well, basically the same menu as Coopers Llano and very comparable in flavor, perhaps not as consistent. I love the turkey sausage at Inmans in Marbe Falls also. I wouldn't normally say something like that, but it's very good. :-)

• 6 months later...

After reading a lot of this thread, I have a question....Beef ribs....

I got some in a store 7 or 8 mo ago..They looked just like pork"spare ribs"

I did them just like pork ribs. Pull the silver skin, dry rub, and smoke at 250 for 4 hrs or so and then the foil wrap for a couple hrs more...

They were spectacular.....I have never found beef ribs like this since....

Any idea what they were??????I Got some that were from the prime rib, that were not it, and beef back ribs were not it ...

so I would be open for suggestions...

Budl

Going or coming from Houston Hinze's Barbeque & Catering 2101 Highway 36 S Sealy, TX 77474, right off I 10 is the place for pork ribs. They are usually out of this world.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Going or coming from Houston Hinze's Barbeque & Catering 2101 Highway 36 S Sealy, TX 77474, right off I 10 is the place for pork ribs.  They are usually out of this world.

Jmahl

They are going to build one on 290 also-I saw the sign a couple days ago. Seems like it was between Brenham and Giddings, which, btw, is home to one of my faves, the Giddings Meat Market, on 290 @ Hwy 77.

Also, I stopped in Mikeska's on I-10 in Columbus a few weeks ago, expecting the usual dried brisket, and was pleasantly surprised to have some of the best brisket I have had in a long time. Maybe it was an anomaly, but it was excellent. Perfect smoke ring(1/4"), and even the ends were moist and tender. I couldn't believe it. I will try it again soon just to make sure.

Frank in Austin

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in my post about a few recent meals in the Austin area, http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=105587

"The best BBQ in a long time was had in Elgin, Texas at Southside Market & BBQ on 290, which is part of Meyer’s BBQ; famous for their sausage…. The brisket and sausage was as good as I’ve had anywhere! The brisket was flavorful, tender and juicy. I liked their sauce, too; slightly hot and slightly vinegary. Everything was well smoked and flavorful. I have eaten Q all over the Hill Country and twice at Cooper’s in Llano. I think this brisket measured up to all of them!"

Every dog can have their day, and I have only eaten here about three times over ten years, but to me, it was their day on July 31. I and my brothers all cook Q and do a decent job of it. We have all eaten at prime "Q" joints in Austin, the Hill Country, and not to mention Ft. Worth and Dallas. We had a family get-together in Elgin (where I was born) and agreed that it was "some fine brisket"! All the meats had fantastic smoky flavors. We had the beef ribs, pork ribs, brisket and sausage and shared meat all around. The sausage had a little heat and was excellent.

The pork rib was quite large; as big as the beef rib. Pork is far and away my favorite and it was good. The beef rib had a thick and heavily smoked crust; way towards burned. A little too much smoking for my taste, but it was pretty tender inside and very flavorful. I think it should have been trimmed some.

I think that a one-time experience may not be indicative of the quality and flavor that a place may have to offer. Dry brisket is easy to do! So to all that rush to judgement I would say: try a place two or three times before either condemning it or deifying it.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 3 weeks later...

I am visiting a friend who lives in Hewitt, Texas in late November, and we are going to be going to Austin for a day. I've read through this thread but am unsure if there's a place en route from Hewitt into Austin that may have better BBQ than the Austin Q joints discussed in this thread. (Is Luling or Lockhart anywhere near these two cities, for example?)

I am also hoping to go somewhere like Nubian Queen Lola's Cajun or Hoover's for southern food, perhaps for lunch.

I only have one day in Austin and my friend is not that into food, so I would feel bad if I dragged her around to places that are too far out of the way, especially since she's driving.

Hewitt is due north of Austin. Luling and Lockhart are south and south-east, so would be out of your way, though Lockhart is only 30 miles away. You could also take a detour from Hewitt to Austin by going to Taylor for Louie Mueller's which I think is slightly better than any of the Lockhart places. Taylor is northeast of Austin, so you would go about 20 miles out of the way to do it.

But if you just want to stay in Austin, Sam's BBQ is the place to go, and it's open very late. I'd say the Sam's is in my top ten, while Mueller's and Lockhart are in my top five.

Definitely do Lola's before Hoover's.

Schoepf's BBQ is in Belton, TX which is between Hewitt and Austin.  Easy on, easy off of I-35.

good stuff.

Yes. I stopped there last Sunday and had pork ribs and sausage. They were out of brisket. The pork ribs were worth the trip. While I enjoyed the jalapeno sausage, they cook it but don't make it themselves, and I did not ask who did. The potato salad was okay, but a little bland in texture and flavor for my taste. I liked the coleslaw a bit better. Great jalapeno cornbread, too.

I believe Lola's the Nubian Queen is just down the street from Sam's!

WHAT?! Excellent news. I can hit two places for dinner! Or maybe Lola's for dinner, and Sam's at 2am after the clubs.

I might have time to get bbq at Schoepf's too!

My friend in Austin asked her husband where his favourite bbq was and he said Stubb's. Any thoughts on this place?

I don't think Austin is prepared for your voracious appetite, Ling! :raz:

Stubb's is a famous music venue that also serves barbecue. Go for the music, not the food. When it comes to barbecue and tex-mex in Texas, everyone's got an opinion.

What's great about both Sam's and Lola's is the interesting character of the staff. Of course, the food can certainly stand on its own but both of these places are also terrific experiences.

I dunno. To come that far and not just drive a little further and hit Lockhart, with not one, not two, but three solid (two of them the top tier) barbecue joints? As into food as you are, Ling, I think you owe it to yourself to get out there, picky friend be damned. When's the next time you're out this way?

Though to complicate things even further, these places close waaaaay early on weekends. Maybe lunch would be better.

I would hit Muellers in Taylor. You have to get there early though because you risk them runnung out. When Muellers is on they are as good as anyone.

Sam's is cool but IMO its more the Sams experience at 1 am after a little too many drinks. Sauce here from what I remember is awesome. I also remember the ribs being very good.

I would hit Muellers in Taylor. You have to get there early though because you risk them running out. When Muellers is on they are as good as anyone.

Good idea, and you can swing wide while coming south from Hewett and hit Taylor. Although most Texas BBQ buffs think that when everybody is "on," the top Lockhart joints are better than Mueller's, Scarbor is right that Mueller's can be as good as anyone, and it's always in everyone's "top five." Also, it's wonderfully atmospheric, so you get the authentic, even legendary, Texas BBQ meat market experience.

If your schedule works out so that you can stop through Taylor on your way south, I'd join Scarbor in recommending it.

But if not, and if you've come all the way to Austin, I'd strongly advise you to drive to Lockhart, rather than backtrack to Taylor. Even if you assume that Mueller's is as good as Lockhart, the "Lockhart Experience" usually involves grabbing a quick test bite at three famous BBQ Temples, something that Taylor cannot offer.

And Lockhart is closer.

A thought - Ling, are you flying out of Austin? If so, Lockhart is about 30-40 minutes south from the airport and, depending upon your flight time, of course, perhaps it would fit into your itinerary to rise early and hit Lockhart before you depart.

But as others have said, remember that many of these BBQ spots close early, and often run out of the best (moist) brisket long before that - often in early afternoon - so plan to get there as early as you comfortably can. I'd suggest before noon, if possible.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I apologize in advance if I am mixing up BBQ restaurant names and city names, but I am terrible with names of any sort and directions just confuse me even more. :shock: From what I understand:

-Hewitt is north of Austin

-Taylor is NE of Austin, and Mueller's is located in Taylor. Mueller's > Sam's in Austin

-Lockhart is 30-40 minutes south of Austin. Lockhart has 3 top-tier BBQ joints, all generally > Mueller's > Sam's

Here is my rough schedule:

Thursday, Nov. 28th 3pm - fly into Waco airport, and I'm staying in Hewitt at my friend's house

Friday, Nov. 29th - this is our day in Austin, and they've given me free reign on restaurants...I believe I requested Nubian Queen Lola's for dinner

Saturday, Nov. 30th - we are going to San Antonio (is this anywhere near Lockhart? I checked a map and I see the San Antonio is also south of Austin!), my friend wants to take me to a Tex-Mex restaurant

Sunday, Dec. 1st - we are dropping off our other friend at the Austin airport, and then we were going to go to Sam's (although now I'm not so anxious to go there!)

Thanks so much for all your help...please let me know when I could best fit in a meal at Lockhart or at Mueller's!

Edited by Ling (log)

At some point, you've got to do Tex-Mex in Austin or San Antonio.

One does not live on "Q" alone.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...