• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed cabbage

Malawry

There is another thread on stuffed cabbage rolls here along with my opinion on the best way to manage large heads where you may not want to waste any at post No. 132.

Host's note: Thanks for the Crepe's specific post is this one.

Edited by Smithy
Added direct link to post in question (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Thanks! My problem right now is that I am only finding really small sized heads (grapefruit sized) at the store right now. Ironic because about two weeks ago, I got a lovely really large head at the dollar store -which I made into coleslaw for a potluck. I'm gonna be stuck making tiny rolls the size of stuffed grape leaves, or, buying a bunch of small heads and hollowing them out to stuff then serving them cut in quarters.

I remember somebody else said it worked like a dream, I just don't know who. There must be another thread on cabbage. I have a huge one in the fridge right now, not sure I have a pot that will contain it, so I had also been thinking about freezing. (But I'll have to empty the freezer first.)

Last time I made stuffed cabbage, I did freeze it. It didn't get as soft as it would be if boiled, but worked well.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Thanks! My problem right now is that I am only finding really small sized heads (grapefruit sized) at the store right now. Ironic because about two weeks ago, I got a lovely really large head at the dollar store -which I made into coleslaw for a potluck. I'm gonna be stuck making tiny rolls the size of stuffed grape leaves, or, buying a bunch of small heads and hollowing them out to stuff then serving them cut in quarters.

The last time I made cabbage rolls my head of cabbage was pretty small.  See this post.  The leaves are really bigger than you think ( or at leas to me they were ) and they made decent sized rolls.

• Like 1

I remember somebody else said it worked like a dream, I just don't know who. There must be another thread on cabbage. I have a huge one in the fridge right now, not sure I have a pot that will contain it, so I had also been thinking about freezing. (But I'll have to empty the freezer first.)

That was me :)  

Seriously, I won't use any other method.  The only thing is it take pre-planning.  A day in the freezer and a day to thaw (in the fridge, out of the fridge is probably faster).

• Like 1