• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what's next?

Now that you're out of the restaurant on most nights, have traveled the world, and have Hollywood nipping at your heels...what else is cooking?  The LH cookbook and...more travel, second honeymoon, private security and hanging with P.Diddy? (If I see you chugging Crystal from the bottle, I'll smack the taste out of your mouth!)  You've no doubt had offers of doing your own place- can we get a sample of your dream menu?  Thank you for many, many laughs and your honesty.  My chef and I quote from the book of Tony.

I'm planning on running away for over two months of incommunicado relaxation to do jack-shit beyond catching up on my reading and hanging out with my wife. I intend to eat NO meal where the establishment requires footwear of ANY kind--(to include sandals). I plan to risk skin cancer by exposing myself to the sun without benefit of protection..sun stroke by drinking heavily in direct sunlight...and future penury by ignoring all offers of work or publicity. (Just turned down a major pharma today who wanted me to hawk pain-killers and stomach medicine for travellers). When I get back--I guess I'll continue milking this writer/TV shit for as long as they let me. Things go sour I can always go back to steak frites.

abourdain

Dear Tony:

I recently finished reading "Kitchen Confidential", which had me laughing aloud and read sections to my husband. I'm a culinary school grad and your book made me realize why I'd never last 5 minutes in a kitchen.

What do you like to cook at home? More shanks, bones, and hooves, perhaps? Or do you leave it to Nancy?

Grace  :wow:

As I don't have a dishwasher, or commis or minions willing to mop my brow and wash pots after me when at home--I usually confine my cooking to one-pot French classics like blanquette de veau, boeuf bourgignonne, daube..or simple roasts, grilled stuff...In fact, I've only recently started cooking at home. Thanks to my new swinging vida loca, I am not always comatose in my leisure hours.

abourdain

By the way, on eGullet would you prefer to be referred to as "Tony", "Anthony", or "Bourdain"? Or just "Chef"?  :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM