• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers, Dominique

Andre

Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers, Dominique Laurent 1997

Sometims we stare and wines that should be stored for some time and give it a shot anyway.

It is nice to have a wine of fine quality ready to drink at an early age. I guess this is the advantage of 1997.

Pale reddish center moving into lighter rims.

Very aromatic appealing ripe Burgundy nose focusing on black cherries, mild spice and a consistent combination of both.

Minutes later and some more soft fruity aromas develop with a buttery texture and topped with mild vanilla. The nose is complex and seems to last a very long time. Lingering on the act of smelling before tasting is simply a pleasure when it comes to this wine. Thirty minutes later and the nose keeps developing. – wow!!

In the mouth the wine is full-bodied, ripe filled with red cherry flavors and topped with a black cherry liquer, complimenting spice and the perfect amount of acidity. The acidity of this fine wine will guarantee its development into an even more complex Cazetiers even five years from now.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers, Dominique Laurent 1997

Sometims we stare and wines that should be stored for some time and give it a shot anyway.

It is nice to have a wine of fine quality ready to drink at an early age. I guess this is the advantage of 1997.

Pale reddish center moving into lighter rims.

Very aromatic appealing ripe Burgundy nose focusing on black cherries, mild spice and a consistent combination of both.

Minutes later and some more soft fruity aromas develop with a buttery texture and topped with mild vanilla. The nose is complex and seems to last a very long time. Lingering on the act of smelling before tasting is simply a pleasure when it comes to this wine. Thirty minutes later and the nose keeps developing. – wow!!

In the mouth the wine is full-bodied, ripe filled with red cherry flavors and topped with a black cherry liquer, complimenting spice and the perfect amount of acidity. The acidity of this fine wine will guarantee its development into an even more complex Cazetiers even five years from now.

Yum - sounds delicious! It sounds like it would have gone very well with the partridge I had for dinner last night.

With the game seasons starting up here in the UK and the abundance of wild mushrooms, Autumn is one of the most exciting times to drink good red Burgundy. That hint of undergrowth and forest floor allied with hedgerow fruit, and a languid, effortless elegance that belies the racy acidity and fine-grained tannin... It's morning here, but bring on dinner!

The 1997s have always drunk beautifully, which is handy given the firmness of the 1996s. I'm finding the 1998s, which have been in a closed state for some time are now coming round and have opened up again, which is quite exciting. They don't have the generosity of fruit of 1997 or 1999, but do show that compelling Pinot base note.