• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

You know I didn't want to get too pedantic about the parlance but, a vertical would be peanut butters from different years. Different peanut butters would be a horizontal.

Like in wine. Tasting 10 consecutive vintages of the same wine would be a vertical. Ten wines from the same vintage a horizontal. Maybe this is a vertical of horizontals. Ah there, I feel better now.

Oooh, I finally have a use for the '98, '99, and '00 bottles of Tuscan 1% milk my roommate has left in the fridge. The '99 in particular, as I recall, made a particularly nice batch of Kraft Macaroni & cheese. It'll be interesting to see how the flavor has developed over time.

You know I didn't want to get too pedantic about the parlance but, a vertical would be peanut butters from different years. Different peanut butters would be a horizontal.

Like in wine. Tasting 10 consecutive vintages of the same wine would be a vertical. Ten wines from the same vintage a horizontal. Maybe this is a vertical of horizontals. Ah there, I feel better now.

Oooh, I finally have a use for the '98, '99, and '00 bottles of Tuscan 1% milk my roommate has left in the fridge. The '99 in particular, as I recall, made a particularly nice batch of Kraft Macaroni & cheese. It'll be interesting to see how the flavor has developed over time.

tuscan 1% milk? could you elaborate?

if anyone's bringing raw milk i'm in.

where is this going to be? sorry--i don't have time to read the 4 pages of posts....

wine?

cheese? a horizontal of washed rind sheep's milk cheeses? or cow's....

Partial recap, participants in order of speaking up from the beginning: (what they are bringing will be addressed in subsequent posts)

1.yours truly

2.Sandra Levine

3.Nina

4.Beau

5.Rachel

6.Jason

7.Jaybee

8.Markstevens

9.Rosie

10.mr Rosie

11.Cabby

12.SobaAddict

13.Wilfrid

14.Yvonne

15.CathyL

16.Helena

17.ahr

18.Double O

19.Liza

20.Toby

I culled this list from posts starting in June so I expect there are people who don't even remember they signed up. The date is SUNDAY NOVEMBER 10, 2002 5:00PMsomewhere in Manhattan.

Those who cannot make it please speak up now because there is a limit for the space and others may want to join.

:sad:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

:smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Limit on space? How about a limit on number of tastings that can be accomplished on one occasion? If everyone brought, say, six samples, that's one hundred and twenty varied mouthfuls. I am starting to feel slightly queasy.

Limit on space?  How about a limit on number of tastings that can be accomplished on one occasion?  If everyone brought, say, six samples, that's one hundred and twenty varied mouthfuls.  I am starting to feel slightly queasy.

was 20 the maximum? cuz I'd like to come with a friend, and u r at 20 already. Am I in, or on the waiting list?

-Jason

Limit on space?  How about a limit on number of tastings that can be accomplished on one occasion?  If everyone brought, say, six samples, that's one hundred and twenty varied mouthfuls.  I am starting to feel slightly queasy.

Yes, we need a plan, some sort of menu.

tuscan 1% milk? could you elaborate?

if anyone's bringing raw milk i'm in.