• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Ears

Richard Kilgore

• 6 years later...
On 2/14/2012 at 9:30 AM, HungryChris said:

After watching them serve fried pig ear sandwiches at the Big Apple Inn on the Food Network or Travel Channel, I thought I would give it a try. I braised them for several hours. At that point the crunch was a little disturbing. I tried frying them and was not at all impressed. I took the remaining ones and sliced them into strips of finger food size and pickled them in a garlic and distilled vinegar brine for several days with a few hot peppers. The results were unusually good. I was also amazed at how jelly like the braising liquid was when chilled. The next time I do pickled pigs ears (and I definitely will) I will also do a batch of chicken liver pate and top with some of the braising liquid perhaps with a bit of decorative color.

HC

I seem to be stalking you in the meat department.....first beef tongue and now pig ears.....

IMG_4827.JPG.3f6903b094dadda2ed1f031650fe8c77.JPG

Thinking of throwing them in with the beef tongue to brine?  Good idea?  Terrible idea?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I seem to be stalking you in the meat department.....first beef tongue and now pig ears.....

IMG_4827.JPG.3f6903b094dadda2ed1f031650fe8c77.JPG

Thinking of throwing them in with the beef tongue to brine?  Good idea?  Terrible idea?

Interesting idea. I wonder how they would be smoked. Worth a try, I think. You reminded me that I still have some pickled ears and they should have been part of last nights hot weather spread. Of course there would only be one person eating them here.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Interesting idea. I wonder how they would be smoked. Worth a try, I think. You reminded me that I still have some pickled ears and they should have been part of last nights hot weather spread. Of course there would only be one person eating them here.

HC

There might be only one person eating them here too :laugh:

• Like 1

2012 March Recipes Pig ears.pdf

Quite a while ago, Anthony Bourdain proclaimed that Michael's Qaultiy Food and Beverage was the best restaurant in Miami. I have been going there ever since. On my first visit they served Deep Fried Pig's Ears as an appy. I was hooked. I asked for the recipe but was told they didn't have a recipe. I went home and experimented and sent my result to them. They asked if they could use it and I agreed. here it is. It is killer! 

Les Marmitons is an international men's cooking club with 19 chapters throughout North America. I am the webmaster and chief recipe writer for the NJ Chapter.

Paul

Edited by paulpegg (log)
  • Like 1

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

7 minutes ago, paulpegg said:

2012 March Recipes Pig ears.pdf

Quite a while ago, Anthony Bourdain proclaimed that Michael's Qaultiy Food and Beverage was the best restaurant in Miami. I have been going there ever since. On my first visit they served Deep Fried Pig's Ears as an appy. I was hooked. I asked for the recipe but was told they didn't have a recipe. I went home and experimented and sent my result to them. They asked if they could use it and I agreed. here it is. It is killer! 

Les Marmitons is an international men's cooking club with 19 chapters throughout North America. I am the webmaster and chief recipe writer for the NJ Chapter.

Paul

Oh man this looks so good!  Thank you for sharing this.  Do you recommend sticking with the 6-8 hour braise or do you think a pressure cooker would work?  

Pig ears are very popular in Chinese cuisine, as snacks, appetizers or full dishes.

Her are some crisp fried pig ears sold as a snack in many of my local food stores. My nearest supermarket also has 5-spice braised ears from time to time.

346539903_pigearchews.jpg.07a5294a30e4b9886fbbad1e298f2e4a.jpg

But probably the best pig ear dish I have eaten was this one in Hunan. I don't know how long they cooked it, but it was soft, spicy and delicious.

IMG_2907.jpg

Finally here is an excellent article and recipe from member and cookbook author @C J Phillips' blog.  I haven't cooked the recipe but have eaten it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was in my local supermarket this morning, remembered this thread and swung past the cooked pig ear section.

They had

ears4.jpg.70edaec884356d715cce4957c6f42e93.jpg

Stewed Pig Ears

ears3.jpg.7fa0a0230f8564da97d90bbb4d3a80b9.jpg

Ears braised in soy sauce

Although I had no real plan to do so, I ended up buying some sliced stewed ear, which later I will fry to render and crisp up the fattier parts. With some chilli, I guess. They are now having a rest in the freezer, but will turn up in the Snacking while eGulleting topic sometime very soon.

ears1.thumb.jpg.ab35b05a5bd5103e44574c948434ef4b.jpg

ears2.jpg.56fd1e13d65eb1e0f06716579ed666de.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I was in my local supermarket this morning, remembered this thread and swung past the cooked pig ear section.

They had

ears4.jpg.70edaec884356d715cce4957c6f42e93.jpg

Stewed Pig Ears

ears3.jpg.7fa0a0230f8564da97d90bbb4d3a80b9.jpg

Ears braised in soy sauce

Although I had no real plan to do so, I ended up buying some sliced stewed ear, which later I will fry to render and crisp up the fattier parts. With some chilli, I guess. They are now having a rest in the freezer, but will turn up in the Snacking while eGulleting topic sometime very soon.

ears1.thumb.jpg.ab35b05a5bd5103e44574c948434ef4b.jpg

ears2.jpg.56fd1e13d65eb1e0f06716579ed666de.jpg

YUM

Inspired by this thread on this 93 F day here, I decided to break out the pickled ears with some smoked salmon spread and a cold beer. I have grown to like a splash of hot sauce on the ears.

IMG_1171.thumb.JPG.4b177fc3e95b89a43a9520e069ec370b.JPGIMG_1173.thumb.JPG.866798c00438c7008fa9e209ddc0615d.JPG

This locally produced IPA has a name I like as much as the beer. Sea Hag.

HCIMG_1174.thumb.JPG.4fb0f57c42b4385afd15d6f7656da4ee.JPGIMG_1175.thumb.JPG.8070da3ef8449cb785c2c4517926b59f.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, paulpegg said:

Here is a shot of a test series I did in 2012. I braised some for 8 hours, pressure cooked some for 90 minutes and sous vide some for 24 hours. The sous vide version was the best. 

Pig Ears.jpg

What temperature sous vide if you don't mind sharing.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:56 AM, liuzhou said:

I totally get a kick out of this sentence, especially when I try to imagine what would happen if my local supermarket tried to set aside any real estate for pig ears in any condition. (Oh wait, the PetSmart just up the street from the supermarket does!)

<edited to fix where my fingers got ahead of my brain>

Edited by MelissaH (log)
  • Haha 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'd better tidy up and put the kettle on, then.

Turn north at Hong Kong.

And while you are at it, @Shelby, please have a stopover at Hong Kong and drop by 😋

• Haha 1