• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A16 or Incanto?

Stu-i-moto

Do we really have to choose? I love them both!

If you love 'em both, than you are a lucky person.

However, considering what else there is to eat in the city, it would be a pity to consume two meals that meat-wise, are remarkably similar. On A16's pasta, I am not particularly a fan and have stopped ordering any pasta-based dish at either this restaurant or it's sister establishment, SPQR.

are there any other new contenders in this genre? I was thinking of maybe Perbacco - but I haven't eaten there since just after it opened.

Any others?

I have not been to Perbacco in ages either but it is still consistently busy so I gather it is holding up. There are also great reports coming from Beretta but I haven't been there yet. I walked into Ducca on Thursday evening and was surprised to be told there was a 45-minute wait for a table, but that might be the result of Dine About Town; hard to say.

Heading to CA in a couple weeks. Incanto will be my first meal in California, heading straight there from the airport.

Was hoping the Iron Chef offal menu was still available, but its not. Still looking forward to it regardless.

I'd love to see A16 as well, but time is a factor. There are so many good places, its hard to choose where to go over 5 days.

Heading to CA in a couple weeks.  Incanto will be my first meal in California, heading straight there from the airport.

Was hoping the Iron Chef offal menu was still available, but its not.  Still looking forward to it regardless.

I'd love to see A16 as well, but time is a factor.  There are so many good places, its hard to choose where to go over 5 days.

Where are you coming from? For example, I would hardly recommend Italian San Francisco restaurants to someone from Boston or a Mission burrito to someone from SoCal.

Along with Incanto, DO consider, however, the following:

Aziza (no brainer)

Coi (best Molecular Gastronomy in the city)

Bar Crudo and/or Ame (to-die-for fish crudos)

SPQR (moreso than A16)

Canteen (better for lunch - same menu)

Thanks Carolyn. Coming from Maine, but I've lived, worked and extensively traveled around the US and Europe.

I'm a huge fan of offal and charcuterie/salumi/etc, and I'm curious to see what Chef Cosentino is doing at Incanto. I know there there are many great places in the area, and I hope to hit up some of those that you listed.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Any recent reports on Incanto? I've got a reservation in April, but all the comments in this thread about the food itself are pretty old. Is it still great, and worth the price? (FWIW, I'm trying to convince my sister to go despite the Yelp reviews--I know, I know--being less than uniformly stellar. What should I tell her?)

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

• 1 month later...

Am i the only one who thinks that the apps at both places are great, but the entrees are seriously lacking? I mean, come on, roasted piece of meat and a few leaves of arugula, and a wedge of lemon does not an entree make. I do really like both restaurants a ton, however i always skip the main courses and focus on what they do best. Basically, if im fiending for offal, i go to incanto, and if i would rather have some pizza, i go to A-16.

Edited by AsianEscoffier (log)

Am i the only one who thinks that the apps at both places are great, but the entrees are seriously lacking?  I mean, come on, roasted piece of meat and a few leaves of arugula, and a wedge of lemon does not an entree make.  I do really like both restaurants a ton, however i always skip the main courses and focus on what they do best.  Basically, if im fiending for offal, i go to incanto, and if i would rather have some pizza, i go to A-16.

I concur up to the point of Incanto's lamb neck -- therein lies a hunk of roast meat that is incomparable.