• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New England style hot dog buns in Nashville?

carpetbagger, esq.

Yep.

They were always labeled "New England Style Hot Dog Buns" at home in Central New York, so I guess that's why I still call them that. One of the few things I miss is the lack of a Wegman's down here...they always seemed to carry whatever we needed.

I could order them from here http://www.mapleandmore.com/, but I would prefer to find someplace local if possible.

And by New England style hot dog buns, I assume you are referring to the ones with no crust on the sides, and a split top ... usually used in making Lobster Rolls? :rolleyes:

I'd bet a lot more of those things end up going to the dogs than end up nestling crustaceans -- though that sounds like a killer combination to me.

In the old days, both Friendly's and Howard Johnsons (who called the dish a "Frankfort", no "er") sold their sausages wrapped in those great buns, and when I worked at the snack counter in McCrory's, we even had a special toaster for them. They soak up butter and then brown gently in a way that can only be decribed as sublime. I'm going to be in Boston next month, I think I'll pick up a case.

Sadly, except for one convenience store in a bad neighborhood in DC, I've never seen them sold in the grocery store south of the Connecticut state line.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Just moved from Boston to the midwest but Pepperidge Farm was the most prevalent split-top hot-dog bun that I remember seeing. I wonder if you could convince a local retailer who carries PF products to get you a flat of them.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Sadly, except for one convenience store in a bad neighborhood in DC, I've never seen them sold in the grocery store south of the Connecticut state line.

had no problem buying them here in southwest virginia suprisingly at the local Kroger & when i lived in asheville at harris teeter

cobblestone mill was the brand i believe

mmmmmm lobster rolls...like this bun?

gallery_23695_426_45821.jpg

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association