• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matzo Brei

jaybee

There are two schools of matzo brei making: the "scrambled egg' style, which is loose and the "fritatta"style.

Blovie is the matzo brei maestro in our house. His ratio is 2 sheets matzo to 1 egg with 1.5 matzos per person. He makes it fritatta style and has been known to throw in a hidden layer of mozzerella. The only allowable fat is butter.

We ate fish for lunch today and yesterday. I guess the matzo brei will come on the last days.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I've never tried it, but I'm thinking an asian-style Matzo brei, cooked in a stir fry oil in a wok with lots of chopped scallion, chinese leeks and some mushrooms with a dash of dark soy would be really good.

That does sound good. Maybe a little chili oil, garlic. On a similar note, matzo brei and chilaquiles make a tasty collision. Either chilaquiles made with matzo or brei made with tortillas, with variations. Yum.

-michael

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Does anyone out there like their matzah brie sweet instead of savory? Personally, I'm a savory kind of girl, but many of my friends prefer theirs with brown sugar and jam - more like french toast, pesach style.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

The matzo brei I grew up on -- and still make most often -- is neutral, neither sweet nor savory. So one could eat it with jam OR with extra salt and pepper. I only make a specifically savory version when I want it to be that way. Never heard of actually making it sweet: what do you do, add sugar to the soaking/eggs? Hmmm, might be worth a try.

Just a follow-up. Made matzo brei tonight with some leftover matzo. I think what I was doing wrong all along was not soaking the matzo for a bit in a colander with some really hot water first. Did that - pressed out the water. Scrambled it up with some onions and eggs. Delicious as is. Even better with sour cream and strawberries :smile: . Thanks for all the recipes and hints. Robyn

The matzo brei I grew up on -- and still make most often -- is neutral, neither sweet nor savory. So one could eat it with jam OR with extra salt and pepper. I only make a specifically savory version when I want it to be that way. Never heard of actually making it sweet: what do you do, add sugar to the soaking/eggs?  Hmmm, might be worth a try.

I have never made anything but sweet matzoh brei. Though plain matzoh can be used, I prefer egg matzoh, which I break up into small pieces in a bowl and soak in hot water. After the pieces get very limp, I squeeze out most of the water, chop the matzoh up with the edge of a spoon, then add one egg, a little milk, and generous sprinklings of sugar and cinnamon. In a non-stick pan, I melt some butter along with some peanut oil, pour in the mixture, spread it out to make a nice circle, fry until brown and a little crispy on one side, then flip it over, finish cooking the other side, plate it, and sprinkle some sugar on top. As a variation, I add chopped apples to the basic mixture.

Edited by rozrapp (log)

Sweet matzo brie simply doesn't work for me at all .. rather, I enjoy savoury, salami-enhanced (or hot dogs if that is on hand), mushroomy, green peppery, and onion-laden matzo brie, golden hued and crisped at the edges, custardy within ... :biggrin:

but I am so tired of matzos by now that it may well be Tisha b'Av before I can look those critters in the eye again (I know, no food on this day! and no eyes on the over-anthropomorphized matzo!!) :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 11 months later...

It is tradition for me to make matzah brei for the extended family while everyone is still together for pesach. I love using schmaltz, though I don't always, and I slice one onion per person, slowly cook it until it is well carmelized, then add the matzah and then eggs. Lots of salt and pepper. Yum.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Only sweet for me, although I use splenda now.

I use hot water, soak for a minute, pour it off. Add a beaten egg mixed with cinnamon, vegetable oil. I serve with sugar free syrup( mixed with a bit of real maple), or light jam.

Never had matzo brei until I married my husband so my recipe is from them. Coarsely break up matzo in a bowl. Pour hot boiling water over it and let sit. Drain and break eggs over it and stir together. (About 1 matzo to 2 eggs). They always cooked in butter, "scrambling" the mixture until well done. Sprinkled with heaping teaspoons of granulated sugar!

Of course these were the in-laws that served grape jelly on scrambled eggs to my baby girl eons ago!

I love matzo brie both savory and sweet. I employ the soak, squeeze and coat with egg method. For savory, I like onion sautéed in schmaltz (I always have a jar of home rendered schmaltz on hand). A great variation is onion and lox a la eggs, lox and onion or fried kosher salami.

Sweet matzo brie takes me back to my childhood. Plain matzo brie with a sprinkling of sugar. As a special treat mom would soak the matzo in some Manischevitz and proceed as usual. A sprinkle of sugar and your instantly transported to zibent himmel (seventh heaven).

Eliahu Yeshua

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

- Alice May Brock

My family's savory matzoh brei unlike almost all the foods of my childhood came by way of my father's family. It's nice actually since though my father passed away many years ago when I was just in college, every Pessach when I make it I think of him.

The big difference between our matzoh brei and most others is that I break up the matzoh into pieces about 2" (not regular shapes of course I just gave the measurement for approximation) and rather than soak it in water it goes right into the eggs which have been beaten with just the amount of water I might normally add to eggs for an omlette. (I use approximately one piece of matzoh for each egg if I'm using extra large or jumbo eggs...figure accordingly.) I then thinly slice an onion and saute in butter until it begins to brown. Then I pour in the egg/matzoh mixture. I smooth it down so it fills the pan. and I let it cook on a low flame (sometimes I cover to hasten the process.) I season with salt and alot of pepper. When it has come together I either turn it gently as a whole or if so large as to be unwieldy, I cut it into wedges like a pie and turn them individually. I lightly brown the second side and then serve.

I usually serve it together with whipped cottage cheese. The difference between this and many matzoh bries I've eaten is that since the matzoh isn't presoaked it retains abit of crunch here and there. As I wrote this I realized that in someways it resembles a persian eggah though of course we're ashkenazi...My mouth is watering as I think of it...

Edited by gestalt768 (log)

I usually make a plain matzo brei to serve with a sprinkle of sugar and jam, but Jason requested a savory one this morning. Sauteed onions and mushrooms with schmaltz. Meanwhile, soaked broken matzo in hot water, drain, mix with beaten eggs -- about one egg per matzo. I didn't squeeze the matzo, but just drained it for a few minutes. After the veg has browned, allow it to cool a bit and mix into matzo-egg mixture, add salt & pepper. Switch to non-stick skillet and make pancake like matzo brei with a little more schmaltz in the pan. A sprinkle of salt & pepper and it's ready to eat. Mmm. I tried it with jam, it's good with jam even when savory!

matzo brie, this is the thread for me.

i loooovvvvveee matzo brie. make it simple, plain: 2 sheets matzo to one egg, soak in water (my ex husband used milk, and sugar and orange flower water and cinnamon, then cooked it in butter like a pancake, served it with jam or sugar. since i'm a strictly savoury and crisp girl is it any wonder things didn't work out).

so like i said: i like mine crisp and savory, cooked in extra virgin olive oil, with a sprinkling of coarse grains of salt after the cooking (otherwise it will get soggy if you add them too soon). and you must break the matzo up so you have chunks, and bits, and crispness, and then chunks with soft egginess inside and crisp edges on the outside....

and i think that who you eat your matzo brie with is as important as the way you make it.

marlena

ps my beloved grandmother used to make matzo brie almost every sunday morning for breakast. she served it was crisp bacon. i model myself after her. i haven't mentioned what else she made for breakfast to go with it all: corned beef hash. boiled potatoes. scrambled eggs. wheatena. fresh fruit. stewed prunes. watermelon. green onions. you get the picture.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

anyone tired of matzo brie yet?

i never think its possible, but i do come close during pesach.

i have been thinking about porcini/cepe matzo brie. went to make it last night but didn't have any porcini/cepe! and omigod, was all out of matzo, too! (we'be been busy eaters!).

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Not sure of all these new age variations, for me the classic is best - with the absolute key being copious quantities of butter added during the frying stage. I also add a dollop of butter when it's served up. Top with salt & pepper. I use salted butter in this recipe as it adds more flavour than unsalted.

The hotel we stayed at served a sweet matzo brei which had a faint undercurrent of vanilla flavor. It confirmed for me that I prefer the dish to be savory.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 8 months later...

The recipe I was handed from my grandmother is one egg per matzoh.

Break the matzoh into pieces about one-inch square. Run cold water over them to soak them, just a little, and then pour it out. Break one egg per matzoh piece into a bowl and beat, adding salt and pepper. Pour eggs over matzoh pieces and mix well. Cook in a frying pan greased with butter, stirring kind of like scrambled egges. It's done when it looks done.

• 3 months later...
So the seders are over, anyone make matzo brei yet? I did this morning, savory with mushrooms and onions. Mmm.

Me too - pictures on my blog. Sweet though - a la french toast.

I go for the scrambled egg style. I know some people do it almost like french toast but for one person I like to break up one sheet of matzoh, soak briefly in water or milk, drain and fry in butter to dry it a little and get some color and flavor going in the matzoh add 2 eggs beaten and cook slowly until done.

Since I only eat matzo brei during pesach, I try to eat it as much as possible. And always the same way, with one and a half sheets soaked in water, squeezed and then coated in an egg and fried in butter. There is some salt involved. And it is always eaten here with copious amounts of strawberry jam. Hey, I've matured, it was strawberry jelly when I was a kid.

Some of these savory ideas do sound good and might make a supper before the week is out - thanks!

• 5 years later...

It's matzoh season, and time for a few breakfasts of matzoh brie. I've been making it for years, and have a few recipes in my files, but this year I'd like to try something different. So, how do you make yours? Any preference for a brand or type of matzoh? Or for other ingredients? Thanks!

... Shel

I used to take these home to my father in CA from N.E.:

http://www.vtcheese.com/members/blythedale/blythedale.htm

The Brie and Camembert are exceptional, especially if you pick the oldest 'by date' in the dairy case and leave them to ripen on the counter 'to suit your needs."

Maybe they now ship to CA?

other than that i get the Trader's camembert that 'bulges' the most with the highest fat content and do the same.

Of course, that would depend on how 'ripe' you might like either of these cheeses.

Unfortunately Ive not had the pleasure to try both the VT cheeses 'equally ripe' at the same time.

Id love to see a pic of your results!

Edited by heidih
Fix link (log)